Menu
Expat.com

can seniors travel to Davao immigration office

Last activity 16 June 2021 by Enzyte Bob

stumpednomore

Hi everybody. I've been in the Phils over 15 years. I have to renew my ACR-I card but I'm 65 and supposed to stay home. This has not been enforced much but at the province border when you enter the Davao Province there is some enforcement. I tried to renew it in Feb. when I did annual report but they told me to come back in June because it was too early.

Now the travel restriction due to covid are back in effect according to my wife who watches the news. A lot of what's on the news is hysteria-mongering. I find enforcement relaxes pretty soon after new rules are made.

Does anyone have any actual experience with traveling to Davao for required immigration purposes if you're over the age limit due to covid restrictions?

What will happen if I don't renew the ACR-I in time?

I've scoured the Bureau of Immigration website but it didn't have any relevant info that I could find.

I live near Panabo. I've managed to bluster my way into grocery stores when security guards tried to say I was too old due to covid restrictions, but the dudes at the province border are not to be blustered.

I'm leaving in an hour (should have posted this last week) and fortunately the border is very close so if I'm turned back, we'll just go shopping and go home. But I'm worried about fines, penalties, the firing squad--whatever they do to old farts who are damned if you do and damned if you don't due to covid travel restrictions. I have a 13A permanent resident visa, married to a Filipina for 15 years, my wife says 16.

Nice to meet you and thanks in advance for any advice.

bigpearl

Hey stumped, welcome to the forum.
You are probably on the road now or with luck made it all the way to immi. If not let us know.

A thought and something we did a year ago was going to our local municipal hall and getting a travel exemption as well as medical clearance so we could travel into another province to simply have the car serviced, I'm sure a need to visit immi would be a higher priority.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

stumpednomore

Thanks Steve, I will look into travel exemption for future reference. It went OK yesterday, we were waved on by a few guys in uniform, one wanted to talk, ask how old I was, etc. I kept it simple, waved my papers and said "Official business immigration" in a tone of voice that indicated "disturbance alert", and he thought about it and let me go on to Davao after my wife explained to him what Bureau of Immigration is.

Once I got there, they tried to refuse to help me, gave me the old "come back Thursday" routine, "the in-charge is not here" and tried to use covid skeleten crew as an excuse. But he wasn't going to get rid of me that easy after what I'd been through and paying P600 for a taxi ride. (I had guessed that if I rode the bus as I normally would, I'd automatically get sent home for being 65 yrs old.) He ended up taking the application even though I annoyed him by disturbing his lunch break, but the cashier was not there due to covid skeleten crew excuse, so my wife gets to go back and pay for it when/if they remember to call me and tell me when to come back.

The good news is that I don't have to go with her.

As for picking up the ID when it's ready, who knows when or how that will happen. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll actually make the ID and give it to my wife when she pays for it. However if they did anything that efficiently or considerately, I think I'd have a heart attack.

As usual white people are all assumed to be fantastically wealthy with nothing better to do than "come back Thursday" no matter how much traveling and expense that entails.

Other than that, I have no complaints. I was still allowed into the mall, and got my well-earned laugh for the day when I had to show my QR code to get OUT of the grocery store. As expected, the guard didn't get the joke.

Enzyte Bob
stumpednomore wrote:

Once I got there, they tried to refuse to help me, gave me the old "come back Thursday" routine.

As usual white people are all assumed to be fantastically wealthy with nothing better to do than "come back Thursday" no matter how much traveling and expense that entails.

Hasta Manana Gringo

Articles to help you in your expat project in Davao

• Work visa for the Philippines
    Work visa for the Philippines

If you're a prospective expatriate looking to start a new career in the Philippines, understanding the visa ...

• Visas for the Philippines
    Visas for the Philippines

If you're a foreign national intending to move to the Philippines, you can choose among different types of ...

• Obtaining a 13A visa
    Obtaining a 13A visa

As my wife is Filipino I applied for a 13A non-quota immigration visa while we were living in the UK. I submitted ...

• Work in Davao
    Work in Davao

Located in Mindanao, Davao is a very dynamic city in economic terms, providing many professional opportunities for ...

• Getting married in the Philippines
    Getting married in the Philippines

Getting married in the Philippines provides a backdrop of immense beauty through stunning beaches, tropical ...

• Accommodation in Manila
    Accommodation in Manila

There are lots of renting options to choose from when relocating to Manila. Most expats in the Philippines live in ...

• Accommodation in Iloilo
    Accommodation in Iloilo

Iloilo, nicknamed the 'Heart of the Philippines', is a province stretching over 4,663 km² in the ...

• Accommodation in Davao
    Accommodation in Davao

Davao is an established metropolitan area with its capital, Davao City, catching up to the main Philippine cities ...

All of Davao's guide articles