Transitioning to Vietnam

Hello everyone! I am tired of the high costs of living in the U.S. and all the beauracy.  At 63 I would like to become an expat. I have narrowed it down to Thailand and Vietnam.  I have done some research on the internet as far as costs, visas, etc. But I would like to connect with someone already living there for the hard facts! Thanks so much.
Hello everyone! I am tired of the high costs of living in the U.S. and all the beauracy.  At 63 I would like to become an expat. I have narrowed it down to Thailand and Vietnam.  I have done some research on the internet as far as costs, visas, etc. But I would like to connect with someone already living there for the hard facts! Thanks so much.
- @sfowler2760
Welcome to the Vietnam forum sfowler2760.

Many of the "hard facts" have already been discussed repeatedly here in the forum, and although the search function can be iffy, you are welcome to search and read to your heart's content on your favorite specific subject.

Probably the most pertinent "hard fact" currently will limit you to 30 day eVisas for tourists which cannot be extended in country, requiring a border run every 30 days, UNLESS you manage the difficult process of getting legally employed OR get married to a Vietnamese citizen OR invest at least $130,000.00 USD for a multi-year Temporary Residence Card or invest about $26,000.00 USD in a legal business startup for a 1 year business visa (requires hiring a lawyer in Vietnam in most cases).

I'm guessing you will enjoy your retirement in Thailand, unless current visa restrictions change in Vietnam.

Good Luck!

O.B.

@sfowler2760

An important point to remember, and no doubt you've seen this whilst doing your research, is that Vietnam does not have, nor has it ever had, a "retirement visa". See OB's points, in the preceeding post to this, regarding VN visas. These are essentially your only choices.

Thailand does have a retirement visa. Visit a few immigration agencies when you arrive there, commit to nothing upon your first visits, just gather your options.

Something to seriously weigh prior to your deciding.

(besides, I hear there are many more people "transitioning" in Thailand) :)
sorry, couldn't resist
- @sfowler2760

SE Asia can be lots cheaper, but has all the bureaucracy of the US, minus protections of rule of law and courts that care about citizen complaints.
It is good to gather and compare information, you can ask for specific "facts" here, you will get our opinions.

There is more than one Vietnam, more than one Thailand, geographical location makes a big difference.
I highly recommend you plan a month-long trip to visit before you commit to moving to any foreign country, you may find that neither Vietnam nor Thailand are what you expected! 1f60e.svg
You may want to consider a cheaper part if the US if your only reason to come to SE Asia is because it is cheap.  It takes some doing to actually live here.

@sfowler2760 I'd consider Cambodia if you are definite on wanting to retire elsewhere, but as other folks have pointed out you may find some challenges. Financially for a year of a retirement EOS, it will be about $300 in Cambodia. You can arrive and get a visa on arrival but be sure to get the ordinary visa since the others cannot be extended to extension of stay visas. There are a few resources. There is a Facebook group but I gave up on Facebook for a few different reasons so I can't help with that group and there is a nice forum here to consider for Cambodia where the folks will help. Also there is the movetocambodia website. I've lived in Cambodia repeatedly for some years. Life is good there. I also bought the retirement extension pre pandemic times to use as a base and bounced around where I wanted to go. Having the retirement extension was nice since I could go to Vietnam or Malaysia or Singapore or wherever whenever I wanted and always go back. I've wished for a Vietnam retirement visa for years. I lived there for almost two years in 2020/2021 and went through the process of starting a LLC there. I failed at that and left. Now I am going back to Cambodia to live.

I'm requesting ADMIN clean up this thread, since it includes a questionable external link AND is going way off topic.

Please refer to the Cambodia Forum for discussions and answers about Cambodia.

Thanks for your cooperation.

O.B.
Vietnam Forum Advisor
Expat.com team
"Vì tình yêu Việt Nam"
The evisa one month right now will stop any person that wants to retire in vietnam and it is too bad because it is a great country.
Until visa change i will suggest u visit the country extensively because hanoi is not hcmc or dalat or danang
Marrying local will solve the visa problem but even that is very time consuming and complicated. We married in canada instead. Opening a bank account also for foreigners is complicated.
@SergGugu
Things probably won't change anytime in the near future.
The time and difficulty to get married may actually weed out some who aren't really serious. Vietnam isn't the only country where it's hard to open a bank account.
@sfowler2760

It depends. What standard of living are you looking for?

I've been living here for 9 1/2 years. At first I had a business visa, but they started to clamp down on those who didn't have a work permit along with that. Now I have a 1yr investor visa.

Tourist visas are 30 days +/-. It changes frequently. At one time you could get a 3 mo tourist visa renew it every 3 months, in country, and then just do a border run to renew. But they clamped down on those and "had" only issued 30 days with no option to renew.

Business visas are an option if you can get a job here. Teaching English is the easiest to get as there is high demand. Teaching part-time is also acceptable. You have to have a degree and a clean criminal record. The visa and work permit are good for 1 yr, and renewable.

Marriage to a local will get you a 3-5yr Temporary Resident Card. There are plenty of divorced/widowed and young single women who are interested in western men. Watch out though, there may be strings attached and now they are clamping down on marriages of over 20yrs difference in age. I'm 67 and I've had 27 y/o girls hitting on me. Ohh the power of a US Green Card.

The best way, IMHO, is to get an investor visa. I believe it's $130,000 for a 5year investor visa and TRC. Less than that and you can get 3yrs. Less than $30,000 and you get a 1yr investor visa, renewable, but no TRC. I got a 1 yr investor visa for $15,000 investment in my
GF business.

As far as living conditions, it depends on your style and location. You will pay higher if you get a western-style apartment in an expat area. For some places, there is little difference between there and the US. However, I lived in a new, very modern, 2br apartment in an outlying district for about $350. That same one in District 2/7 (where the expats live) goes for around $1200/mo. Of course, you get a swimming pool and gym for that price, (wowww).

I bought a farm, through my GF as foreigners can't buy farmland, and live on less than $1200 a month. But I live i an old primitive, traditional wood house in the Central Highlands where the temps are absolutely fabulous.

The main cities along the coast will be hot and humid. How much that affects your comfort level will depend on where you are coming from. I lived in South Florida for 13 years before coming here so the Temps didn't bother me much, until now as I get older.
I've been living here for 9 1/2 years... @doctorhands
Welcome back to the Vietnam forum, @doctorhands!

Please continue to post as often as possible.

Your personal experiences and opinions are valuable contributions to the forum.

Cheers!

O.B.
Vietnam advisor
Expat.com team
... now they are clamping down on marriages of over 20yrs difference in age.

Hi! What is your source for this bit? Thx

... now they are clamping down on marriages of over 20yrs difference in age.

-@gobot

I sincerely hope there is no source for that.

There will be a lot of disappointed suitresses if true.

@doctorhands Simple country living is the best ... I'm not much for big city style ... sighhhh ... getting ready for my escape from Saigon ... heading to the slow life on Ishigaki in Okinawa prefecture ... my favorite spot on this planet Urth. Plan to open a small home stay and semi-retire ... god willing.

applications for marriage in Vietnam are submitted to the local Peoples Committee, either in your current location, or that of the prospective spouse.  Possibly, a refusal simply means that someone is looking for a little present to make the problem disappear.

This was a large problem years ago.

Wild Bill

applications for marriage in Vietnam are submitted to the local Peoples Committee, either in your current location, or that of the prospective spouse.
Wild Bill
-@williamherron13

“Current location" is not correct.

Provincial location of the family book of the Vietnamese citizen is the only correct answer.

This is being discussed in detail in this thread (link)

A couple of corrections to my posts in this thread:

1. ₫3,000,000,000 VNĐ is now closer to a little under $121,000 USD.

2. According to my lawyer in HCMC, a Vietnamese person must get married in their place of permanent registration.

That is almost always the hometown/home province location of the family book, but some Vietnamese go through the legal process of permanently registering themselves elsewhere.

Another reason why the first person to ask for information is the prospective Vietnamese spouse.

Only that person can tell you which province has jurisdiction in their case.

@sfowler2760

I've been living here for 9 1/2 years. At first I had a business visa, but they started to clamp down on those who didn't have a work permit along with that. Now I have a 1yr investor visa.
Tourist visas are 30 days +/-. It changes frequently. At one time you could get a 3 mo tourist visa renew it every 3 months, in country, and then just do a border run to renew. But they clamped down on those and "had" only issued 30 days with no option to renew.
Business visas are an option if you can get a job here. Teaching English is the easiest to get as there is high demand. Teaching part-time is also acceptable. You have to have a degree and a clean criminal record. The visa and work permit are good for 1 yr, and renewable.
Marriage to a local will get you a 3-5yr Temporary Resident Card. There are plenty of divorced/widowed and young single women who are interested in western men. Watch out though, there may be strings attached and now they are clamping down on marriages of over 20yrs difference in age. I'm 67 and I've had 27 y/o girls hitting on me. Ohh the power of a US Green Card.

The best way, IMHO, is to get an investor visa. I believe it's $130,000 for a 5year investor visa and TRC. Less than that and you can get 3yrs. Less than $30,000 and you get a 1yr investor visa, renewable, but no TRC. I got a 1 yr investor visa for $15,000 investment in my
GF business.
As far as living conditions, it depends on your style and location. You will pay higher if you get a western-style apartment in an expat area. For some places, there is little difference between there and the US. However, I lived in a new, very modern, 2br apartment in an outlying district for about $350. That same one in District 2/7 (where the expats live) goes for around $1200/mo. Of course, you get a swimming pool and gym for that price, (wowww).
I bought a farm, through my GF as foreigners can't buy farmland, and live on less than $1200 a month. But I live i an old primitive, traditional wood house in the Central Highlands where the temps are absolutely fabulous.

The main cities along the coast will be hot and humid. How much that affects your comfort level will depend on where you are coming from. I lived in South Florida for 13 years before coming here so the Temps didn't bother me much, until now as I get older.

-@doctorhands

Bachelor of science is minimum degree for teaching English? Not possible with associate degree?

You may want to consider a cheaper part if the US if your only reason to come to SE Asia is because it is cheap. It takes some doing to actually live here.
-@SteinNebraska

Where are the cheaper places in US? Arizona, Nevada  mountains and  outside  big cities?

@Aidan in HCMC Half correct - Thailand does not have a "Retirement Visa" per se, it is an 'Extension based on Retirement'. You must enter on a valid 90 day Visa and if at the age limit (55 years old?) you can apply for the one-year extension based on retirement.  It can be renewed every year as long as you are qualified.

@sfowler2760

GF business.

-@doctorhands
1. Bachelor of science is minimum degree for teaching English? 2. Not possible with associate degree?
-@narcrepellant2525

1. Yes

2. No, except for the rare cases when you can convince the government through official paperwork that you have enough experience to meet their requirements.

it's a very tough process and very few ever do it and succeed.

You may want to consider a cheaper part if the US if your only reason to come to SE Asia is because it is cheap. It takes some doing to actually live here.
-@SteinNebraska

Where are the cheaper places in US? Arizona, Nevada mountains and outside big cities?
-@narcrepellant2525

Mississippi.

Some places in Nebraska.

Rural areas of most midwestern states

Excuse me boys, what is transitioning? Reading the post, should be "moving". But "transitioning"? Very complicated and high level, but in my opinion useless word when there is "higher level" word like "relocation".

Nothing personal, just my opinion.   

Excuse me boys, what is transitioning? Reading the post, should be "moving". But "transitioning"? Very complicated and high level, but in my opinion useless word when there is "higher level" word like "relocation".
-@ruzuba1500

Its WOKE talk

-@ruzuba1500
Its WOKE talk
-@goodolboy

It's a lot to unpack if you are not a millenial.

-@ruzuba1500

in fairness you are talking about a change of location.

The op is emphasizing that (in his mind) he will be essentially converting into a different person.

I agree it's a little much but he got your attention, which seems to be what he was really wanting to do.

@Aidan in HCMC Half correct - Thailand does not have a "Retirement Visa" per se, it is an 'Extension based on Retirement'. You must enter on a valid 90 day Visa and if at the age limit (55 years old?) you can apply for the one-year extension based on retirement. It can be renewed every year as long as you are qualified.
-@tunnelrat69

Yes, thank you for that.

Bachelor of science is minimum degree for teaching English? Not possible with associate degree?
-@narcrepellant2525

A bachelor's degree, in any field. Does not have to be a BSc.

A Bachelor of Arts (BA) is acceptable.

...and now they are clamping down on marriages of over 20yrs difference in age...                                                                                                                                                                          -@doctorhands

-@gobot

-@Aidan in HCMC

I'm still wondering about the source for that.

Excuse me boys...
-@ruzuba1500

Now then, who you callin'  "boy"!?

:)

...and now they are clamping down on marriages of over 20yrs difference in age...                                                                                     -@doctorhands

-@gobot

-@Aidan in HCMC

I'm still wondering about the source for that.
-@Aidan in HCMC

Who is 'they' ? ? ?

MAc

-@SteinNebraska

Where are the cheaper places in US? Arizona, Nevada mountains and outside big cities?
-@narcrepellant2525

Mississippi.

Some places in Nebraska.

Rural areas of most midwestern states
-@OceanBeach92107

Well,

Take Me Home, Country Roads

Lyrics:

Almost heaven, West Virginia

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River

Life is old there, older than the trees

Younger than the mountains, growin' like a breeze

Country roads, take me home

To the place I belong

West Virginia, mountain mama

Take me home, country roads

All my memories gather 'round her

Miner's lady, stranger to blue water

Dark and dusty, painted on the sky

Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye

To the place I belong

I hear her voice in the mornin' hour, she calls me

The radio reminds me of my home far away

Drivin' down the road, I get a feelin'

That I should've been home yesterday, yesterday

To the place I belong

To the place I belong

Take me home, (down) country roads

Take me home, (down) country roads

Source: LyricFind

Songwriters: Bill Danoff / John Denver / Taffy Nivert Danoff

Take Me Home, Country Roads lyrics © Chikili Tubbie Records, Roba Music Verlag GMBH, Spirit Music Group, Universal Music Publishing Group

MAc

Excuse me boys...
-@ruzuba1500

Now then, who you callin' "boy"!?

smile.png
-@Aidan in HCMC

well, sounds better than "old boys". Or?

Excuse me boys...
-@ruzuba1500

Now then, who you callin' "boy"!?

smile.png
-@Aidan in HCMC
well, sounds better than "old boys". Or?
-@ruzuba1500

Hey, it's a perfectly fine pronoun by me, but we mustn't forget the lady expat.com members

(of which there are many)

;)

1f44d.svg

sorry girls.

@OceanBeach92107

Historically rich country, Vietnam is nowadays a top destination for expatriation in Asia. The country attracts both foreign professionals and retirees in large numbers.

It is not. Just read above.

@OceanBeach92107

Historically rich country, Vietnam is nowadays a top destination for expatriation in Asia. The country attracts both foreign professionals and retirees in large numbers.

Not true. It is not a rich country and retirees are not welcome. By the Government. Read below.

Probably the most pertinent "hard fact" currently will limit you to 30 day eVisas for tourists which cannot be extended in country, requiring a border run every 30 days, UNLESS you manage the difficult process of getting legally employed OR get married to a Vietnamese citizen OR invest at least $130,000.00 USD for a multi-year Temporary Residence Card or invest about $26,000.00 USD in a legal business startup for a 1 year business visa (requires hiring a lawyer in Vietnam in most cases).

I'm guessing you will enjoy your retirement in Thailand, unless current visa restrictions change in Vietnam.

Good Luck!

@OceanBeach92107

It is not. Just read above.
-@MartinLe

Before you start instructing me, please take a course in how to quote on this forum. I did not write the thing that you quoted. So I don't need you to explain anything to me.

Hello MartinLe,

You should use the '' button to quote for anything that you would like1f609.svg

If you have any difficulties, do tell me I'll help you out.

Yoginee

Expat.com team