Ukraine conflict

I am writing from Odesa Ukraine, yes i am still here, and so are a few other friends. At 5 am Kiev time Russia decided to invade Ukraine, with the threat that if any country interferes, they will be annihilated, which i guess means he will nuke them. For over a month know he has moved nukes onto Crimea, and built up he army to invade Ukraine. Although he may have some points of issue, Russia is the only country to have invaded its own people. I see there are already many losses on both sides, what a huge loss, no many what there country.
Russia again is sending in there youngest and least experienced, well that's the norm for them.
We have had a few crews missiles probably from ships, hit the local area but so far, only beaches and military bases. I am disappointed too that Belarus has declared war on Ukraine as well, I thought they where friends, but i guess when a bully says stand with me , you comply and do what they ask.
There are no flights, no trains , no buses. And under marshal law you may get stuck in very bad traffic, if your lucky to have a car. I do hope and pray that this will blow over, and we can all enjoy, this beautiful, and free country once again.

Thanks Martin for your testimony in this very difficult moment.

All my prayers are for you and the country, stay safe.

Please keep us posted

Julien

Keep safe Martin, scary times indeed!!

Take care, Martin.

Glad to know you are all OK.

Martin,
Do you think Odessa will put up a fierce resistance?  When a city quickly surrenders, it actually saves civilians from destruction.

As far as I can tell, all train tickets are already booked out of Kyiv in the next few days, but I don't have a car.
If I am lucky to come across a ticket to Odessa, is it worth coming?  I assume Kyiv would put up a fight, but I don't know if Odessa would be any better.  Thank you

Yes good luck Martin, BeHealthy and anyone else still in Ukraine.

We have two 4 year olds and even though I thought 3 weeks ago there was only a small chance of this invasion we got them out. Mind you, with Putin's latest comments about any other country meddling leading to "to consequences that you have never encountered in your history” (just after he was talking about nukes) doesn't make me think London is completely safe.

We're still paying rent in Kyiv and also bought another (totally unrennovated) apartment. We also bought a new car that is sitting in the basement of the block we currently rent which is now a bomb shelter according to my Viber group for the residents.

I hope that Ukraine surrenders asap. It sounds wrong but it can't "win" against a superpower and the longer it puts up resistance the more people will die on both sides.

What are people's best guesses of what happens next? How long for example will it be before our Ukranian mother-in-law will be able to go back? Will the country be split? Which part would Kyiv be in? Will British passport holders be banned or need strict visas? Will the two sides some at least some kind of sense and stop fighting or will there be resistance (i.e. bombs going off etc) for years to come?

Hi there

as it stands yes there will be a big fight in Odessa , but frankly better to get to Europe by train if you can.
Its quiet here at the moment, but we have had a lot of flying bombs pass over head. They have been hitting any military place they can.

stay safe

martin

Hi there

I would guess that if under Russia, we would find it so hard to be here or enter here as it would be Russian, and Putin really dislikes British , so it may be a loss, or when it settles down try and sell it.
Because if under RUSSIA sanctions would hit us as well.
Its a bloody mess and i Hope Putin gets assassinated.

good luke and stay safe were ever you are

martin

Someone would like to know what's happening in Zaporijia .. Do you know?

Catalunya66 wrote:

Someone would like to know what's happening in Zaporijia .. Do you know?

https://www.theweek.in/news/world/2022/ … ports.html

Hi All,

Good luck to all.  My Odessa trip didn't pan out.  I saw one seat on a train from Kyiv to Odesa tonight.  I paused to think for a few minutes and someone else took it!
I'm getting out of Kyiv tonight first to a neighboring countryside town.  Russia would put Kyiv under siege if it puts up resistance.  Since it's the nation's capital, I assume it will.

BeHealthyNPositive wrote:

Hi All,

Good luck to all.  My Odessa trip didn't pan out.  I saw one seat on a train from Kyiv to Odesa tonight.  I paused to think for a few minutes and someone else took it!
I'm getting out of Kyiv tonight first to a neighboring countryside town.  Russia would put Kyiv under siege if it puts up resistance.  Since it's the nation's capital, I assume it will.

Watching the news now, they are moving closer with an aim to take the capital.

https://news.sky.com/story/russia-invad … v-12541713

Stay safe

SimCityAT... Thank you..

Hi Michael,

I have been to Russia many times.  For those who like to challenge their governments, the old Ukraine as we knew it is definitely better than Russia.  However, for those who just want to live their lives and raise their family, I don't think it's all that different.  After all, Moscow has a HUGE ex-pat population.

If you are not working anymore, or you work remotely and receive your income from outside of Ukraine/ Russia, your USD/Euro/British pounds probably will go longer.  The sanctions will hit the Ukrainian/ Russian economy hard.

If you draw your income locally here in Ukraine, yes, the future of Ukraine is grim, unfortunately.   

I don't think Russia wants to manage Ukraine underneath it directly.  Ukraine is not a gold mine.  When they are done installing their puppet government, they will leave it alone on domestic issues, except for things like the language law, which is Ukrainian nationalistic.  Foreign policy certainly would have to follow Moscow's will.

Well made it to Lviv, but stuck here now as ways to get to the polish border are virtually non existant.  It's pretty quiet here at the moment doubtful that will last though. Trying to find alternative transport to the border, if not I guess I'm staying.  Everyone stay safe

Hi to all the expats living in Ukraine.

I used to be an expat, lived in Kharkiv and Krivoy Rog.

I'm trying to get my in-laws out of the country. They live in Krivoy Rog.

I'm in Sweden with their only daughter and 2 grandchildren...

Just trying my luck, maybe someone knows someone who has the capacity to drive them to the border.

In exchange, I can offer free accommodation for one year in Sweden (only pay bills) as I own 3 properties here in the middle of Sweden.

Take care!

arosen wrote:

Hi to all the expats living in Ukraine.

I used to be an expat, lived in Kharkiv and Krivoy Rog.

I'm trying to get my in-laws out of the country. They live in Krivoy Rog.

I'm in Sweden with their only daughter and 2 grandchildren...

Just trying my luck, maybe someone knows someone who has the capacity to drive them to the border.

In exchange, I can offer free accommodation for one year in Sweden (only pay bills) as I own 3 properties here in the middle of Sweden.

Take care!

Best wishes in your attempt to help your wife's family. There are different areas, bridges and roads being damaged at this time; no certainty that road chosen will be still accessible.
You can monitor some current events on liveuamap site.

Thanks, Apple Hope!

If you know someone from Ukraine, please pass it on the Note‼ ️
If any of you or your friends, friends or family flees to Poland before the war, we can help you in the following ways:
If you are on the UA🇺🇦-PL🇵🇱 border and need transport deep into Poland contact directly with
Michal Wojciechowski +48698995124
We will transport you safely by buses.
If you are already in Poland (Warsaw and its vicinity) and need accommodation, please contact Katarzyna Izydorczyk directly, tel. +48 665 505 005
If you need a translator, I will be happy to help, I speak Russian, English and Polish Remi Kuliberda +44 7896107293
Obviously, the help is free, as part of neighborly solidarity.
Dear Neighbors, you will never go alone‼ ️

Uwaga‼️ PODAJ DALEJ 📌
Jeśli ktoś z Was lub Waszych znajomych,przyjaciół czy rodziny ucieka przed wojną do polski,możemy pomoc Wam w następujący sposób:
Jeśli jesteś na granicy UA🇺🇦-PL🇵🇱 i potrzebujesz transportu w głąb Polski
kontaktujcie się bezpośrednio z
Michał Wojciechowski +48698995124
przetransportujemy Was bezpiecznie busami.
Jeśli jesteś już w 🇵🇱 Polsce (Warszawa i okolice) i potrzebujesz noclegu lub innej pomocy proszę o kontakt bezpośrednio z Katarzyna Izydorczyk tel. +48665 505 005
Jeśli potrzebujesz tłumacza chętnie pomogę,mówię po rosyjsku,angielsku i polsku Remi Kuliberda +44 7896107293
Pomoc jest oczywiście bezpłatna,w ramach sąsiedzkiej solidarności.
Drodzy Sąsiedzi🇺🇦,nigdy nie będziecie szli sami‼️

Хай живе Вільна Україна🇺🇦🇪🇺
увагу‼️
Якщо хтось із вас чи ваших друзів, друзів чи родичів втікає до Польщі перед війною, ми можемо допомогти вам у такий спосіб:
Якщо ви перебуваєте на кордоні ОАЕ-PL, вам потрібен транспорт до Польщі
зв'язатися безпосередньо з
Міхал Войцеховський +48 698 995 124
ми безпечно доставимо вас автобусом.
Якщо ви вже перебуваєте в Польщі (Варшава та її околиці) і вам потрібно залишитися на ніч, будь ласка, зв'яжіться безпосередньо з Катажиною Ізидорчик, тел. +48 665 505 005
Якщо вам потрібен перекладач, я з радістю допоможу, володію російською, англійською та польською мовами Ремі Куліберда +44 7896107293
Допомога безкоштовна, як частина добросусідської солідарності.
Шановні сусіди, ви ніколи не підете самі‼️
Хай живе вільна Україна🇺🇦🇪🇺

martinodessa wrote:

For over a month know he has moved nukes onto Crimea

Would you be kind enough to link to a reliable source for Russia having nukes in Crimea, please?
I can't find a thing about it.

Hello, we are a french-ukrainian couple living in bila tserkva (south from Kiev) and looking for a way to go to poland asap or any other european border.
We dont have a car, we will be very gratefull for any help
Thank you very much if you know someone who can help

Julien Noulette wrote:

Hello, we are a french-ukrainian couple living in bila tserkva (south from Kiev) and looking for a way to go to poland asap or any other european border.
We dont have a car, we will be very gratefull for any help
Thank you very much if you know someone who can help

The greater the distance, the greater your chances of running into trouble. Your nearest border is Moldova but that puts you close to Odessa. More northerly crossing points into Moldova or Romania are less likely to see you run into Russians, but you need as much information as you can find on where Russian forces are. You also need to try to get as much information as possible as to what borders are open, and who can cross.
As for the car, weather permitting (no snow), I'd try to find a scooter. They get past traffic jams a lot easier. Possessions don't fit on them, but possessions slow you down, and you need quick and versatile.

This map are prone to error because war maps are always out of date before they hit a newspaper, and we have no idea what is true and what is propaganda.
However, it shows the areas you should avoid. Add reports of fighting and you should get a better idea of places not to go anywhere near

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/1C74/production/_123448270_ukraine_russian_control_areas_map_02_27_2100_2x640-nc.png

Hello can anyone suggest me how to reach Ukraine because there is no flights of Ukraine... My friend is citizen of Pakistan  stuck in Pakistan he is a permanent resident of Ukraine his wife is Ukrainian & a 8 years daughter stuck in Ukraine in Kyiv oblast 80km from the center... Both wife & daughter alone & they are scared how to reach border her husband stuck in Pakistan he is confused how to reach Ukraine because  flights & airports closed...he contact embassy of paland in Pakistan but no response from embassy even no reply Give some advice thank you.

Fly to Poland/Slovakia/Hungary/Romania/Moldova and continue by land.

Hello everyone,

Please note that some posts have been removed from this thread.

Cheryl
Expat.com team