Planning to relocate to Nha Trang from Australia

Morning
OK so I've recently visited for the 3rd time and the timing just feels right, I've always envisaged myself ending up in an Asian country and Nha Trang ticks all the boxes. Australia is too regimented, expensive, cold [Melbourne winters] I'm done
I'm planning on returning in November for a few weeks and next year thinking to blow my 3 months long service dipping my toe in the water, so need to set some things in motion.
I'm a young 58 male, fit, heathy, not ready to retire so need to be earning some money also I'm not one to sit around.
I've a trade background [Plumbing] and have worked in Facility Management for 16 years managing shopping centres and business parks etc so I've industrial, commercial and retail experience.
What to do? look for a job? buy into an existing business, maybe in the service industry? Is teaching English an option?
this is the very start of my "journey" so I've lots to investigate and would appreciate any advice, links, contacts, criticism... :)
Hi there. I definitely understand. I left the US some years ago and just moved around Southeast Asia for years. I did have a retirement visa extension in Cambodia which I would return to. Then the pandemic came. I lived in Hanoi Vietnam, went through the process of starting an LLC for a technology startup, but the stars did not align so I left. Been living now in Mexico but in a week and days I'm going to Cambodia. Get my retirement extension. Live in Siem Reap. Most of all I want back the travel between places including many 30 day evisa in Vietnam if nothing changes. I also want Malaysia and Thailand and all the places I would run around in.

Do your dreams at 58. Live your life. Just be sure you understand visa laws. Some places give visa free travel. Others have different requirements. Vietnam now has 30 day evisa. I'm not sure about your work things. There are much smarter people that can help you with work. I'm old. Retired and I don't work.

I do think we all should be able to see our dreams. Be happy in life. Find what it is that makes you happy. For me it would be living in Hanoi. It has my soul and spirit.  But I can't or won't because of visa laws. Maybe your dream will become real in different directions. I hope so and wish you the most happiness and joy finding your very own path.

Take care.
@Terry
Following on from Mp's comments, you can look here to see if there are any jobs that you may fit, you can also add your resume.

To come and work you need a work permit, VN companies usually employ "Experts" they cant find locally and will sponsor them to come and work for them which gets the the correct paperwork to stay for the length of your contract.

Without a work permit you cant legally work and can only stay 30 days at the moment & I doubt if you would be happy on the couple of bucks an hr the local tradies get.

Teaching: to be sponsored usually means a degree and experince, have a look at the teaching jobs in the job section to see examples of what skills you need.

Good luck

Edit:
I have asked Admin to close your other thread on same subject and redirect all to this thread

Andy
Expat Team
Thanks mate, for some reason I expected to get a reply that closed me down and dashed all my dreams!

I'm hearing a lot lately of people that have had their retirement all planned then a health issue changes all that or something like a pandemic blows everything out of the water.
So it seems like a good time for me, currently single and unsettled, I have my health, plenty of leave... so I need to find out.
I guess depending on what work I fall into might decide what Visa I'm working from...certainly something I need to research.

All the best to you too
Thanks for the link Andy

yes I had heard that about a degree, also I think there's a Cert you need to do which I hear is pretty tough
@Terry
If you can hit the "quote" or name of who you are answering, it makes it easier for people following along.
Thanks for the link Andy

yes I had heard that about a degree, also I think there's a Cert you need to do which I hear is pretty tough
- @TerrySE

And a lot of them promising the earth if you do theirs.
You just have to think who would hire and sponsor a newbie with a cert and no experience and thats the kind of place you are going to wind up working for, while the experienced teachers get the better jobs.

With your leadership experience you may luck in finding a company, there is mining, wind, solar here so you never know,,,

Morning

so I'm planning to come back as soon as October, seems like a 3 month Visa isn't an option at the moment from what I can see, border crossings are a way around this, can someone confirm please?

Hi Terry. See this post from OB.

That being said, I would not be at all surprised to see VN Immigration rules change again prior to October.

@TerrySE

I see that you are subscribed to the Nha Trang forum. More updates/topics are available here

@Aidan in HCMC

thank you for the links, very useful info

@TerrySE

My first and only visit to Nha Trang was exactly how some previous visitors had described.

Chinese and Russians behaving badly, smoking and spitting while eating, garbage all over the sidewalks and scooters even running on sidewalks.

Even the menus in restaurants are in Russian.

It is a beach with an extended town with no planning.

It's a place to run away from and never come back.

Maybe things may have changed with Covid and I do not know.

Choose your location carefully.

@TerrySE
My first and only visit to Nha Trang was exactly how some previous visitors had described.
Chinese and Russians behaving badly, smoking and spitting while eating, garbage all over the sidewalks and scooters even running on sidewalks.
Even the menus in restaurants are in Russian.
It is a beach with an extended town with no planning.
It's a place to run away from and never come back.
Maybe things may have changed with Covid and I do not know.
Choose your location carefully.
-@lifeisgoodok

Certainly a lot quieter since COVID tourist wise, didn't see many Russians or Chinese, not that were in my face anyway, you've a good point though, eventually you would think this would return to how it once was.

Everything is going to hinge on work for me I feel, work and Visa's

I'm returning in a month and will spend a month there so will get to know the place a little better

I would love to catch up with any expats who live there to get some gauge of the place.

@TerrySE

I was also looking at places to move over 4 years ago from USA and Vietnam was not even on my list.

As it happened to be in between countries I was visiting to check up, I decided to spend some time in Vietnam.

Frankly I was quite impressed and found it to be the best of the countries I was visiting in Asia.

If you like the beach, Da Nang is a calm and peaceful big city. It's a big city with a beach. Clean also.

It does not have the very late club scene and that is something I am past it. lol

If you have time, check it out. 

@Andybris2020 You can get a 3 year visa waiver if you marry à Vietnamese girl.

@lifeisgoodok There are a few smaller towns just up the coast and les touristy. Worth a visit.

@moines56 I asked him he Vietnamese guys was it cheaper to do visa runs or marry a Vietnamese woman. They all said the visa run is financially and emotionally cheaper.

@Andybris2020 You can get a 3 year visa waiver if you marry à Vietnamese girl.
-@moines56

5 year VEC or 3 year TRC

@TerrySE

Terry,

Dreams do not go away but can be delayed.

During 2018/2019 I went to some selected countries that met my requirements (minimum close to beach, good return on the dollar, not too small and not too big a city as we get older, we need company and communications to stay healthy, not too high lodging and utilities, healthcare, transportation etc).

I went to Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia in Latin Americas. I have already been to Argentina, Paraguay, Brazil, Peru.

Been to many Asian countries but this time using my criteria as above. I chose Vietnam first even with its complicated visas first followed by Thailand and last Philippines.

While in Philippines, I had a fall on a slippery boat.

Returning to USA, It resulted in one surgery after another and with Covid-19, my move away from USA took a backburner.

With Covid and variants, I have decided to get all my body fixed before I make my move away from USA next year.

I have done more research and Malayasia seems a better destination now than before.

Dreams are just delayed and not expired. lol

@TerrySE
Terry,
Dreams do not go away but can be delayed.
During 2018/2019 I went to some selected countries that met my requirements (minimum close to beach, good return on the dollar, not too small and not too big a city as we get older, we need company and communications to stay healthy, not too high lodging and utilities, healthcare, transportation etc).
I went to Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia in Latin Americas. I have already been to Argentina, Paraguay, Brazil, Peru.
Been to many Asian countries but this time using my criteria as above. I chose Vietnam first even with its complicated visas first followed by Thailand and last Philippines.
While in Philippines, I had a fall on a slippery boat.
Returning to USA, It resulted in one surgery after another and with Covid-19, my move away from USA took a backburner.
With Covid and variants, I have decided to get all my body fixed before I make my move away from USA next year.
I have done more research and Malayasia seems a better destination now than before.
Dreams are just delayed and not expired. lol
-@lifeisgoodok

sorry to hear that lifeisgoodok....you still on track for 2023?

It can be shit like that happening that dashes those dreams forever.....

so anyway, I had my 2 months holiday, 25 days of it in NT....still feel its the place for me to be

plane is to get my house in order, literally, finish the apartment to be able to rent, sell off car and bike etc downsize and.....go

Sign a lease when I get there and mooch around looking for work opportunity's...what could go wrong? 1f644.svg

sorry to hear that lifeisgoodok....you still on track for 2023?
It can be shit like that happening that dashes those dreams forever.....

so anyway, I had my 2 months holiday, 25 days of it in NT....still feel its the place for me to be
plane is to get my house in order, literally, finish the apartment to be able to rent, sell off car and bike etc downsize since you've and.....go
Sign a lease when I get there and mooch around looking for work opportunity's...what could go wrong? 1f644.svg
-@TerrySE

Seriously?

A lot could go wrong, but that seems to be a rhetorical question from you, since you've already been given some very good and serious advice as to why you probably aren't qualified to live here more than 30 days at a time.

"Mooching" work without a work permit is illegal and can get you deported & blacklisted.

One of the main reasons the government continues its strict visa policy is because this country was virtually overrun with "moochers" prior to COVID, and they are determined to not let that happen again.

Also, there are recent anecdotal reports that immigration is putting a halt to consecutive evisas after a number not made clear yet (3? 6? 9?)

Nobody knows for sure because that's still a rumor, but there is definitely NO guarantee that subsequent evisas will be approved, so anyone liquidating all assets and "moving" here needs to be well aware of the risks.

Keep Cambodia in mind as a nearby alternate destination if/when your Nha Trang dream finally fizzles out.

Please don't get me wrong.

It would put a sincere smile on my face to ultimately read your story of success in Nha Trang.

But there are already reports from countless people on social media who came here last spring with very similar plans and they are finally throwing in the towel.

Good luck!

🤞😎🧧

One of the main reasons the government continues its strict visa policy is because this country was virtually overrun with "moochers" prior to COVID, and they are determined to not let that happen again.

The way I see it, it's ultimately because of the gradual transition from developing country to a more developed country (or to a less under developed country, depending on the angle). This will happen in Laos and Cambodia too, one day. I personally see this as being very positive, taking out the parasites from the country.

Seriously?

A lot could go wrong, but that seems to be a rhetorical question from you, since you've already been given some very good and serious advice as to why you probably aren't qualified to live here more than 30 days at a time.

"Mooching" work without a work permit is illegal and can get you deported & blacklisted.

Morning all

I'm still a long way off making anything happen so I've still a lot of research to do. Just sharing my thoughts is all...

entrenching myself there and networking more suits my personality and would seem to be a more successful way to approach it for me, I would be 100% committed which would drive me to not fail.

"mooching" possibly the wrong word to use as this suggests I'm sponging off the system or draining resources which is hardly the case, I'd be spending money, paying for accommodation, paying my way. I'd be there to build a new life.

It always amuses me with these forums [I've been on a Cambodian one for years] that as much as you want to "assist" other westerners to relocate and do what you managed to do, if you're totally honest, there's a part of you that doesn't want more of them here, and why would you? That's what you got away from, I completely understand it, the more that relocate eventually the dynamic of the place will change, for better or worse who knows....worse I guess

Anyway, yes, I'm getting good advise which I appreciate, I've been speaking to a Visa agent and it's certainly not an easy place to jump into the way I would prefer.

Sign a lease when I get there and mooch around looking for work opportunity's...what could go wrong?
1f644.svg
-@TerrySE

Hi Terry,

People on the forum really are trying to balance the good with the bad and not just trying to tell you to go away , they have seen first-hand the bad and some are just "telling it like it is" - and not sugar coating it to get your hopes up, if you were an "Expert" in a field VN wanted it would be easy for you.

Be careful of "signing a lease" if you get here on a 30 day e-visa and somehow sign a 6 month/12 month lease and have to move you will forfeit your bond/deposit, unless you put a clause on your lease that gives you an "out" such as having to move because of work, the landlord/lady is highly unlikely to let you walk away without them smiling all the way to the bank.

Which leaves airbnb/hotel/monthly which obviously is at a higher rate but leaves you in position to pack your bags and walk.

"What could go wrong" - signing a lease and losing 2 months rent.

As for giving it all a go - "Fortuna Favet Fortibus"

Sign a lease when I get there and mooch around looking for work opportunity's...what could go wrong?
1f644.svg
-@TerrySE
Hi Terry,

People on the forum really are trying to balance the good with the bad and not just trying to tell you to go away , they have seen first-hand the bad and some are just "telling it like it is" - and not sugar coating it to get your hopes up, if you were an "Expert" in a field VN wanted it would be easy for you.

Be careful of "signing a lease" if you get here on a 30 day e-visa and somehow sign a 6 month/12 month lease and have to move you will forfeit your bond/deposit, unless you put a clause on your lease that gives you an "out" such as having to move because of work, the landlord/lady is highly unlikely to let you walk away without them smiling all the way to the bank.

Which leaves airbnb/hotel/monthly which obviously is at a higher rate but leaves you in position to pack your bags and walk.

"What could go wrong" - "caveat emptor" - signing a lease and losing 2 months rent.

As for giving it all a go - "Fortuna Favet Fortibus"
-@AndyHCMC

Hi Andy

yep I was being light hearted, everything could go wrong for sure

when I posted that I was talking with someone who had pretty much done just what I was talking about doing...further digging though revealed he had left out a few important facts 1f644.svg

entrenching myself there and networking more suits my personality and would seem to be a more successful way to approach it for me, I would be 100% committed which would drive me to not fail.
"mooching" possibly the wrong word to use as this suggests I'm sponging off the system or draining resources which is hardly the case, I'd be spending money, paying for accommodation, paying my way. I'd be there to build a new life.

Vietnam isn't what is used to be in that regard. Tell me, if you were going to Canada or the U.S.A tomorrow, for example, and went there with a 3 months tourist visa. Would you tell the border agent that you'd be there to "build a new life"? That they shouldn't worry as you're bringing money in and it's good for the country? I think the problem is that lots of people still have this mentality where anything is possible in South East Asia and immigration is just a game where you just need to pay a little bit of money. Things are more serious now in here and you need to have a work visa to actually work here, and depending on visa runs to stay permanently is now way more risky than it used to be.

That being said, I don't think you should give up on that dream, just that you should approach Vietnam more like you'd approach most countries in the West, especially immigration-wise.

Vietnam isn't what is used to be in that regard. Tell me, if you were going to Canada or the U.S.A tomorrow, for example, and went there with a 3 months tourist visa. Would you tell the border agent that you'd be there to "build a new life"? That they shouldn't worry as you're bringing money in and it's good for the country? I think the problem is that lots of people still have this mentality where anything is possible in South East Asia and immigration is just a game where you just need to pay a little bit of money. Things are more serious now in here and you need to have a work visa to actually work here, and depending on visa runs to stay permanently is now way more risky than it used to be.

That being said, I don't think you should give up on that dream, just that you should approach Vietnam more like you'd approach most countries in the West, especially immigration-wise.
-@WillyBaldy

Morning

yes you're 100% correct, I actually thought about it recently in reverse and know how difficult it is for anyone to lob over to Australia for instance.

more research to do on my part for sure