Menu
Expat.com

PayPal Setup

Last activity 21 August 2022 by HillbillyPhilippines

onefogarty
Hello!
Does anyone know how I can setup a PayPal account in the Philippines using my North American credit card?
I only have a Philippines phone number and not a NA number to receive SMS messages on. Has anyone solved this problem before that can help me out? Thank you 😊
Cheryl
Hello onfogarty,

Maybe this exact topic was discussed before. You can browse the Philippines forum to check.

Feel free to use the search bar at the top right. 1f609.svg

Best of luck,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
Moon Dog

@onefogarty I've been through it and it involved calling PayPal. They told me I had to create a new account since my US account would no longer be valid. I created an account with a Philippine address and phone number and my US credit and debit cards still work. My old account was supposed to be canceled. The new Philippine account stopped working 3 times so far. Each time they said the reason was I had 2 accounts. I said the old account was supposed to be canceled. They said it wasn't but they would cancel it. It has been canceled 3 times now and the last time I was able to do it by message and didn't have to call. Be sure to record the person's name and time that your old account was canceled. I really don't use PayPal but I use Xoom to load my phones and they are the same company now.

Enzyte Bob
Paypal has been mention many times. . . .not in a positive light.
Lotus Eater
- @Enzyte Bob

I have a Paypal account but very rarely use it if only because , at least here in the UK, you lose the credit card protection under the  UK 1974 Consumer Credit Act. If any supplier does not deliver the goods or services as described the credit card company is liable. Period. The Paypal route negates this protection
onefogarty

@onefogarty I've been through it and it involved calling PayPal. They told me I had to create a new account since my US account would no longer be valid. I created an account with a Philippine address and phone number and my US credit and debit cards still work. My old account was supposed to be canceled. The new Philippine account stopped working 3 times so far. Each time they said the reason was I had 2 accounts. I said the old account was supposed to be canceled. They said it wasn't but they would cancel it. It has been canceled 3 times now and the last time I was able to do it by message and didn't have to call. Be sure to record the person's name and time that your old account was canceled. I really don't use PayPal but I use Xoom to load my phones and they are the same company now.

- @Moon Dog

This is helpful thank you
Bhavna
Hello everyone,

Please note that I have removed some posts from this thread (off-topic)

Regards,
Bhavna
tpiro
@onefogarty
1st. you will need a US number, get this from Google Voice.. it's free..  then pick a number using your old state/area code (you will now use this new US number for your PayPal account/transactions)
2nd. you will need to download Express VPN and install, (this tells US PayPal system that you are ordering from the US..  (more secure).. use your new US number

3rd. you will need your previous US address for your PayPal account.. needs to match your CC address for billing and such.
...that should do it.

You're off and running with a PayPal account but please keep in mind... the cost for shipping.
Hope this helps, Tony

Moon Dog
@onefogarty  You're welcome.

I do remember when I started using the new PP account it asked me if I'm using a Philippine bank or US bank so I selected my US back. Maybe there was some kind of typical verification process like a small deposit by PP?  It is good to set up the face recognition and use your phone for transactions.

I use Wells Fargo for banking and WF does not allow a foreign address so when I moved to the Philippines I changed my billing address to my sister in law's address and that is where my mail is delivered also. My phone number for PP is my Philippine phone but for WF I have a US phone that my sister in law keeps for me and when I need phone verification for anything that requires a US phone my sister in law is easily reachable and relays the info to me. I've been here over a year now and I've spoken to WF reps on the phone several times. They have a collect number for overseas calls so it's free. My wife's credit card expired and they are sending a new one to our Philippine address free of charge. I just tell WF that I'm on a extended vacation and they are cool with that.
talamban

@Moon Dog I also use WF. When my Debit Cards expired, I had them send new ones to my daughter who sent to Consolidator in CA for Air Shipment to me. Had her hide it in a book, taped, plastic wrapped, then put in Ziplok bag. Takes about 4 weeks total time from WF sending card to when I receive it. Curious of how long it will take for you to receive your new card? Pls let me know. Only time I had something Mailed to me, it took six months.

onefogarty
- @Enzyte Bob

I have a Paypal account but very rarely use it if only because , at least here in the UK, you lose the credit card protection under the  UK 1974 Consumer Credit Act. If any supplier does not deliver the goods or services as described the credit card company is liable. Period. The Paypal route negates this protection
- @Lotus Eater

This is useful information too thank you
onefogarty

@Moon Dog I also use WF. When my Debit Cards expired, I had them send new ones to my daughter who sent to Consolidator in CA for Air Shipment to me. Had her hide it in a book, taped, plastic wrapped, then put in Ziplok bag. Takes about 4 weeks total time from WF sending card to when I receive it. Curious of how long it will take for you to receive your new card? Pls let me know. Only time I had something Mailed to me, it took six months.

- @talamban
Usually if I want something of importance mailed, I receive it within ten days through DHL tracking.

onefogarty

- @talamban
Usually if I want something of importance mailed, I receive it within ten days through DHL tracking.

- @onefogarty

Oh, and even when debit cards expire I can still do all my banking except using an atm and I don’t use them at ATMs anyway. I only use my BDO card at atms.
onefogarty
@onefogarty
1st. you will need a US number, get this from Google Voice.. it's free..  then pick a number using your old state/area code (you will now use this new US number for your PayPal account/transactions)
2nd. you will need to download Express VPN and install, (this tells US PayPal system that you are ordering from the US..  (more secure).. use your new US number

3rd. you will need your previous US address for your PayPal account.. needs to match your CC address for billing and such.
...that should do it.

You're off and running with a PayPal account but please keep in mind... the cost for shipping.
Hope this helps, Tony

- @tpiro

Thank you brother
onefogarty
- @Enzyte Bob

This is not a useful response.
Enzyte Bob

- @talamban
The address for all my mail is to my re-mailer/consolidator  (US Global Mail). They email me when new mail arrives and also provides me with an image of the outside of the envelope.

When it comes to charge/debit cards when I'm anticipating  their arrival, I'm able to determine which mail contains the cards.

I let the cards remain in the their original envelope, unoppened and have them sent to me via a FedEx flat. I receive the cards in 4 to 5 days.

No need to have the cards sent to a family member, then re-wrap, hide, use books, plastic wrap and ziplock bags.

With your method you may not get the cards timely, then the bank might send a follow up letter because you haven't activate the card online.
Enzyte Bob
- @Enzyte Bob

- @onefogarty
onefogarty. . . .I really didn't want to mention all the disadvantages of Paypal, maybe you're not aware of them, if you do a search on this forum you will find useful information about Paypal. The main disadvantage is the cost of their services.
onefogarty
- @Enzyte Bob

- @onefogarty
onefogarty. . . .I really didn't want to mention all the disadvantages of Paypal, maybe you're not aware of them, if you do a search on this forum you will find useful information about Paypal. The main disadvantage is the cost of their services.
- @Enzyte Bob

Understand
talamban

@Enzyte Bob I just checked FedEx for Rates. They show a cost of over $100 for FedEx Envelope delivered to Talamban Cebu City in about six days from Mississippi where my cards wd arrive. Using my method, it cost me less than $20 and I lose a few days for USPS Priority Mail from Mississippi to my consolidator in California. No cost for my daughter to Hide my cards in a used paperback she doesn't want anymore. Bank allows me 60 days to activate the cards. Total Time from Bank sending cards to my receipt is less than 30 days. Maybe you use a method which is less expensive, but for me $100+ is expensive???

Enzyte Bob

@Enzyte Bob I just checked FedEx for Rates. They show a cost of over $100 for FedEx Envelope delivered to Talamban Cebu City in about six days from Mississippi where my cards wd arrive. Using my method, it cost me less than $20 and I lose a few days for USPS Priority Mail from Mississippi to my consolidator in California. No cost for my daughter to Hide my cards in a used paperback she doesn't want anymore. Bank allows me 60 days to activate the cards. Total Time from Bank sending cards to my receipt is less than 30 days. Maybe you use a method which is less expensive, but for me $100+ is expensive???

- @talamban

Yes . . . .$100 is expensive . . . .your method sounds like a winner.

Members of US Global Mail get discounts because of the huge volume US Global Mail does with FedEx* and other companies*, I prefer FedEx, you can also choose the USPS**. FedEx usually runs about me $50*** or so. If it ran me $100 I would also look for other methods.

Also me being a member of US Global Mail gives me an US Address in Houston Texas for my checking & savings accounts, charge cards, IRS, SS & Medicare mailing address.

*They will quote you FedEx rates and all the other companies too.

**USPS various type of services, I have no idea if there is a discount.

***I usually wait for the mail to build up and have all the accumulated mail sent at one time. If the mail is a charge or debit card I'll wait a few weeks encase any late mail arrives. Then I'll pull the trigger and have all the mail sent.  The occurrence of receiving cards is not that often.
onefogarty

- @talamban

Yes . . . .$100 is expensive . . . .your method sounds like a winner.

Members of US Global Mail get discounts because of the huge volume US Global Mail does with FedEx* and other companies*, I prefer FedEx, you can also choose the USPS**. FedEx usually runs about me $50*** or so. If it ran me $100 I would also look for other methods.

Also me being a member of US Global Mail gives me an US Address in Houston Texas for my checking & savings accounts, charge cards, IRS, SS & Medicare mailing address.

*They will quote you FedEx rates and all the other companies too.

**USPS various type of services, I have no idea if there is a discount.

***I usually wait for the mail to build up and have all the accumulated mail sent at one time. If the mail is a charge or debit card I'll wait a few weeks encase any late mail arrives. Then I'll pull the trigger and have all the mail sent.  The occurrence of receiving cards is not that often.
- @Enzyte Bob

Just use a virtual mailbox and have important mail scanned and emailed to you. Even when debit cards expire, at least in my situation, I can still get all my banking done.
Moon Dog

- @talamban

Wells Fargo sent a replacement card to our address on file which is my sister in law's house in Georgia. We could of had that card sent to us but why pay for shipping if Wells Fargo is welling to expedite a card on their dime? I called their toll free number and had the card they sent to Georgia voided and they are sending a replacement free of charge to our address in the Philippines. If the card doesn't make it, it's on them.
onefogarty

- @talamban

Wells Fargo sent a replacement card to our address on file which is my sister in law's house in Georgia. We could of had that card sent to us but why pay for shipping if Wells Fargo is welling to expedite a card on their dime? I called their toll free number and had the card they sent to Georgia voided and they are sending a replacement free of charge to our address in the Philippines. If the card doesn't make it, it's on them.
- @Moon Dog

I hope the card makes it but not likely if they didn’t ship it by way of special courier.
Enzyte Bob

Just use a virtual mailbox and have important mail scanned and emailed to you. Even when debit cards expire, at least in my situation, I can still get all my banking done.
- @onefogarty
US Global Mail is a virtual mailbox. You have the option of them opening and scanning your mail and emailing it to you. I believe the cost is $3.50 per page. US Global Mail does much more as it receives and forward packages to you from purchases made online. I also get  FREE scans of the outside of the envelopes and have the option of trashing it.

I don't feel comfortable letting a third party opening and viewing my mail, privacy and security are important to me.

You mentioned "Even when debit cards expire, at least in my situation, I can still get all my banking done".

I hope you would elaborate on that, it might be helpful for myself and others on the forum.
onefogarty

- @onefogarty
US Global Mail is a virtual mailbox. You have the option of them opening and scanning your mail and emailing it to you. I believe the cost is $3.50 per page. US Global Mail does much more as it receives and forward packages to you from purchases made online. I also get  FREE scans of the outside of the envelopes and have the option of trashing it.

I don't feel comfortable letting a third party opening and viewing my mail, privacy and security are important to me.

You mentioned "Even when debit cards expire, at least in my situation, I can still get all my banking done".

I hope you would elaborate on that, it might be helpful for myself and others on the forum.
- @Enzyte Bob

Understand.
When my debit cards from NA expire, I simply create online login usernames for my accounts and do all my online banking, bill payments, money transfers and so on.  I use world remit to transfer from my NA accounts to my Philippines accounts. So, no need for NA debit cards with non expired dates as expired debit cards still work for online banking and money transfers. At least that’s how my bank works.
Enzyte Bob
Understand.
When my debit cards from NA expire, I simply create online login usernames for my accounts and do all my online banking, bill payments, money transfers and so on.  I use world remit to transfer from my NA accounts to my Philippines accounts. So, no need for NA debit cards with non expired dates as expired debit cards still work for online banking and money transfers. At least that’s how my bank works.
- @onefogarty
It's been years since I've used my stateside debit card at an ATM or purchases in the Philippines. When coming to the Philippines prior to having a BDO account I used it for cash.

The only caveat is I would like the debit card in my possession, when it is mailed out it has to go somewhere.
talamban

@onefogarty You CAN do most of your Banking Online with just the info from the card including the Security Code. Nearly all of my Online Purchases are handled that way. But, if you want to use it when travelling, like for a hotel (unless prepaid) and you don't need to provide a Card for any extra incidental charges, or need for a restaurant or Dept store purchase, you still need Hard Plastic. I have also used my USA WF Card at the supermarket or Mercury Drugs when BDO Server was down and they could not access BDO for payment. I prefer to use Plastic instead of carrying large amounts of cash while travelling. I can always cancel the Cards quickly if they are stolen. Can't cancel any Cash theft. Also, don't know how you can access an ATM Machine without inserting a Card.

Enzyte Bob

@onefogarty You CAN do most of your Banking Online with just the info from the card including the Security Code. Nearly all of my Online Purchases are handled that way. But, if you want to use it when travelling, like for a hotel (unless prepaid) and you don't need to provide a Card for any extra incidental charges, or need for a restaurant or Dept store purchase, you still need Hard Plastic. I have also used my USA WF Card at the supermarket or Mercury Drugs when BDO Server was down and they could not access BDO for payment. I prefer to use Plastic instead of carrying large amounts of cash while travelling. I can always cancel the Cards quickly if they are stolen. Can't cancel any Cash theft. Also, don't know how you can access an ATM Machine without inserting a Card.

- @talamban

Your first sentence brings up a point when the bank issues a new debit card replacing an expired card, in order to validate the card online you have to provide the security code.

After opening a BDO bank account I discontinued the use of my American debit card. Debit cards offer little or no recourse if fraudulently used. Then I started to using my American credit card but the fees were significant when spending $400 at S&R. S&R's processor was charging a foreign transaction fee and my credit card company was charging 3%. So between both of them I was paying $20+ in fees.

So now I transfer larger amounts from the states to my BDO account and pay with the BDO debit card.
onefogarty
Understand.
- @onefogarty
It's been years since I've used my stateside debit card at an ATM or purchases in the Philippines. When coming to the Philippines prior to having a BDO account I used it for cash.

The only caveat is I would like the debit card in my possession, when it is mailed out it has to go somewhere.
- @Enzyte Bob

I hear you
tpiro

@Enzyte Bob Yes that will work with BDO.  I use a Charles Schwab card with reimbursed monthly fee which is nice and monthly transfers over to CS account from my main branch.. again, no fees.  Schwab is the way to go in my opinion.  I use their card everywhere I go in and around Cebu.

onefogarty

@Enzyte Bob Yes that will work with BDO.  I use a Charles Schwab card with reimbursed monthly fee which is nice and monthly transfers over to CS account from my main branch.. again, no fees.  Schwab is the way to go in my opinion.  I use their card everywhere I go in and around Cebu.

- @tpiro

CS is not available to Canadians but it sounds like a useful card
Enzyte Bob

- @tpiro

Hello Tony,

Some time back I applied for Charles Schwab online and they sent me several letters in the mail (my re-mailer). Then I wait for my mail to build up and have it FedEx'd to me, so it didn't arrive timely.

The letters asked me to call them, since the letters were several months old I didn't bother.

Before I pursue it any further, I have a question for you. When opening the Schwab account how do you transfer money to the account?
Or do you have your ss direct deposited?
FindlayMacD
I have tried many times to use both my BDO and BPI debit cards to make purchases online but I have yet to succeed. I have Santander UK Zero card (Santander Zero card has no currency exchange fees) and although I have lived in the Philippines for almost 8 years I have to continually return to my UK credit cards for online purchases. It seems to me that the Philippines has not yet joined the international banking system.
Enzyte Bob
I have tried many times to use both my BDO and BPI debit cards to make purchases online but I have yet to succeed. I have Santander UK Zero card (Santander Zero card has no currency exchange fees) and although I have lived in the Philippines for almost 8 years I have to continually return to my UK credit cards for online purchases. It seems to me that the Philippines has not yet joined the international banking system.
- @FindlayMacD
While your UK Zero card has no fee from your bank, when I used my US credit cards
the Philippine bank that handles the merchants transactions has charge me a fee up to 3%.

It's best to use credit cards for online purchases, in case your not satisfied with the product or out and out fraud. Some credit cards actually  increase the warranty / guarantee, sometimes double that of the manufacture.

With debit cards you have no recourse against fraudulent purchases or fraud on your bank account.

Protect your cash.

tpiro

@Enzyte Bob I have just recently changed over my DD from the bank I was using in CT over to Schwab... dump it in there each month is easier for me instead of dealing with those CT local chawbacon folks doing transfer from their bank to my Schwab.. hell they can't even get that right and both institutions are in the same country so I am not going to entertain them the thought of trying to send it to the Philippines.  Schwab folks are great.. no problems and they are active 24/7.. which I like being in Cebu when I need to call them... to answer your Q.. yea you can transfer from your bank to them.. no prob.  They CS..might even do abroad.. but I haven't ask them yet.

HillbillyPhilippines

@Moon Dog i used magicjack usa  number

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles