Tet in Nha Trang

Hello everyone,

I was trying to figure out where to go for Tet and I was thinking to go to Nha Trang as I was looking for a warm place with beaches (already been in Phu Quoc).
Do any one of you have experience or knowledge about the situation of Nha Trang during Tet holidays? In the sense of being everything closed down or not?

Otherwise any other please suggested to visit during Tet?
(Coming from Hanoi)

Thanks in advance.

Irasshaimase wrote:

Hello everyone,

I was trying to figure out where to go for Tet and I was thinking to go to Nha Trang as I was looking for a warm place with beaches (already been in Phu Quoc).
Do any one of you have experience or knowledge about the situation of Nha Trang during Tet holidays? In the sense of being everything closed down or not?

(Coming from Hanoi)

Thanks in advance.

Last fall I passed through Nha Trang and found it to be very deserted then, with many smaller hotels, restaurants and other services closed because of the lack of tourist trade during the pandemic.

So I guess it depends upon what you want to experience.

If you're looking for a place that has big, memorable Tết celebrations, Nha Trang is probably not your best choice, especially since many workers in tourist destinations leave their employers understaffed when they go home for the holidays.

You might be able to get a reasonable deal at one of the full service hotels such as the Mường Thanh Luxury on the main street across from the beach & promenade, having the beach virtually to yourself.

But I'd be willing to bet that during Tết they downsize their otherwise grand breakfast buffet and only offer a few items à la carte (my personal experience with hotels in Đà Nẵng, Vũng Tàu and Phú Quốc during Tết).

If travel restrictions between HCMC and Vũng Tàu have been eased, that is another option to consider.

You would probably have a few more options for Western food there, but it also becomes pretty deserted during the main days of Tết.

Irasshaimase wrote:

Hello everyone,

(Coming from Hanoi)

Thanks in advance.

Last TET I rode with the family from HCMC to Nha Trang then to Da Lat back to Phan Thiet, La Gi Vung Tau, HCMC the MOST rooms booked in any hotel we stayed at was 6, like OB said everywhere was deserted, we even had a whole resort to ourself at La Gi everywhere we went was like a ghost town due to covid, however the brewery on the beach in Nha Trang was open great beers and food  :top:
Mui Ne area had a few places open, Vung Tau was just about closed only small local places open.
May I also offer Da Nang/Hoi An into the mix there may be a few more places open and Hoi An leaves Nha Trang for dead as a place to visit IMO.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

If you're looking for a place that has big, memorable Tết celebrations, Nha Trang is probably not your best choice, especially since many workers in tourist destinations leave their employers understaffed when they go home for the holidays.

What would you say to be a place with big, memorable Tết celebrations?

Andybris2020 wrote:

May I also offer Da Nang/Hoi An into the mix there may be a few more places open and Hoi An leaves Nha Trang for dead as a place to visit IMO.

Da Nang was also my second choice, but now I understand it should be my first one :)

What about Da Lat? I have a friend there who I'd like to visit, but I don't want to spend the whole Tet week there.

Irasshaimase wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Da Nang was also my second choice, but now I understand it should be my first one :)

What about Da Lat? I have a friend there who I'd like to visit, but I don't want to spend the whole Tet week there.

Yep great as well

Irasshaimase wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Dalat is usually, very,very crowded on the days after Tet.

Irasshaimase wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

What would you say to be a place with big, memorable Tết celebrations?

Well as I implied, my three experiences with Tết we're pretty low key.

It's my goal someday to experience Tết in Hà Nội (from whence you are departing) because my friends there tell me that the flowers are also very beautiful.

It probably wouldn't be on the beach but I'd be interested to know if there are places in the delta that are renowned for their celebrations.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

It's my goal someday to experience Tết in Hà Nội (from whence you are departing) because my friends there tell me that the flowers are also very beautiful.

It probably wouldn't be on the beach but I'd be interested to know if there are places in the delta that are renowned for their celebrations.

Did I miss something, I understood that Hà Nội would be empty during Tet (I also found some pictures from last year stating that)?

colinoscapee wrote:

Do you know why is so?
And by "after" you mean still in the week of Tet or after the end of it?

Irasshaimase wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Did I miss something, I understood that Hà Nội would be empty during Tet (I also found some pictures from last year stating that)?

I think you're especially correct this year, and in most years much of the city empties.

But it's still the capital of Vietnam and the celebration itself I'm told is quite spectacular, at least it always was during pre-covid times.

Irasshaimase wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Do you know why is so?
And by "after" you mean still in the week of Tet or after the end of it?

Do a search online about Dalat, you will see what I mean.
The actual day of Tet is the first day of the new year, the days following it is when it gets busy.

Here is very good info regading TET, tourism, whats likely to be closed or open.
2021 ups and downs of Vietnam tourism
Link to story

Information provided by the government: Nha Trang not to organize New Year's Eve countdown celebration.
Detail: [Link moderated]

Reminder to new members
Code of Conduct
ADVERTISING:

The forum is not aimed at helping you to promote your company and products. If your thread is of a commercial nature, please use the dedicated sections: we invite you to register in the Vietnam Business Directory or to have a look at our Advertising page.

The forum can't be used to promote external groups or organizations. Should you want to organize gatherings/activities with the other members, kindly get in touch with us: we would be pleased to help you.

Check the weather before you go. Nha trang has been supper rainy/windy lately. The beach is too dangerous to swim. If you travel, After 2nd day of Tet, around 3 or 4th day businesses should be open. However, even now it is pretty deserted due to heavy rain. Not crowded. Which is nice if you want that

Check the weather before you go. Nha trang has been supper rainy/windy lately. The beach is too dangerous to swim. If you travel, After 2nd day of Tet, around 3 or 4th day businesses should be open. However, even now it is pretty deserted due to heavy rain. Not crowded. Which is nice if you want that
-@nhi hoang76

Hello nhi hoang76, and welcome to expat.com!

Thank you for your weather/Tet post on Nha Trang. Though the thread you have posted on is a little old, your report will certainly be of value to people searching for current info on Nha Trang.

Please feel free to post further reports/observation/questions, or start a thread on an entirely new topic, by visiting here (link).

Again, welcome to expat.com