Menu
Expat.com

Taking Vietnamese Girlfriend to the UK

Last activity 24 June 2022 by Malcolmleitrim

Bill2014
How easy is it to get a visa for Vietnamese friend to come stay with me in the UK. I guess a tourist visa would be required?
SimCityAT
How easy is it to get a visa for Vietnamese friend to come stay with me in the UK. I guess a tourist visa would be required?
- @Bill2014

She will need a visa, and that can only be obtained by going to the nearest British Embassy.
OceanBeach92107
- @Bill2014
I'm not sure about the restrictions in the UK, but in the United States it's imperative that she proved that she has every reason to return to Vietnam, based upon her financial well-being.

in the US, the immigration officer must be convinced that she is not a risk to overstay her tourist visa
SimCityAT
- @Bill2014
I'm not sure about the restrictions in the UK, but in the United States it's imperative that she proved that she has every reason to return to Vietnam, based upon her financial well-being.

in the US, the immigration officer must be convinced that she is not a risk to overstay her tourist visa
- @OceanBeach92107

Like having a return flight, also proof that the couple is in a relationship.
OceanBeach92107
- @Bill2014

- @OceanBeach92107

Like having a return flight, also proof that the couple is in a relationship.
- @SimCityAT
Actually, in the US, it's not necessarily a good thing to mention a boyfriend or girlfriend in the states unless of course you are attempting to get the specific fiance visa.
findgw
With a new Vietnamese wife, who has Taiwanese citizenship and passport, I can say that a Vietnamese passport holder has next to no chance of getting a holiday visa to anywhere. Sad, but true. Seek the advice of a good agency here in Vietnam and they can try their best. All previous comments are very valid. Good luck.
gobot
With a new Vietnamese wife, who has Taiwanese citizenship and passport, I can say that a Vietnamese passport holder has next to no chance of getting a holiday visa to anywhere. Sad, but true. Seek the advice of a good agency here in Vietnam and they can try their best. All previous comments are very valid. Good luck.
- @findgw

US consulate really has to hate US citizens, to make their foreign national spouses not welcome. 1f620.svg
Malcolmleitrim
- @findgw

Based on my experience, I agree with this. My vietnamese girlfriend tried to get a visa to visit me in Ireland before Covid, and after a lot of complicated and expensive paperwork, declarations from me, a commitment to insurance and a return ticket, she was still refused. The reasons given were so open ended that it would have been impossible to challenge them.
It seems the Irish government only welcomes refugees and rich people and I imagine the UK would be much the same. Go ahead and try, but be prepared to be disappointed.
findgw
First  World countries (Fourth World discriminators) are all the same. The part that angers me the most is that even if you offer a $20,000 to $50,000 surety, as friends of mine have done, their partner's visitor visa is still refused. Even with my Vietnamese wife's Taiwanese citizenship,  there has been no action on an Australian Marriage Visa application filed in January with an $8,000 non refundable fee. Similarly an Australian Tourist Visa Application filed February  has not moved an inch. And yet, for my wife "Welcome to America , UK and all of Schengen Europe"  not a problem... just *&^$$# bizarre...
Guest2023
First  World countries (Fourth World discriminators) are all the same. The part that angers me the most is that even if you offer a $20,000 to $50,000 surety, as friends of mine have done, their partner's visitor visa is still refused. Even with my Vietnamese wife's Taiwanese citizenship,  there has been no action on an Australian Marriage Visa application filed in January with an $8,000 non refundable fee. Similarly an Australian Tourist Visa Application filed February  has not moved an inch. And yet, for my wife "Welcome to America , UK and all of Schengen Europe"  not a problem... just *&^$$# bizarre...
- @findgw

If you filed for the Australian visa in January, dont expect to hear anything until the end of this year, maybe sooner. The visa is processed in Viet Nam by Vietnamese if that is where you are residing. Not in Australia, the final decision is done in Australia. My wifes visa took 7- months to be approved, its just a matter of waiting.
findgw

@colinoscapee Good Morning from Trang Bang. Oh yes, waiting, waiting, waiting... yaaawwwwnnn... we are exploring Vietnam until September then back to Europe for 3 months... yawwwnnn, but fun!

SteveMiike

@colinoscapee Good Morning from Trang Bang. Oh yes, waiting, waiting, waiting... yaaawwwwnnn... we are exploring Vietnam until September then back to Europe for 3 months... yawwwnnn, but fun!

- @findgw

In the same boat bud. The words "initial assessment" will forever be rage inducing.
THIGV
US consulate really has to hate US citizens, to make their foreign national spouses not welcome. 1f620.svg
- @gobot

At first glance it does seem that way but the problem stems from one of the ways that regular immigration works.   The "normal" way is to apply while the spouse is in his/her home country.   As you may have heard or read, there is a huge amount of paperwork, which I will not detail here, and months of waiting, climaxing in the interview where many are rejected.  Alternatively if the spouse or would be spouse was already in the US, under whatever authority legal or even illegal, it is possible to immediately get married and submit Form-I845 Adjustment of Status Application.   A period of interviews and even home visits will follow but most applications are approved.   Most denials are for working while awaiting a decision.  Most approvals are made in 8-14 months which is certainly less than the time needed for applications through the Hanoi Embassy or HCMC Consulate.   As you can see, this is unfortunately a way to jump the line so to speak.  The US basically keeps this down by rejecting tourist visas from countries with a history of visa overstays.
gobot
- @gobot

At first glance it does seem that way but the problem stems from one of the ways that regular immigration works.   The "normal" way is to apply while the spouse is in his/her home country.   As you may have heard or read, there is a huge amount of paperwork, which I will not detail here, and months of waiting, climaxing in the interview where many are rejected.  Alternatively if the spouse or would be spouse was already in the US, under whatever authority legal or even illegal, it is possible to immediately get married and submit Form-I845 Adjustment of Status Application.   A period of interviews and even home visits will follow but most applications are approved.   Most denials are for working while awaiting a decision.  Most approvals are made in 8-14 months which is certainly less than the time needed for applications through the Hanoi Embassy or HCMC Consulate.   As you can see, this is unfortunately a way to jump the line so to speak.  The US basically keeps this down by rejecting tourist visas from countries with a history of visa overstays.
- @THIGV

I didn't mean to hijack a UK thread, but I was responding to @findgw

- @findgw
regarding US tourist visas, between a citizen and foreign national, who are legally married. Another forum member's wife got rejected recently too. Spouse pays a non-refundable $160, submits a long form about finances, shows proof of marriage, is interviewed (in my case they asked to see me too).

I feel very lucky that my wife was allowed in 2019, but we were: married 3 years in Vietnam, she owns property, has a VN bank account with a year's salary, a 2-year full-time professional job. The bar doesn't have to be that high. I claim a US citizen should be allowed to bring a spouse on vacation to the US with minimum hassle.  We seriously worry that next year, if she quits her job, her application will be rejected and not allowed to visit my family again. 1f625.svg1f620.svg
findgw

@gobot It's racism and it sucks

Guest2023

- @findgw

Its all mainly due to so many Vietnamese taking off when on a tourist visa. Same in Australia, so many have overstayed or  try to enter illegally. The governments are just trying to keep things under control.
goodolboy

- @findgw

Oh god  not another one pulling the race card.
Malcolmleitrim

- @findgw

- @goodolboy

Of course it's racism, penalising regular tourists from certain countries just because some people from those countries have overstayed their visas. I can't think of a more appropriate word.
Guest2023

- @findgw

- @goodolboy

Of course it's racism, penalising regular tourists from certain countries just because some people from those countries have overstayed their visas. I can't think of a more appropriate word.
- @Malcolmleitrim

Nah, you are getting very confused about the word "racism."

Is it racist for the VN govt not to allow foreigners to own a carbike ỏ land in their name?
What about having no rights á an "alien" whilst residing in the country.

The USA, like most countries have right to refuse whoever they please, nothing to do with racism.

SteveMiike
Not racism but definitely painting all Vietnamese with the same brush. My wife lived in Australia for 3 years while doing her Masters, has been in and out multiple times with no issue, been in and out of several other "more developed" countries before/since then yet they claim every application is case by case. Gimme a break would yas.
Guest2023
Not racism but definitely painting all Vietnamese with the same brush. My wife lived in Australia for 3 years while doing her Masters, has been in and out multiple times with no issue, been in and out of several other "more developed" countries before/since then yet they claim every application is case by case. Gimme a break would yas.
- @SteveMiike

When applying for a visa at a foreign embassy/consulate in Viet Nam, the visa process is generally done by Vietnamese staff working there. Therefore, the Vietnamese staff are racist against their own people.

Hungary, Czech Republic and Thailand wanted to limit visas to Vietnamese due to the illegal activities being done by them. So yeah, their predecessors have set the tone for the rest. Cant blame a govt for reducing the numbers if they  are having trouble with them.
goodolboy

- @findgw

- @goodolboy

- @Malcolmleitrim

oh god, another WOKE liberal, lets have no borders & a free for all. Could it be that you are just sulking because of your own experience?

My experience for what its worth about Vietnamese getting visa's to visit other countries.................My GF Ms My has been to Japan once, Korea 3 times, Taiwan twice & came on holiday with me to Hong Kong once.
My previous land lady has toured Europe & UK on vacation. One of my Vietnamese friends (male) has been to Europe & Scandinavia countless times on business. My ex wife's daughter went on a training Visa for 2 years to USA & every day I see posts on FB from tour companies advertising & showing Vietnamese on tour in Europe & Middle East  so its pretty obvious to me that for some Vietnamese there is no problems getting visas & certainly no issue on "race" as far as getting Visa's. A friend of mine & brother of a regular forum poster has his Vietnamese  GF over to Australia on holiday right now  so she must have a tourist visa to go there. Which beggars the difficult question for you. if some Vietnamese can get a visa to visit countries outside ASEAN why can your GF not??
Malcolmleitrim

- @findgw

- @goodolboy

- @Malcolmleitrim

oh god, another WOKE liberal, lets have no borders & a free for all. Could it be that you are just sulking because of your own experience?

My experience for what its worth about Vietnamese getting visa's to visit other countries.................My GF Ms My has been to Japan once, Korea 3 times, Taiwan twice & came on holiday with me to Hong Kong once.
My previous land lady has toured Europe & UK on vacation. One of my Vietnamese friends (male) has been to Europe & Scandinavia countless times on business. My ex wife's daughter went on a training Visa for 2 years to USA & every day I see posts on FB from tour companies advertising & showing Vietnamese on tour in Europe & Middle East  so its pretty obvious to me that for some Vietnamese there is no problems getting visas & certainly no issue on "race" as far as getting Visa's. A friend of mine & brother of a regular forum poster has his Vietnamese  GF over to Australia on holiday right now  so she must have a tourist visa to go there. Which beggars the difficult question for you. if some Vietnamese can get a visa to visit countries outside ASEAN why can your GF not??
- @goodolboy

We are discussing a lot of different issues here, involving different countries, so it's a complicated matter. All I can say is that my girlfriend was refused a tourist visa for Ireland and the reasons given were so open ended as to be unchallengeable. I know for a fact that wealthy individuals from almost any country can get a visa for Ireland, even an Irish passport if they are rich enough! At the other end of the spectrum, Ireland welcomes refugees from various countries.
I have no idea of the situation in the USA or Australia, but I understand that a similar prejudice prevails in the UK.
Regarding the staff in the embassy  being vietnamese, of course they are and they are doing the paperwork, but they are not responsible for approving applications. My Irish friends are generally shocked by this situation, they as Europeans just assume that you apply for a visa and you get one more or less automatically.
Guest2023
"Regarding the staff in the embassy  being vietnamese, of course they are and they are doing the paperwork, but they are not responsible for approving applications."

The Vietnamese staff give their opinion whether a visa should be given, then the person responsible for issuing takes their advice and issues it. Same with a decline. Its obvious your gf didnt meet the requirements.

My friends applied for an Australian PR visa, it was rejected by a Vietnamese employee. It went no further than her, they didnt even get an interview. 8000 aud down the shitter due to some VN *** thinking that a younger man would not be interested in an older woman, VN thinking, not Australian thinking.
Malcolmleitrim

The Vietnamese staff give their opinion whether a visa should be given, then the person responsible for issuing takes their advice and issues it. Same with a decline. Its obvious your gf didnt meet the requirements
- @colinoscapee

As I said before, everything we were asked for was provided and the reasons given  for refusal were completely open ended.
example: "not enough evidence shown of intention to return to Vietnam "
Now, with a return ticket and a letter from me backing everything up, they are basically calling her a liar. I think it is very unreasonable behaviour, but there's no point in you and I disputing the fine details, it is what it is.
THIGV
"Regarding the staff in the embassy  being vietnamese, of course they are and they are doing the paperwork, but they are not responsible for approving applications."

The Vietnamese staff give their opinion whether a visa should be given, then the person responsible for issuing takes their advice and issues it. Same with a decline. Its obvious your gf didnt meet the requirements.

- @colinoscapee

The same basically holds true at the US Consulate.  With apologies to those who saw my post from over a year ago, allow me to relate out story.  My wife had the Vietnamese employee at the window demand a copy or original of her sổ hộ khẩu (housebook).   At that time the hộ khẩu was not in the online checklist of required documents on the Consulate website, although apparently it is now.   My wife called me to the window and I demanded that I see a US employee.   One came to the window and I showed him a printout of the web page, which I had fortunately brought with us.   He conceded that the document was not needed and I also asked that he conduct the remainder of the interview.   I was sure that the Vietnamese employee had already lost face and would be hostile.   The rest of the interview went relatively smoothly despite his asking what I considered a chicken**** question about the ages and names of my adult children.   There is no doubt in my mind that if I had not been present, she would have been rejected by the Viet employee without any recourse.   

There are likely financial reasons that local employees are used by Consulates, and there may be legitimate applicants with very limited English who need translation, but giving those local employees the power that they have remains a problem.  I can imagine a country based employee overruling the local employee and turning down an applicant, but I can hardly imagine the opposite scenario where the local rejects and the country employee approves.    They may have, as you suggest, only an advisory authority on approvals but they certainly seem to have the power of rejection.
Guest2023

- @colinoscapee

The same basically holds true at the US Consulate.  With apologies to those who saw my post from over a year ago, allow me to relate out story.  My wife had the Vietnamese employee at the window demand a copy or original of her sổ hộ khẩu (housebook).   At that time the hộ khẩu was not in the online checklist of required documents on the Consulate website, although apparently it is now.   My wife called me to the window and I demanded that I see a US employee.   One came to the window and I showed him a printout of the web page, which I had fortunately brought with us.   He conceded that the document was not needed and I also asked that he conduct the remainder of the interview.   I was sure that the Vietnamese employee had already lost face and would be hostile.   The rest of the interview went relatively smoothly despite his asking what I considered a chicken**** question about the ages and names of my adult children.   There is no doubt in my mind that if I had not been present, she would have been rejected by the Viet employee without any recourse.   

There are likely financial reasons that local employees are used by Consulates, and there may be legitimate applicants with very limited English who need translation, but giving those local employees the power that they have remains a problem.  I can imagine a country based employee overruling the local employee and turning down an applicant, but I can hardly imagine the opposite scenario where the local rejects and the country employee approves.    They may have, as you suggest, only an advisory authority on approvals but they certainly seem to have the power of rejection.
- @THIGV

My wife's Australian Residence visa was done in Vietnam. My govt pays local wages but charges us Aussie prices. We paid 7700 aud for the application, the cost of a Vietnamese to do the application in Viet Nam is about  one tenth the cost to be done in Australia. Nice little profit for my beloved govt.
Guest2023
People keep going on about the discrimination, it happens in VN also. Years ago a company in Binh Duong had a sign out front that they wouldn't employ people from Ha Tinh and Thanh Hoa. Its obvious they had problems with people from those regions. Was there a big issue mad of it....NO.
Malcolmleitrim
People keep going on about the discrimination, it happens in VN also. Years ago a company in Binh Duong had a sign out front that they wouldn't employ people from Ha Tinh and Thanh Hoa. Its obvious they had problems with people from those regions. Was there a big issue mad of it....NO.
- @colinoscapee

Maybe there should have been. I am old enough to remember signs in London saying "no blacks, no dogs, no Irish,"  this behaviour has no place in the modern world.
At least in Vietnam they are upfront about it, what really annoys me is the hypocrisy of  western governments, my particular example being Ireland. They like to portray an image of generosity and welcome, but the reality is different.
Guest2023
- @colinoscapee

Maybe there should have been. I am old enough to remember signs in London saying "no blacks, no dogs, no Irish,"  this behaviour has no place in the modern world.
At least in Vietnam they are upfront about it, what really annoys me is the hypocrisy of  western governments, my particular example being Ireland. They like to portray an image of generosity and welcome, but the reality is different.
- @Malcolmleitrim

Wheres the hypocrisy?

Your gf didnt meet the criteria, take it up with the VN who put forth that she shouldn't get the visa.

To enlighten yourself, read Thigv's post.
Aidan in HCMC
My wife's Australian Residence visa was done in Vietnam. My govt pays local wages but charges us Aussie prices. We paid 7700 aud for the application, the cost of a Vietnamese to do the application in Viet Nam is about  one tenth the cost to be done in Australia. Nice little profit for my beloved govt. - @colinoscapee

J.H.Christ!
$7,700 AUD (120 million+ VND), just to apply!!? Un-ff'ing-believable! 
Guest2023
My wife's Australian Residence visa was done in Vietnam. My govt pays local wages but charges us Aussie prices. We paid 7700 aud for the application, the cost of a Vietnamese to do the application in Viet Nam is about  one tenth the cost to be done in Australia. Nice little profit for my beloved govt. - @colinoscapee

J.H.Christ!
$7,700 AUD (120 million+ VND), just to apply!!? Un-ff'ing-believable! 
- @Aidan in HCMC

Yep. Friends of mine did the same visa and some VN ***decided to use VN logic to decline it. Now its costing them another 2.5k aud to fight it. 3-years down the track and nothings been done.
Aidan in HCMC
@colinoscapee
It appears to be jealousy, pure and simple. I've seen Viet Kieu treated with utter disdain by locals, for no other reason than the fact that they are Viet Kieu.
God forgive me for saying this, but it reminds me of a bucket of crabs. You can fill a bucket right to the brim with crabs without fear of any escaping, because as soon as one makes headway towards the edge, another behind it will latch on and pull it back down.
goodolboy
- @colinoscapee

- @Malcolmleitrim

Wheres the hypocrisy?

Your gf didnt meet the criteria, take it up with the VN who put forth that she shouldn't get the visa.

- @colinoscapee

Thing is Thigv was taking his wife & I suppose totally different for some old geezer trying to take a GF he sees by the sounds of it at the most by visiting Vietnam twice a year.
Malcolmleitrim
- @colinoscapee

- @Malcolmleitrim

Wheres the hypocrisy?

- @colinoscapee

You keep insisting that this issue is the responsibility of the vietnamese, this is not the case. The visa was refused by the Irish embassy on behalf of the Irish state, the nationality of the people they employ is irrelevant.
The hypocrisy I was referring to has nothing to do with my girlfriend at all, I was simply stating that a lot of western countries like to portray themselves as liberal and welcoming when in fact they are not.
Anyway I'm not interested in arguing about it, I have other things to do, I just wanted to share my experience with the OP because I understand the situation is similar for the UK.
Guest2023
- @colinoscapee

- @Malcolmleitrim

Wheres the hypocrisy?

- @colinoscapee

You keep insisting that this issue is the responsibility of the vietnamese, this is not the case. The visa was refused by the Irish embassy on behalf of the Irish state, the nationality of the people they employ is irrelevant.
The hypocrisy I was referring to has nothing to do with my girlfriend at all, I was simply stating that a lot of western countries like to portray themselves as liberal and welcoming when in fact they are not.
Anyway I'm not interested in arguing about it, I have other things to do, I just wanted to share my experience with the OP because I understand the situation is similar for the UK.
- @Malcolmleitrim

Its obvious you have no idea how things actually work in Viet Nam.
Malcolmleitrim
@goodolboy

This old geezer was happily living with his vietnamese girlfriend for six months before the Covid lockdowns took hold. We would happily spend six months of the year in Vietnam and six months in Ireland, but neither government seems to accept this.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles