Menu
Expat.com

Working with competitor Saudi Labor Law

Last activity 30 November 2023 by Usama121

tddasan
I am going on a final exit from my current company after my resignation and serving the contract notice period. I have a valid authorized contract that stipulates I cannot work with the competitor in KSA for a period of 24 months after contract termination.

My current employer has a CR activity for services of mechanical products and the company I am going to join is having a CR activity for manufacturing components.

Legally, they are not competitors, but their customers are the same. How did the labor court decide that I am working with the competitor if my previous employer filed a case in the labor court once I am back on a new visa? Any guidelines or advice on the subject matter will be highly appreciated.

Thank in advance
XTang
They will not just look at the activity but at all aspects.    It is difficult to predict the outcome for someone here who doesn't know both the businesses you are talking about.

To be on the safe side, change your phone number, stay off social media (linkedin etc) and don't be in contact with the previous company at all to manage risk.   For total peace of mind, don't take final exit, ask for a transfer.
OFW Riyadh
If your previous company found out that you are working with competitors, they can complain.  Avoid contacting your previous colleague and do not tell them where you work.
syedloud

Hello everyone, Recently I came on a final exit to India FROM KSA, now I have got a offer from a competitor who is not registered in KSA by He has is sister company registered, who is no where connected to my ex-employer business, legally not competitor,

Now my current employer is issuing me a Visa under his sister concern,

Also I have signed a document printed in our office letter head saying that I will not work with any competitors.

Once I m back with New Visa will be any problem for me from my ex-employer. Please advise

XTang

Read the previous response. No one sitting here has access to the CRs of your new employer's parent or sister company. The activities listed on each CR are important as they will determine how much of an overlap there is, vis-à-vis competition. Highlight to your new employers and let them get a legal view.

And on top, you can be on whatever company's visa but if it can be proven that you are physically carrying out activities in breach of your non-compete through the support of your new employer.........it can still lead to trouble........for both you and the employer.

Usama121

If i transfer on expired iqama to a company which was not a competition but now they start a new division similar to some of  old company activities can the put article 83 on me and stop me from working.

I have case against previous employer for pending salaries as well and I won it.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Riyadh

• Working in Riyadh
    Working in Riyadh

As the capital city of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh is one of the biggest urban communities in the country and is home to ...

• Jobs in the  Middle East
    Jobs in the Middle East

Very nice source of job announcements across the Middle East and north Africa, with some additional coverage of ...

• Riyadh's labour market
    Riyadh's labour market

Working in Riyadh can come with many benefits, whether you are a young professional or an expert in your field. As ...

• Understanding the work environment in Riyadh
    Understanding the work environment in Riyadh

At the point when oil exports started in the late 1930s, the regressive desert state experienced an abrupt rise ...

• Starting a business in Saudi Arabia
    Starting a business in Saudi Arabia

With Saudi businesses increasing by 16 percent in the final quarter of 2023 and a 23% increase in commercial ...

• Working in Saudi Arabia
    Working in Saudi Arabia

Finding a job in Saudi Arabia is mostly done before entering the country. Employment visas are still the most ...

• Internships in Saudi Arabia
    Internships in Saudi Arabia

Performing an internship in Saudi Arabia can be an interesting and enriching experience for young professionals. ...

• Saudization: What it means
    Saudization: What it means

When reading about looking for work in Saudi Arabia, you will probably come across the term ...

All of Riyadh's guide articles