Menu
Expat.com

Tourist visa extensions beyond 30 days.

Last activity 18 March 2022 by Daytripper

scott1953

Has any expat experienced  trying to extend beyond the current 30 day tourist visa upon returning to the Phil? It's my understanding BI will only allow a 30 day stay based on what i read on there web site.  I  asked a BI officer when i received my exit documents, she said yes they will do an extension and that a memo is in the works. Don't know what to believe.

dawgyellowlab

I do not know if I would take the word from a BI employee. Things seems to change here daily and one never knows what to believe or how to plan. Myself I have got screwed three time with bad information and the airlines not assuming any responsibility for knowing anything but will book you a ticket and then charge you again and again when you find out the dates are not good to stay past the 30 day period. This is a scam job BIG TIME. I will wait to see if anything does change for the better. Good luck to you and CYS!

scott1953
dawgyellowlab wrote:

I do not know if I would take the word from a BI employee. Things seems to change here daily and one never knows what to believe or how to plan. Myself I have got screwed three time with bad information and the airlines not assuming any responsibility for knowing anything but will book you a ticket and then charge you again and again when you find out the dates are not good to stay past the 30 day period. This is a scam job BIG TIME. I will wait to see if anything does change for the better. Good luck to you and CYS!

Hello Daug, Hello Dawg, Thank you for your reply. I agree, i have asked multiple sources and get multiple answers. It is not easy flying anywhere these days with so much confusion.

johncroy

I was able to extend my visa two months while waiting for my 13a visa approval.  Initial 9a visa was for 59 days.  There’s a section in the main immigration office just for visa extensions.  The Philippines is open for tourism now but there’s no guarantee it will stay open after the elections in May.

scott1953
johncroy wrote:

I was able to extend my visa two months while waiting for my 13a visa approval.  Initial 9a visa was for 59 days.  There’s a section in the main immigration office just for visa extensions.  The Philippines is open for tourism now but there’s no guarantee it will stay open after the elections in May.

Hello John, I appreciate your helpful information. I was use to staying for 36 months but that all has changed for now and dont know if it will go back to normal soon. I will try for the 59 day extension on my return trip from Guam.

johncroy

If you are traveling to the Philippines on the visa free program you will need to present airline travel leaving the Philippines no more than 30 days from arrival.

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/c … ingintheph

WyotoPI

Uhm 30 days has always been the limit on visa on arrival then you extend.

Will people stop over thinking!?  Nothing has changed y’all are wild.

OF COURSE you can extend my god

omarwebber111

Okay , so best bet is to do what we just did! To get out of this conundrum (having to extend and pay pay pay) is to travel overseas with your Filipina spouse , then fly back in on the since reinstated BALIK BAYAN 1 year visa. This will in turn pave the way to your Permanent Residency 5 year auto renewable visa.
I'm facing a similar issue with my 5 children , all of whom have backdated visa extensions going on 16 months! If we were to travel on their American passports , we'd have to pay a nightmarish 6 figure amount (peso).
In order to resolve this , I've applied for all of my kids to have both a Philippine Passport and an American one.
Hopefully their aquired Filipino citizenship will expunge all their previous back-pay in visa fees.

Good Luck

O

omarwebber111

So , they'd exit the Philippines on their Filipino passports and arrive at their port-of-entry on their American.

If Immigration make an issue , I'm gonna probably have to get a Court Order granting them their constitutionally given right to use their Filipino passports as any Filipino would,  for travel or otherwise!

The law in the US states that even though you're allowed to have dual-citizenship , you have to Enter the US on your American passport 🛂. That's the law!

johncroy

If you have a Filipino spouse then apply for 13a visa.  No need to leave the Philippines.

Daytripper

Purchase a one-way ticket (throw away) to Singapore before you arrive in the Philippines. Go to the Department of Immigration in any major city, and extend your visa.prior to your 30 day tourist visa expiring.  Most Immigration offices are located in the malls, with a passport photo/copy place close by. The staff at Immigration are very friendly and accommodating. I wear long pants and a collared shirt, and am respectful.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles