Working in Belgium while living in Netherlands or vice versa

Hello everyone,

I have a question about cross border working.
Currently I'm married and we are both non-eu (Turkish) citizens. My wife accepted a job offer from Netherlands and we already started residence/work permit process for both of us with the sponsorship of her company. At the same time I declared my current company that I would like to move to Netherlands with my wife. Currently they are checking options but what we have so far is that most probably they will be able to offer me a job in Belgium(not in Netherlands) including work&residence permit. So where we ended up is that my wife will start working in Netherlands and I will start working in Belgium. But we don't want to live apart if possible. So my question is can we live together in Netherlands or Belgium together and keep working for our companies in different countries?

Yes I think so, I don't think any law forbids people from living in one country and working in another, it's just that you will pay the price of the inconvenience due to the distance of the work place. Sometimes the spouse whose work place is farthest may decide to come home only the weekends or very late every night.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Many people do it.  I lived in a border town with Germany and every day it goes on, all perfectly legally - they even arranged special buses and trains to take people to work across the border.  Here's what the Dutch Government (IND) say on the subject - link.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello again,

Thank you so much for the responses! I will try to push this,then.