Menu
Expat.com

Is the Ukraine war is affecting Bulgaria in any way?

Last activity 21 March 2022 by janemulberry

KASANNSHARP

A member of my family is thinking of moving to Bulgaria.....can anyone tell me if the Ukraine war is affecting Bulgaria in any way?

Johnavann

From my limited view in St Vlas-Sunny Beach I see a influx of Ukrainian License plates and my 110 room hotel is full in the off season. I have provided a generous discount.   Restaurants have more people in them than usual however i see no adverse items.  I see a few men however it is mostly young families whose husband stayed behind to fight.

ScarlettR

I have been here for the last ten days, starting in Sofia, travelling to Vratza and then Plovdiv and finally to Borovets.
A friend in Vratza advised they were expecting some refugees to arrive and it seemed a little unclear where they would be accommodated. Here in Borovets as the ski season ends, I have heard some of the hotels will be used to house refugees.
This may be rather hard on the families, as the nearest town of Samakov is a distance away and the resort pretty much closes for the summer, although I guess that may change if people are about.
I can't say I have seen or met anyone from Ukraine as yet or noticed any difference but I imagine that may change as more seek shelter here.
I attempted to offer out my own ski flat for the summer, but nobody seems sure of the process or who to approach , and as I fly home tomorrow I doubt I will be able to pursue this.

janemulberry

Scarlett, I saw that Bulgarian Properties (the estate agents) are handling rentals for Ukrainian refugees and are waiving their fees for both owner and tenant.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

• Giving Birth In Bulgaria
    Giving Birth In Bulgaria

If you find yourself pregnant in Bulgaria, you may be wondering if you will have to head home to have your baby. ...

• Education in Bulgaria
    Education in Bulgaria

Educational Structures and Background:

• Leisure in Bulgaria
    Leisure in Bulgaria

Wondering how to keep yourself busy after work and during week-ends? Here is an overview of leisure activities ...

• Opening a bank account in Bulgaria
    Opening a bank account in Bulgaria

Do you wish to open a bank account in Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet
    Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet

Would you like your pet to accompany you during your trip to Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Accommodation in Plovdiv
    Accommodation in Plovdiv

Plovdiv is a very popular city with expatriates, more particularly with students. Find out how to find ...

• Living in Bulgaria
    Living in Bulgaria

After living in Bulgaria for several years, I look back on the decision to move abroad. At first there was a ...

• Moving to Bulgaria
    Moving to Bulgaria

With rising costs of living, falling house prices, lack of mortgage lending and increasing social and economic ...

All of Bulgaria's guide articles