Menu
Expat.com

Moving to Bulgaria solo

Last activity 29 November 2021 by Johnavann

Cheryl

Hello everybody,

Moving to Bulgaria is a challenge in itself, but even more when you decide to go alone. If this was your case when you arrived, we would like you to share your experience. It might help other people who are also preparing for this new life in Bulgaria.

Do you have any tips for people who are about to move to Bulgaria on their own? Is the country suitable, for instance, for a single woman?

What was your state of mind when you arrived in Bulgaria?

What type of accommodation did you choose: house-share, self-contained accommodation or apartment complex?

How did your integration go once settled? Do you think that being alone made it easier to make friends?

Did you encounter any particular difficulties, being alone when you arrived? If you had to do it all over again, would you take a chance?

Thank you for your contribution!

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

LL0rd

Hi Cheryl

Cheryl wrote:

Do you have any tips for people who are about to move to Bulgaria on their own? Is the country suitable, for instance, for a single woman?

Well, it depends on many things. First, the people here are very open. It's normal that unknown people talk to you on the street. I don't know your state of mind, but in Germany and in the US it's often a no go #meetoo.

Cheryl wrote:

What type of accommodation did you choose: house-share, self-contained accommodation or apartment complex?

I'm going to stay for a longer time in Bulgaria, so I rented an 3-room apartment here and currently I'm searching for something to buy.

Cheryl wrote:

How did your integration go once settled? Do you think that being alone made it easier to make friends?

For me, it's hard to find new Bulgarian friends. The main reason for that is, that I don't speak the Bulgarian language and most Bulgarian people do not speak English. The second reason is, that I have to work. So, I have almost no time to get around. Most people here that are more or less so-called "friends" are from the German-speaking community. And well - I also speak German.

Cheryl wrote:

Did you encounter any particular difficulties, being alone when you arrived? If you had to do it all over again, would you take a chance?

The main difficult is, that the Bulgarian people are living a slow life. Everything is much slower, than in Germany (besides the traffic - here they drive 80-100km/h in a 30 Zone wink.png ). Instead of using machines, they do manual labor. You just can't order something on Amazon with Prime service and get it delivered the next day.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't sign a contract for 6 months for an apartment. I would come here for 2-3 weeks and then find another apartment, that I had a look on. And I wouldn't also show, that I have money. Because I have the feeling, that some people here just want to have your money.

SophieSL

Dear Cheryl,

I just read your message and hope that all is getting ready smoothly for you.

I did not move on my own but with my husband. We have a subsidiary of or company and already had about 35 people in the company when we arrived 3 years ago. So, it felt a little less lonely.

Bulgarian are usually kind and welcoming and if you move here for business purposes, you should hopefully be able to enjoy the after-work many gatherings. But obviously, Covid has changed things and this is the real question: where are you arriving? Do you have to work remotely?

Follow the FB group "Foreigners in Bulgaria" or the same in Sofia and don't hesitate to ask to meet people. I have seen this a few times recently.

Depending on your area and your housing conditions, I hope that you will find people to connect with. And if you have the time, learn the language. This will certainly help you.

Wishing you the best and don't hesitate to keep in contact if you need any support.

Sophie

Johnavann

My wife have now been in Bulgaria for 7 years, 2 of them as permanent residents.

From my experience I would say most people are very friendly and outgoing however you must keep your cards close to your vest and do not divulge anything about who or what you are till you are comfortable.

There are a number of organizations that welcome foreigners and a number of concert and music events that you will meet people at.  As a foreigner you are an attractive person to meet because you share different experiences.  Most people ask me why I moved here and are astonished at my answers as they believe America is still what America once was.  It is not! 

You will also be considered a target as you "Must be Wealthy" if you are not from Bulgaria.  Please interact with other expats and go to expat events and go slow.  If you do you will have many happy experiences.   If you do not you might become disappointed.   Reach out to expats whenever you go to visit a new city and you will find a number of expats who are anxious to assist you. 

Bulgarians are loving people however there always a few who create a bad vibe as in any culture.  Don't give up, go slow and build a network. 

So, Language---it is hard to learn but what seems impossible to a new visitor soon sorts itself out.   Waiters are the best people to learn words from.  Good luck.   If you ever come to Burgas or St. Vlas, reach out to us and we will host you for an evening.

Johnavann

That is very good advice.    The country has many wonderful laces to live so visit as many as you can as often as you can and wait till you find the right place to settle down.

Johnavann

That is very good advice.    The country has many wonderful laces to live so visit as many as you can as often as you can and wait till you find the right place to settle down.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

• Giving Birth In Bulgaria
    Giving Birth In Bulgaria

If you find yourself pregnant in Bulgaria, you may be wondering if you will have to head home to have your baby. ...

• Education in Bulgaria
    Education in Bulgaria

Educational Structures and Background:

• Leisure in Bulgaria
    Leisure in Bulgaria

Wondering how to keep yourself busy after work and during week-ends? Here is an overview of leisure activities ...

• Opening a bank account in Bulgaria
    Opening a bank account in Bulgaria

Do you wish to open a bank account in Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet
    Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet

Would you like your pet to accompany you during your trip to Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Accommodation in Plovdiv
    Accommodation in Plovdiv

Plovdiv is a very popular city with expatriates, more particularly with students. Find out how to find ...

• Living in Bulgaria
    Living in Bulgaria

After living in Bulgaria for several years, I look back on the decision to move abroad. At first there was a ...

• Moving to Bulgaria
    Moving to Bulgaria

With rising costs of living, falling house prices, lack of mortgage lending and increasing social and economic ...

All of Bulgaria's guide articles