Marriage/Divorce

We was married in Tunisia in 2012. 2014 he came here from Tunisia I am American. In 2018 he walked out and left me. Wanted to have sex with other women and stated I would not listen to him or do what he told me to do as a slave. We divorced here in America. Since we married in Tunisia are we divorced there? I was never served any papers or anything from there or agreed on the divorce. All of a sudden he just remarried in Tunisia I believe to a Tunisian person so does he have two wives?
Hello Sally,

Hope you are doing well! Sorry that you've been through quite a lot.

Till members shed the light on your query, perhaps you could contact the Tunisian Embassy for official info : https://www.tunisianembassy.org/

Regards,
Bhavna
@Sally Touihri

Hello Sally.

You don't have to divorce in the country you were married or living in.

You mentioned you were divorced in America therefore your ex spouse is free to marry whoever/wherever.

It's quite common for a Tunisian National to marry a western women migrate, accumulate status and wealth and then return to Tunisia to marry his younger Tunisian bride.

It's called BIZNESS and many will devote years playing this out whilst building his future to return.
In some cases the whole family are in on it too.

If you go on Tunisia love rats thousand upon thousands of women been stung also google the above ‘BIZNESS'

Sorry to put it so bluntly.

@Sally Touihri
[moderated: As we are on the English speaking forum, we invite you to post in English only please so that everyone can understand and participate.]

@Sally Touihri

Hello, I don't know American laws, but you can ask for *exequatur*

Here is a link (in French) for information that could help you, if not explain:

Moderated by Vero last year
Reason : As we are on the English speaking forum, we invite you to post in English only please so that everyone can understand and participate.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Sally Touihri   Hi I am really sorry to hear this news sounds like you have had a horrible time. I hope all Tunisian men are not like this as I ma due to marry my Tunisian partner this September. I was hoping to ask for your advice.  Did you have to book an appointment at the Tunis Embassy to take your paperwork before you got married and did you need an appointment or did you just go there ?

@Sally Touihri hey sally.it's impossible in Tunisia to be married to more than one woman.polygamy are illigal in the tunisian legislation

Is anyone struggling with divorce proceeding .If so let me know if you need any help and I can point you in the right direction I have finally received my translated divorce papers waaahhhhoooo!

@laurasprout9 Hello, I would really love to get your insights, I am lost and I can't get my divorce, it has been rejected 3 times in the US. I am an American married to a Tunisian.

@Anonymous User2023 Hi lovely.i can understand your frustration.did you marry in tunisia or the USA

in Tunisia

@Anonymous User2023 you need to try and do it in tunisia .donyiu know if your ex has filed withOut you knowing?