overstay fee

Last activity 03 July 2023 by Nz0

Nz0

according to documents found
overstay fine depend about the numbers of days :
vietnam-visa.com/overstaying-vietnam-visa/

wrote:

Overstaying for less than 16 days:
   VND VND 500,000 – VND 2,000,000 (~US $22 – US $88)
Overstaying for 16 days – less than 30 days:
   VND 3,000,000 – VND 5,000,000 (~ US $133 – US $221)
Overstaying for 30 days – less than 60 days:
   VND 5,000,000 – VND 10,000,000 (~ US $221 – US $441)
Overstaying for 60 days – less than 90 days:
   VND 10,000,000 – VND 15,000,000 (~ US $441 – US $661)
Overstaying for at least 90 days:
   VND 15,000,000 – VND 20,000,000 (~ US $661 – US $885)

But how the calculation is done is unclear.
for example, if you exceed 20 days, how much will you pay?
  3 to 5 millions ???  unsure.png
or
  60 to 100 millions ???  yikes.png

it seems obvious for people having common sens.
But Vietnam can be so much surprising in many ways.  big_smile.png

SteinNebraska

Well, 20 is between 16 and 30 so it would be between 3,000,000 and 5,000,000

Olivia-expat

paid 3,000,000 fine yesterday for around 25-26 days overstay

Nz0
SteinNebraska wrote:

Your answer is useless but thanks for the try.

Olivia-expat wrote:

Thank you Olivia-expat for confirming that the price to pay is not multiplied by the number of days.

SimCityAT
Nz0 wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:

Not sure what's confusing it clearly says on the website the amount.

Nz0

The amounts are not clear.

Even if you pretend to be a genius who understand everything, I'm sure you was unable to guess the exact amount of 3M for 25-26 days overstay.
And in some other countries, it is common to pay day-to-day.
This is why it is necessary to know how in Vietnam late penalties are calculated.

Nz0

Olivia-expat's experience is interesting because it seems that overstaying 16 or 29 days has same effect on the amount to be paid

Guest2023
Olivia-expat wrote:

Did they give you a receipt/paperwork for the fine.

Olivia-expat
Nz0 wrote:

Olivia-expat's experience is interesting because it seems that overstaying 16 or 29 days has same effect on the amount to be paid

My visa was extended by one month. That was 1.2 million in addition to the fine.

Don't know if a pro-rata rate applies for overstay fines at airport  unsure.png may b someone can confirm.

OceanBeach92107
Nz0 wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:

Says the author of an absurdity.

Julien

Nz0, you've been posting twice unpleasant posts in the same thread ... you should avoid that kind of behavior or you'll quickly get moderated  whistle.gif

Fred
Nz0 wrote:

The amounts are not clear.

Easy one - Assume the worst from the table you posted, and get either no shocks or a nice surprise.
Of course the best advice is to remain legal, but that's another story for another time.

AndyHCMC

@Nz0 table gives a range of fine at discretion of official 20 days (16-30 days)
so like @Olivia-expat said 3mill it could have been up to 5mill.

(multiplied by days is the worst interpretation of the table)
Could you point out where the table states it is per/day?

I think you will find out that members have given you a correct answer, the fine is at the discretion of the official who can impose 3-5mill for 20 days oversay as stated in the tabe.

Yes it is that simple.

Andy Expat.com
Team

AndyHCMC

Could you point out where the table states that it is Not per/day?
Vietnam Visa Overstay Fines
This section will let you know in details “How much do you have to pay if you overstay your visa in Vietnam?“.

In Vietnam, the fine for overstaying a visa is charged by days of overstaying. It is clearly provided for in Article 8 of the Circular No. 144/2021/NĐ-CP as follows:

Overstaying for less than 16 days: VND VND 500,000 – VND 2,000,000 (~US $22 – US $88)
Overstaying for 16 days – less than 30 days: VND 3,000,000 – VND 5,000,000 (~ US $133 – US $221)
Overstaying for 30 days – less than 60 days: VND 5,000,000 – VND 10,000,000 (~ US $221 – US $441)
Overstaying for 60 days – less than 90 days: VND 10,000,000 – VND 15,000,000 (~ US $441 – US $661)
Overstaying for at least 90 days: VND 15,000,000 – VND 20,000,000 (~ US $661 – US $885)
Foreigners who do not comply with competent agencies’ decisions on forcing them to exit Vietnam and continue to reside in Vietnam: VND 30,000,000 – VND 40,000,000 (~ US $1,320 – US $1,760).

It CLEARLY says in the table "Overstaying for 16 days – less than 30 days: VND 3,000,000 – VND 5,000,000 (~ US $133 – US $221)" 
Plus you have a live example of 25-26 days of 3mill from a member so there is no ambiguity that it could be per/day.

The question has been answered - read the table see how many days overstay, look at the fine range expect anything within it depending on the circumstance and official.

Correct it's not interesting to add things that are not in the table and insulting members and creating an argument.

Julien stated the obvious - you asked a question then insulted the people who gave you the correct answer which was common sense as you mention yourself the rest is just argumentitive and off topic.

Cheryl

Hello everyone,

Please note that some posts have been removed from this thread.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team

Olivia-expat

@Andybris2020: Just to be clear, I didn't deal with an immigration officer - at least not directly anyway! Take your point about fine being based on circumstances though.

When extending visa I asked agent and he said fine would be 3 million. Only then I handed over passport to him. Did go to another agent before visiting him, she was a bit vague. So, visit a couple or more agents and pick one (rather than relying on pot luck).

If foreigner is at airport and officer is asking for a fine over and above what is on that circular then we could show them the circular and also ask for a receipt.

OceanBeach92107
Olivia-expat wrote:

If foreigner is at airport and officer is asking for a fine over and above what is on that circular then we could show them the circular and also ask for a receipt.

A foreigner could try that, but they would need to keep in mind that that's not an official document.

The link posted by the OP and the text copied from that web page is from a commercial website for a Visa agency, not an official government portal.

I'm not saying that the information is incorrect.

But I would look for an official source to show to an official of the government.

thecyclist

It is intentionally kept vague. ***

Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : Unnecessary
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
wilks2021

In 2019 I overstayed 3 months and went directly to immigration. They charged me 4 million. There is a form online directly from immigration stating the max fee was 4 million for 3 months. But it is so hard to find under all of the fake.gov site. I would not go to any money sucking corrupt agent, just to immigration pay the fee directly and pay the exit fee, which is 25 if I remember right.

Nz0

The official are corrupt also,
you are lucky if never heard about "money for Càphê"

wilks2021 wrote:

I overstayed 3 months and went directly to immigration. They charged me 4 million.

Its completely out of the table...(maybe coz in 2019)

But i have to admit, recently for my overstay, the payment matched the table.

MNMs4260

@Nz0 Hello,

Wanted to share my recent experience as of June 28th, 2023.

Due to a mistake, I was not able to use my 30 days visa, and the Immigration office advised me to overstay or make a visa run (yes). I couldn't do the visa run so I ended up overstaying.

I overstayed 9 days and paid 1250 VND. Strangely, an other lady overstayed 2 days and paid the same fee. CASH only.

I came super early at the airport in case the paperwork took time, but you can't do anything unless it's WITHIN 3 hours before your flight (when the check-in opens basically).

Hope it helps!

oasisbarhatien

1250VND really?? Somehow I doubt that figure is accurate , even though you have posted exactly the same on TripAdvisor !!

Aidan in HCMC

@oasisbarhatien

Seems to be a standard charge for short(ish) overstays.

"One day over-stay penalty was 1,250,000 VND. Because his new eVisa stated his "Entry Point" as Ha Tien (Kampot, Cambodia border crossing), he opted to fly to Phnom Penh, at a cost of 5,850,000 VND." (link)

Also, see this post, further up the thread.

MNMs4260

@oasisbarhatien I realised I forgot the k !!!! >< my bad!

I can't edit it anymore but it's 1250 k (1250,000) VND

Aidan in HCMC
1250VND really?? Somehow I doubt that figure is accurate , even though you have posted exactly the same on TripAdvisor !!
-@oasisbarhatien

LOL! Good catch smile.png

Nz0

Either way, you can pay the overstay fee and be blacklisted...

They will not tell you if you gonna be blacklisted or not ! 1f611.svg

You will know next time, when you ask for new visa... 2639.svg

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles