Menu
Expat.com

Hospital Costs

Last activity 20 May 2022 by coach53

michaelwackers50
A recent non-surgical (pneumonia) stay of eight-days in a local hospital (Muntinlupa 'Westlake') put me back 200,000 Pesos for accomodation, doctors' fees, examinations & scans plus intravenous
infusions.
Michaelm54

The average insured overnight hospital stay in the US costs about $11,700. So 8 days would be about $93,600. If you are covered by Medicare your standard %20 copay would be $18,720. Medical costs are broken beyond repair in the US.

Jonassantiago
A recent non-surgical (pneumonia) stay of eight-days in a local hospital (Muntinlupa 'Westlake') put me back 200,000 Pesos for accomodation, doctors' fees, examinations & scans plus intravenous
infusions.
- @michaelwackers50

if you itemize your bill i might be able to tell you what was too much and what was just right
Enzyte Bob
infusions.
- @michaelwackers50
Cost depend on the hospital and the cost of your room. As pointed out by FilAmericanMom sometime in the past, billing for hospital services are according to the cost of your hospital room. More expensive the room the higher cost for services.

My wife had three hospitalizations at St. Lukes, affiliated with the Mayo Clinic. It's hard to shop for a hospital quality and costs. I would suspect your local hospital would be cheaper than in a big metro hospital.

Enzyte Bob

The average insured overnight hospital stay in the US costs about $11,700. So 8 days would be about $93,600. If you are covered by Medicare your standard %20 copay would be $18,720. Medical costs are broken beyond repair in the US.

- @Michaelm54
This is why some many opt out of Medicare and choose a Medicare Advantage or HMO. Many times with no copay and better coverage even with prescription drugs.

My personal experience, I had heart stents and never received a hospital bill.

Harbred6051
Suffice to say, as an expat in PH, having $$$$ (or not) will determine whether one lives or dies, as there  is no financial safety net in PH, unlike in the US, one can get taken care of now, & pay later (or, much later, or, ...never).
tpiro

@Michaelm54 .... Amen to that brother... outrageous US healthcare cost.. my brother just went a few nights stay, tests etc., for TIA and it cost $325k plus.

tpiro

@Enzyte Bob Hey Spence.. yes sir.. that is why i went with BC/BS advantage.. however there is a two headed dragon in this mess..  called $$1 and $$2...give me the money!!!-  now that I'm in the Philippines Cebu- I opted out to save $2,041.20 per year doing away with my Medicare Part B.. and kept Part A (which is no cost for hospital stay stuff) except deductibles.  Add that a few years and you've saved almost $10k.  Hence, your "safety net".  Now, put that Peso away for your PH hospital stays, emergencies, drugs, etc.  Just stay healthy with no accidents (lol) for a short period during your savings.  Looking at michaelwackers50  case,  he got away cheap I would think.

Wellsfry
So I am curious... Is there a Philippine health care plan available to foreigners... if so, what us the cost, and benefit?
Enzyte Bob

@Enzyte Bob Hey Spence.. yes sir.. that is why i went with BC/BS advantage.. however there is a two headed dragon in this mess..  called $$1 and $$2...give me the money!!!-  now that I'm in the Philippines Cebu-

@tpiro: . . .I opted out to save $2,041.20 per year doing away with my Medicare Part B.. and kept Part A (which is no cost for hospital stay stuff) except deductibles. 

Hi Tony,

Some time ago I checked out Medicare in Guam. I found two hospitals that accept part A and B. . . .Guam Regional Medical City and Guam Memorial Hospital Authority. Also I found round trip on PAL (four hours) for $627 USD.

tpiro

@Enzyte Bob That is sweet deal for guam.. if need needed....U.S. territories include: Puerto Rico.
    The U.S. Virgin Islands.Guam. The Northern Mariana Islands.American Samoa.

coach53
So I am curious... Is there a Philippine health care plan available to foreigners... if so, what us the cost, and benefit?
- @Wellsfry

There is the public service Philhealth  https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/

Did you mean excluding that?
pnwcyclist
infusions.
- @michaelwackers50

Hi Michael, and welcome.  200k php is $4K USD. I'd say you got off easy. And you're still alive - a double win!  Like others mentioned, in the US that would have cost a fortune.

Thanks for sharing that, and again.. welcome to the forum. We have an intro page at the top if you want to share a little.
FilAmericanMom
infusions.
- @michaelwackers50

Around 10 years ago, my husband was hospitalized for 10 days due to pneumonia. He stayed in a large private room for the first two days, and the rest in a small private room.  Total bill was around PhP170k. Most of it was covered by health insurance from his employer. Our out-of-pocket expense was around PhP17k, I think (I vaguely remember the amount as this was 10 years ago, but I remember it was less than 20k). All of the PhP170k would have been covered if we were able to secure a small private room from the start of his stay. Whether one has insurance or is self-insured, he / she should be aware that hospitals here have socialized hospitalization fees wherein the bigger / more expensive your room, the higher the cost of services, tests, medication and supplies, so he / she could pick what's best for his / her needs and budget.
coach53
Were these pneumonia cases to ill to manage with just antibiotics at home? (If started cure early.)

If possible, perhaps the total cost could have been some garlics, although they are expensive in Phils  smile.png
(I havent taken any "doctors" antibiotics since I were kid.   Garlic is "The antibiotics of the nature".  Once I, my sister and a friend got hard sinisitus at same time. They went to doctor, got antibiotics and got ok in 2 MONTHS.  I ate garlic cures plus ate onions as they would have been apples to make the clugg poor out as much as possible and got ok in two WEEKS inspite of they rested and I played Swedish championships in chess during I were as most ill (because I had paid allready and was the best location I could get.)  Being concentrated 6 - 12 hours per day plus preparings is very tireding even for a person in good health. Inspite of my illness, which almost made me fall asleep during some of the matches, I did my second best result ever perhaps/probably by stinking garlic, eat onions as apples and got a plastic bag full of snott paper per match distracted opponents much   1f923.svg

An other funny true story related to onions, garlic and SE Asia:
When a friend's thai girlfriend moved to Sweden a big part of her laguage was onions, believing that was a good idea. She didnt became happy when she got to know onions cost much less in Sweden than in Thailand  1f923.svg

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles