Menu
Expat.com

Getting a U.S. Visa

Last activity 31 May 2022 by woodsdancer

Peeweeaz1
Because Vietnamese citizens are frequently denied a visa at either the Consulate in Hanoi or the embassy in Ho Chi Minh, I'm asking if a Vietnamese citizen living in Vietnam can somehow apply for a U.S. visa in the U.S.?
OceanBeach92107
Because Vietnamese citizens are frequently denied a visa at either the Consulate in Hanoi or the embassy in Ho Chi Minh, I'm asking if a Vietnamese citizen living in Vietnam can somehow apply for a U.S. visa in the U.S.?
- @Peeweeaz1
Only if you are ready to marry her, but even then, it's difficult.

If your sweetheart (I've read your posts) can somehow get to the US on a tourist visa (tour company sponsored is most likely) then you could meet in Vegas, get married and then apply for a green card.

With the assistance of the tour company she might stand a better chance of getting a tourist visa, but that doesn't mean that she isn't going to have to answer questions about economic solvency back in Vietnam.

That's often the main thing keeping Vietnamese citizens from being able to get a visa to the United States.

The United States government wants to make sure that she plans to go home.

All other options require applying while she is still in Vietnam, including the "Finance Visa" application

There are a number of posts about fiance (fiancée) visas on the forum

If you really love her and you know you want to marry her then probably better to just start planning to come to Vietnam to get married.
Peeweeaz1
Thank you for such an informative post.
OceanBeach92107
Thank you for such an informative post.
- @Peeweeaz1
I'm glad that helped, even with the typo (Fiance visa, not finance visa...Yogi would get a laugh out of that Freudian slip)
gobot
Technically it is the embassy in Hanoi and the consulate in Saigon. An embassy is the primary office usually/always? located in the capital city; there can be multiple consulates located in other cities.
OceanBeach92107
Technically it is the embassy in Hanoi and the consulate in Saigon. An embassy is the primary office usually/always? located in the capital city; there can be multiple consulates located in other cities.
- @gobot
Hey P~

I'm guessing you are referencing this?

More information on the website of the US Embassy and Consulate, Vietnam
Also this version of the webpage in Tiếng Việt
- @OceanBeach92107
I wrote it that way because, although the HCMC Consulate has it's own web page, it's part of the official US government website called "U.S. Embassy & Consulate in Vietnam"

Since the OP didn't specify the location of his sweetheart, I figured she would be able to choose the location most convenient for her.

Looking forward to seeing you and T again sometime after July 1st, to introduce my fiancée.

Cheers!

G
Peeweeaz1

@gobot you are correct. My bad.

woodsdancer
@Peeweeaz1

actually the rejection rate for visitor visa is n bot nearly as for Vietnamese as the common belief suggests. The rejection rate for Vietnamese is 26% (compare to Somalia: 90.2%, Iran: 87.7% or even Philippines 27%. But be sure to apply properly.  Permanent visas of course much harder to get without a family connection)

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles