Water tank size?

Nice Larry.

Cheers, Steve.

@Larry Fisher

oh good to know as i have no idea how to run a piggery just starting up new venture

@renegadesric529

Most backyard piggery endeavors with foreigners are losers. Most last less than 1 year. This piggery has been going for the better part of 15 years. But it wasn't very profitable until I got involved with butt loads of research.

1. probably 80% of back yard piggeries in the provinces send their fatteners to slaughter 4-8 weeks TOO EARLY. The fastest daily pound growth is between 4-6 months of age. They grow at fantastic rates. Unfortunately this also requires the investment in feed that so many Pinoys can't afford. Just think, before this lot of 20 started going to the slaughterhouse we bought 15 sacks of feed at an avg of about 1600p each. This would be about one weeks supply for the 20 fatteners in the 5 month to 6 month age. Prior to 5 months it was 10 sacks per week.  However, our avg slaughtered weight (that's no hide, gutted, hanging weight) was 105 kilos. The largest @ 124 kg, smallest @ 87 kg. You will have varying size.
  2. Good breeds are paramount. Not just any pig from a nearby farm with no breeding history. And certainly not the local boar 5 doors down the road. We select the boar from a distributor for P.I.C. and buy semen for artificial insemination. Most feed suppliers will give you a free "tech" to do the AI if you don't know how. We do this ourselves now. In times when we may be taking a born on farm piglet and turning it into a Gilt/Sow, we have the blood line and pick a boar from a different P.I.C. bloodline (no inbreeding) to create a good litter for meat fatteners.
  3. Good feed! Don't go cheap.
  4. Cleanliness is next to godliness! After my wife only running 1-2 sows and selling piglets, rather than fattening (profitable and less work but much less profitable) and allowing the stench of waste to just go into a deep ditch on property, we finally had a bio-gas unit built. The smell is almost gone. And the dirty kitchen stove runs on pig methane. We have been inspected by the local officials and they comment on ours being the cleanest piggery they see in the back yard piggery business. We are obviously not running afoul of them.

As you can see there's more to it than just buying a couple females and fattening up some piglets. I didn't even get into vaccinations and vitamins. Spend as much time as possible learning and the return will be beneficial.

Best wishes

@Larry Fisher

i will buff up on the whole process when i eventually arrive in ph there seems a lot to learn

How to make it proffitable from the start

your info will be valuable to me thank you

@Gregorio2020 Forgot to mention that our tank is usually good for 5-6 days before we refill it.....we have 6-8 showers per day, run washing machine 3 times per week. Maybe this could hep the OP what size he needs.

@Larry Fisher
i will buff up on the whole process when i eventually arrive in ph there seems a lot to learn
How to make it proffitable from the start
your info will be valuable to me thank you

-@renegadesric529

So we got the weight of the last two fatteners slaughtered yesterday and I can conclude that "cycle" financially.

All expenses, income, profit/loss are my wife's. I just helped with some $ to make piggery improvements for the long-term like the bio-gas tank, some expansion, etc. That was a few years ago. Now it's on her. But I offer guidance and suggestions based on just trying to analyze what's profitable and reasonable for the Phils while trying to stay focused on higher quality. Meaning I watch breeds, sow/boar bloodlines, birth cycles and planning for culling sows. But she makes the decisions in the end. It's hers.

So our last batch of 20 fattened, along with the feeding of four sows during the entire cycle, ate a total of 6850 kg of feed. Cost = 230,225 php or 33.6 php per kg. (137 50 kg sacks of feed).

There were many other expenses during the cycle. Labor, vitamins, antibiotics, vaccinations, artificial inseminations of the sows after weaning, etc. But in the end, she netted over 250k php. This is over roughly a 5.5-6 month period.

This cycle had it's issues. Two of our sows are nearing cull time. And one had issues during pregnancy and it was her first litter. She literally delivered only one live piglet. But we're not culling her out yet. She's on her next cycle and should deliver in about a month so we'll decide based on that result. It's just part of the business.

Larry, you are a busy man, well done and prosper.

Cheers, Steve.

@Larry Fisher

i have 3 pigs 1 is due to drop piglets next week the other 2 are in 8 weeks

what is price of feed for a month for them

as im in UK

going forward i want to do maths on productivity as im paying 10000 pesos a month for foods would this be about right

yhanks for info Larry

@renegadesric529

just had 8 piglets today

1000l

Did you find what you were looking for?      We installed a water tower and the water lines under the cement.  The pressure is awful.   Do you have any recommendations for a water pressure pump?   

@gwaps Did you find what you were looking for?

We installed a water tank for our home in the Philippines.  Unfortunately, we were not there when the work was done.  The water lines seem way too small and the pressure is awful.  We can't change anything since the lines are under cement.   I am thinking about installing a pump/pressure tank. 

Any thoughts or brand ideas?

We travel back and forth to/from the US.    We could ship a pump if we had an idea on a specific brand.

Thank you,  Robert...

The Barangy water system broke down a couple of years ago.  We purchased (2) 2,000 liter tanks, 1 collects the rain water from the roof,  the other is on a small tower,  about 2 meters above ground.  From the rain gutter,   covered the gutters with screen, I used a plastic tub with holes, covered the bottom with screen and layers of material like they use for air con filters. Purchased a simple submersible pump to transfer water to the elevated tank.  Pressure is low, but we have fairly clean water for laundry, sinks and toilet. As for showers,  it's TABO time.  As for pressure,  it's roughly 2 feet of head equals 1 psi. Simply increasing the height of the tank will produce more pressure, but volume is still restricted to your pipe size.

Regards Keith

@renegadesric529

Sorry about the so-late reply. Feed cost starts low as small one don't eat as much obviously. But for example we have 27 we are fattening now. They're about 4 months old? (I'd have to look at my data which isn't open atm) We got 10 sacks delivered Friday. Cost: 18,085.00 php. This will last about one week at this point in development. Maybe 9 days. As they get closer to the 6 month mark we will have 15 sacks delivered at a time.

@gwaps Did you find what you were looking for?
We installed a water tank for our home in the Philippines.  Unfortunately, we were not there when the work was done.  The water lines seem way too small and the pressure is awful.  We can't change anything since the lines are under cement.   I am thinking about installing a pump/pressure tank. 

Any thoughts or brand ideas?

We travel back and forth to/from the US.    We could ship a pump if we had an idea on a specific brand.

Thank you,  Robert...

-@Robertcounselor

We have a 1000 liter tank, on the ground. Well, ok on a 6-8 inch cement pad. We use a 1hp bladder pump for pressure, maxed out at 41psi. Wasn't too expensive, but I don't recall the total. Bought it from Cebu Home Builders. Works great for us, even with the criminally small lines.

@gwaps Did you find what you were looking for?We installed a water tank for our home in the Philippines.  Unfortunately, we were not there when the work was done.  The water lines seem way too small and the pressure is awful.  We can't change anything since the lines are under cement.   I am thinking about installing a pump/pressure tank.  Any thoughts or brand ideas?We travel back and forth to/from the US.    We could ship a pump if we had an idea on a specific brand. Thank you,  Robert...         -@Robertcounselor

We have a 1000 liter tank, on the ground. Well, ok on a 6-8 inch cement pad. We use a 1hp bladder pump for pressure, maxed out at 41psi. Wasn't too expensive, but I don't recall the total. Bought it from Cebu Home Builders. Works great for us, even with the criminally small lines.

-@Larry Fisher

We have the same thing with good water pressure at 40 psi. We used to have a bladder pressure tank which is supposed to have advantages but in our case the bladder waterlogged so we installed a traditional 100l stainless steel pressure tank fed from our 1000l storage tank and all is fine.

We only have a deep well and no town water. When we purchased over 7 years ago here was a cast iron hand pump and a cast iron water pump connected to a S/S receiver, 80 litres from memory and sprouted water everywhere 6 months after we moved in, closer inspection showed this tank had been repaired a few times,,,,, typical silly westerner raced out and purchased a new one that also sprung leaks after 2 years.

I replaced it with a S/S pump 1HP and an automatic controller and cost about P5K online (the S/S receiver was like 4K), Swapped it over myself with a few fittings and perfect and a constant pressure.

Like mentioned before by others all the water lines here were half inch and through the building/renovation process replaced every thing with 1 inch to the house and 10 outdoor garden taps around the property. The pump house is 35 metres from the house so there are friction loses involved.

The controller died after a year or I thought, We keep a spare pump and controller in the garage, replaced the controller and same problem,,,,,,, Being an old retired plumber pulled out the foot valve and replaced and not missed a beat in over 12 months.

Problem was the old system gave us some 40 litres of water from the receiver but the new system no water if the power went out unless we cranked up the generator, self contained solar sorted that out.

A reliable water supply is critical whether domestic or commercial for comfort and productivity.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

@Robertcounselor

Hello, I made my own watertank stand (625lt) and it gravity feeds into the house because we have so many water outages. It works well enough to finish the laundry, have a shower, wash the dishes and flush the toilet. Probably less than P10,000 and will work when there is no power.

regards  Bruce

@Robertcounselor
Hello, I made my own watertank stand (625lt) and it gravity feeds into the house because we have so many water outages. It works well enough to finish the laundry, have a shower, wash the dishes and flush the toilet. Probably less than P10,000 and will work when there is no power.
regards  Bruce

-@GoDees

It is good when the utility supplies enough pressure that the water can fill the tank a few feet above the roof line. In our case the storage tank is ground level but at a roofline gravity feed level, the water would not have enough pressure to fill the storage tank.

@danfinn

Hello, mine is NOT above the roof line but high enough to do all the things lited.

Contact me if you want more details.

regards  Bruce

@danfinn
Hello, mine is NOT above the roof line but high enough to do all the things lited.
Contact me if you want more details.
regards  Bruce

-@GoDees

Thanks for the offer of more details but I get the idea. If you ever decide to get into pressure tanks and pumps, bladder tanks and storage tanks let me know.

@GoDees

as we have many water stops what size tank and pump would be ideal to overcome this problem