Off Topic Posts - Whats on your mind?

What not to do in Vietnam: When crossing a road heavy with traffic, dont stop or hesitate, keep moving, the traffic (mostly bikes) will flow around you.

-@mikeymac

...and raise your hand, periscope style, waving it at a height above the helmets of oncoming bikes. This way bikes behind them will see that you are there.

I'm glad you brought this matter up, mikeymac. It really is a matter of utmost importance/safety.

It's a perfect Zen experience.

Agreed Aidan, I certainly wouldnt do it for heavier traffic with trucks and busses though, just for crossing thru a never ending flow of bikes.

It's a perfect Zen experience.

-@jimmythepipe24

LOL! One way or the other...

Flow with the ebb and tide of the bikes,

or,

become one with the road :)

If you think you might enjoy sci-fi, mixed with sardonic wit and a dash of salty language, then this YouTube channel is definitely for you.

"A Heretic's View: Blaming Food for Obesity Is Like Blaming Water for Drowning"

A very nice read on the importance of maintaining at least some physical activity.

snippet

"By the 19th century, the Irish consumed ~4-5 lbs. of potatoes per person per day, with men consuming ~8-12 lbs./day. This is the equivalent of ~40 supersized servings of ‘french-fries' every day for a lifetime. Yet despite consuming massive amounts of ‘carbs', saturated fats, and salt, the Irish had little obesity or cardiometabolic diseases."

Hi. I'm a footballer moving to Vietnam in a month's time, and I need a football team to join as soon as I get there, can you help me out anyway?

Hi. I'm a footballer moving to Vietnam in a month's time, and I need a football team to join as soon as I get there, can you help me out anyway?
        -@oluwatimileyinemmanuelf

Hello oluwatimileyinemmanuelf. Welcome to the expat.com Vietnam forum, and congratulations on your upcoming move here.

I'm sorry I can't give you any advise regarding football (soccer). You didn't mention where in VN you'll be residing, but I can't imagine you'd have any difficulty finding locals and/or expats who share your sport interest.

Once again, welcome to the forum. Feel free to jump in to any of our ongoing threads, or open a new topic of your own for discussion on the forum's homepage, here.

@Aidan in HCMC Hi viz vest for tourists !!!

What not to do in Vietnam: When crossing a road heavy with traffic, dont stop or hesitate, keep moving, the traffic (mostly bikes) will flow around you.         -@mikeymac
...and raise your hand, periscope style, waving it at a height above the helmets of oncoming bikes. This way bikes behind them will see that you are there. I'm glad you brought this matter up, mikeymac. It really is a matter of utmost importance/safety.        -@Aidan in HCMC
@Aidan in HCMC Hi viz vest for tourists !!!        -@MarkinNam

And maybe a high visibility glove too. :D

@Guest2023 The only logical answer would be that women tend to be less productive.

I think this is certainly true in some fields but the opposite would be true in other fields.

@Guest2023 The only logical answer would be that women tend to be less productive.
I think this is certainly true in some fields but the opposite would be true in other fields.

-@Dannyroc3

If ever there were a reply that cried out for the use of the quote function, this would be it, especially since the date of the post to which you are replying is back in 2023... 😉

CGI generated comparison of different hypersonic, nuclear capable missiles. Includes countries in possession and cost.

Video here.

The people who would even consider using these must be 'effing bat guano crazy!

(watch in full screen mode, as some details not visible in default view)

CGI generated comparison of different hypersonic, nuclear capable missiles. Includes countries in possession and cost.Video here. The people who would even consider using these must be 'effing bat guano crazy!(watch in full screen mode, as some details not visible in default view)        -@Aidan in HCMC

One thing we can absolutely guarantee is human stupidy.

We still have a 'caveman hit people on the head' mentality, but we can do it with nuclear tipped hypersonic missiles.

My understanding is that these things were developed as carrier killers. If so, no warhead would be required as a direct hit would smash the largest of ships into scrap iron with kinetic energy alone.

If a nuclear tip was used, that's the end of a carrier task force for less than the cost of an F35.

Now you have to examine the threats posed to any given country from 'enemy' carrier groups. That's why hypersonic missiles are the new dynamite.

It hardly matters if you have the most powerful navy in the world with (think of a number) 11 large carriers, the things are useless against a country with 20 hypersonic missiles.

Daft as this might appear, hypersonic weapons might actually prevent a war.

Carrier battle groups are all power projection and threatening other countries.

Take that ability away and you change the way geopolitics world.

Off Topic thought:

I'd really hate to see this thread become political...

Just factual.

As long as we avoid blame - No worries.

Many countries are developing that tech, and every one blames the other for needing it.

I find weapons fascinating.

@OceanBeach92107

The post should be viewed as being totally apolitical.

It was meant only to highlight the terrifying technical advancements in modern warfare.

@Fred

At this point in time, only Russia and China have tested, operational HGVs (hypersonic glide vehicles), which are manoeuvrable and allegedly cannot be intercepted. Those are the "carrier killers".

"U.S. is “at least several years behind” China in hypersonic technology despite significant investment"

@Fred
At this point in time, only Russia and China have tested, operational HGVs (hypersonic glide vehicles), which are manoeuvrable and allegedly cannot be intercepted. Those are the "carrier killers".
"U.S. is “at least several years behind” China in hypersonic technology despite significant investment"

-@Aidan in HCMC

I would assume that's because both are way behind in carrier tech and, in the opinion of some, feel threatened by countries that are more advanced.

@Fred

I think it's just because they took the initiative earlier. Why? I dunno.

It certainly gives them engineering bragging rights.

@Fred
It certainly gives them engineering bragging rights.

-@Aidan in HCMC

Some countries have an innovation culture.

My love of imagination and creativity leads me to admire rapid technological advancement.

As for military tech, that commonly leads to very handy civilian uses.

I have absolutely no objection to defensive armaments, but dislike offensive equipment.

I suppose the distinction is a matter of range.

@Fred

-@Aidan in HCMC

I do, but that takes us into politics- I'm avoiding that.

On a brighter note, imagine civilian passenger aircraft of the future.

The heat resistant tech required for these things could cut journey times by a shocking amount.

That same tech opens the possibility of easy access to space. Imagine orbital cities, or even the first moonbase, all made possible because of the work on these missiles.

Just factual.
As long as we avoid blame - No worries.

-@Fred

I guess.

It's just that your choice of words ("geopolitics") may inspire some to chime in with their geopolitical views.

@FredI think it's just because they took the initiative earlier. Why? I dunno.     -@Aidan in HCMC
I do, but that takes us into politics- I'm avoiding that.

On a brighter note, imagine civilian passenger aircraft of the future.
The heat resistant tech required for these things could cut journey times by a shocking amount.
That same tech opens the possibility of easy access to space. Imagine orbital cities, or even the first moonbase, all made possible because of the work on these missiles.
        -@Fred

I don't know about passenger aircraft. I doubt there'd be much time for correction/recovery in the event something went wrong.

Me? I'd prefer to float along in the relative safety of dirigibles. They could be built to resemble cruise ships in the sky.

I don't know about passenger aircraft. I doubt there'd be much time for correction/recovery in the event something went wrong.
Me? I'd prefer to float along in the relative safety of dirigibles. They could be built to resemble cruise ships in the sky.

-@Aidan in HCMC

China is trying to sneak into tthat market whilst Boeing are doing their best to ruin their own reputation and Airbus is trying to exploit Boeing doing their best to ruin their own reputation - Strangly unsuccessfully.

The Canadians are trying with smaller aircraft, and Russia is a joke.

It will be interesting to see how China does - I suspect they'll push sales in the middle east and other BRICS/BRICS friendly/BRICS curious countries.

The US will find a reason to ban them, and the UK will wimp out with some sort of pie in the sky promise about regeneration British aviation, then buy American.

Blow up aircraft are a serious option for tourism, but I don't see them doing much else.

People are used to fast and cheap - Luxury is a very poor second.

Thailand tried a military version some while ago - That was a massive flop with no little blue pill to get it back up.

I hope you can open this link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/22/us/c … =url-share

Kitties are travelers! 1280 km at least! And only two years old!

Went for a nice hour-long ride around Duong Dong with my GF this morning.

Got a rear tire flat. Pulled up to the nearest repair shop, sat and we each had ice coffees, and flat patched.

Cost for 2 coffee and patch? 50K VND (~$2 US).

Then went to get the bike washed. Cost? 30K VND (~$1.20 US).

I hope you can open this link:https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/22/us/c … =url-shareKitties are travelers! 1280 km at least! And only two years old!        -@Lennerd

I had a dog like that way back when I lived in Nova Scotia. He was like that, but in reverse.

I'd gotten calls from as far away as 70 miles to come and bail him out of dog-jail. Bloody expensive at ~$150 a pop.

Hilarious AI generated lyrics/vocals with in-house produced music by a guy going by the handle

That's What I Call Brainrot!

"My Lady's Parrot is a Racist"

Lyrics are not for the easily offended, though certainly nothing lewd. F-bombs etc.

His YouTube channel is here.

I also liked "Barb, I won't pay Alimony" and "Trippin' Fat Kids at the YMCA".

Actually, all the songs are pretty darn catchy, everything from 1950s to head-banging 80s style.

The irreverence is quite refreshing, I find.

Hilarious
That's What I Call Brainrot!
"My Lady's Parrot is a Racist"

-@Aidan in HCMC

Ner, it was utter crap.

My brain left me for a man who won't click on rubbish.