Pros and Cons of Retiring/Living in the Philippines

@Enzyte Bob Nice to know you can get hold of most of the food you were eating in the States but who does the cooking? Although I would also like to eat some western foods when I am in the Philippines, I do not really want to trouble anybody. I am not sure I would want my girlfriend to have to cook one meal for me and one for her and my daughter and any guests if there.

I should mention that I am capable of knocking up a decent meal also.

@Cherryann01 Yes Social Security is for Americans who qualify only.

- @Lat61
That rules me out then, coming from the UK.

I have also found that rather than bringing all the meals out together, there can be a gap, maybe up to 20 minutes from the first meal arriving at the table to the last. Not my idea of dining out.

Agreed. This is a real bugbear of mine in Filipino restaurants and very unprofessional. Any restaurant in the UK, and I think I can speak for most of Europe, that did that would soon be out of business.

But surely this is not a cultural thing. Isn't the great pleasure of eating a group activity with friends and family? If I am with my GF we will regularly share our apportioned plates to savour the different flavours.

Often the main course will be served before the starter is finished. In Asia my appetite is somewhat dulled because of the heat so if on my own a main course will suffice. If the dish is tardy arriving then I'm happy just sipping a San Miguel and watching the world go by - it can be alot of fun watching other diners inter actions.

Perhaps the answer is to order dishes such as Paella that can be centrally served when in a group.
@Enzyte Bob Nice to know you can get hold of most of the food you were eating in the States but who does the cooking? Although I would also like to eat some western foods when I am in the Philippines, I do not really want to trouble anybody. I am not sure I would want my girlfriend to have to cook one meal for me and one for her and my daughter and any guests if there.

I should mention that I am capable of knocking up a decent meal also.
- @Cherryann01
Well S&R and Lander's has a very limited supply of American Brands which are commonly available everywhere in the states.

Recently I paid through the nose having purchased many types of Black Licorice and three bottles of Trader Joe's Seafood Sauce, all sent to me through FedEx. I used the seafood sauce on shrimp cocktail, purchased raw and frozen, with the shell removed and deveined from S&R. That was my dinner tonight with a side dish of corn. Customs did opened one bottle of the Seafood Sauce, the delivery was held up for one day and FedEx charged me P500 for storage.

My wife does the cooking and slowly teaching the housekeeper. Two of my stepsons attended college majoring in culinary arts, one is a manager of a Japanese restaurant, the other is plastering walls.

The manager son makes the best Cheese Cake ever.

Now someone mention not wanting to eat rice three times a day. The rice meals my wife makes for me is just not rice. It's a bed of rice with various veggies toppings, with chicken livers, sometimes pork or chicken. The real secret is in the sauce.

While in Las Vegas my wife started a Filipino catering business. Aidas-Kitchen.com  . . . Her site is gone now, but I see somebody from Egypt has registered the name for a similar service.

There are four things kitchen-wise, when my wife and I are in the Phils, that are essential.

First thing is a meat-mincer. An ordinary cast-metal hand mincer, that attaches to the edge of a bench or table, with a winding handle. These old-fashioned kitchen utensils can make any meat, even old water buffulo / tamarraw into very tender and tasty mincemeat, ready for many thousands of different meat dishes.

The second item is a bench-top glass convection-fan oven. As ovens are practically unknown in Phils kitchens, these very handy ovens can cook / bake / roast a thousand different things from burgers to bread etc. Teamed with a microwave oven, and a normal stove-top, with these three items one can cook anything at all.

The third thing is bakers yeast. It takes just a few minutes to throw together any dough, with any of hundreds of different ingredients, leave to rise, and then bake it in the fan oven. One of life's pleasures is baked goods, and imho proper yeast (either fresh or dried) is truly god's gift to most human tummies.       

And, being the Phils then, my wife would say an absolutely essential fourth item is her ubiquitous rice-cooker.

Being pedantic I guess one should also mention a refrigerator / freezer and a normal kitchen sink can also be very handy 1f600.svg

Also, of course, a live-in chef would be nice but sans that, the first three would do me.
Must say if you were wondering,  our mincer we use for beef, pork and chicken.
We would also try lamb, if we found it, and maybe also some goat meat perhaps?

Minced meat is hard to buy in the Philippines, and when one can, even from supermarkets I must say I don't feel certain regarding exactly what's gone into it, and how fresh it may have been. And, all meats can be tough, and so, mincing your own freshly-bought meat at home is an ideal solution. It works well for us anyway!

Naturally when we find our lovely Aussie beef, we'll BBQ that with a beer or three.
Must say if you were wondering,  our mincer we use for beef, pork and chicken.
We would also try lamb, if we found it, and maybe also some goat meat perhaps?

Minced meat is hard to buy in the Philippines, and when one can, even from supermarkets I must say I don't feel certain regarding exactly what's gone into it, and how fresh it may have been. And, all meats can be tough, and so, mincing your own freshly-bought meat at home is an ideal solution. It works well for us anyway!

Naturally when we find our lovely Aussie beef, we'll BBQ that with a beer or three.
- @PalawOne

Lamb is one thing I was not expecting to find in the Philippines but I found it being served at a restaurant in Cagayan De Oro and also at the XYZ Hotel in Tacloban. I would maybe add a coffee machine and a good blender to the kitchen appliance list.
Lamb is one thing I was not expecting to find in the Philippines but I found it being served at a restaurant in Cagayan De Oro and also at the XYZ Hotel in Tacloban. I would maybe add a coffee machine and a good blender to the kitchen appliance list.  - @Cherryann01   
`
Ah .. thanks, well cooked lamb is delicious. And yes, regarding the coffee machine, we find our  aeropress wonderful. They're now quite popular. Simple, efficient, and make a beautiful brew ..

And would definitely agree Cherryann, a blender can certainly be quite useful.

PalawOne said. . . . . And yes, regarding the coffee machine, we find our  aeropress wonderful. They're now quite popular. Simple, efficient, and make a beautiful brew ..

With a household of five adults we use a Cuisinart 12 cup stainless electric percolator, we have two of them, one new in box. We also have three Kitchenaid mixers, two of them N.I.B. 5 1/2 & 6 quart. We also have the grinder attachments N.I.B.

My Sam's club charge card gives rebates on use. . . . and 5% on gasoline. So while in the states I purchased the Kitchenaid's when they went on sale with the rebates.

Also before coming to the Philippines we sent two complete sets of Corelle dinnerware, each set is service for four. When I got here a couldn't believe the price for Corelle dinnerware.

@Enzyte Bob I just have one of the Nescafe Dolce Gusto machines over here. A quick look on Lazada shows that the pods for them are more than twice the price over in the Philippines.

@Enzyte Bob dude, the only reason they open the products for you before you buy, is the Phils stores have the worst return policy I've experienced anywhere..that being stated, I haven't really shopped for stuff for home use in any other countries but the US and the Phils.  You might get a 7 day return policy, it depends on the store.  For instance, let's say you buy an induction hot plate, you better make sure it powers on before you leave the store.  My wife has taught me many, many things about shopping here.  One, is to be tolerant and I am finally getting there.  I've only been back here a little over a year, starting July 2021 and it's taken that long for me to adjust.  That being indicated, there are many, many things I like about here vs the US.  One is, most poor people here are usually thankful for what they have and they don't have much.  In the US, people on welfare drive nice cars have running water, bathtub, stove/oven/microwave internet cable amazing shopping centers and supermarkets and they still complain.  They need to come here and live for just two months, I think that's all it would take for them to understand poor.  I grew up, by US standard, extremely poor.  I remember times where my siblings and I went without eating for several days at a time.  We lived out of an old Studebaker station wagon and there were six of us counting my mother and father.  Of course, being children, we thought of it as like a camping adventure and it kinda was.  I remember living out of that Studebaker on the shore of the Columbia river outside of Kelso, WA.  We stayed there the whole summer!  Anyway, I digress, the point is that I thought I knew what poor was.  I didn't, not even close.  When my wife told me that many, many Filipino's still cook with wood and don't have like a real kitchen, I thought she was BS'ing me...nope!  Anyway nuff said.

@Cherryann01 So true..if you want' good customer service, I've learned that you must tip well and become a regular at the place.  One of my go to places in the local SM mall is a place called Chikaan.  The first couple of times I went there, I would order say 5 items and they would come back after about 5 to 10 mins and they would inform me that 4 of the items I ordered were not available..jeez!
The food I finally was able to get was delicious and not something I would have initially ordered, so the experience allowed me to expand my pallet to some Filipino cuisine (when given lemons).  But after I tipped a few times and came back, the waiters and waitress's would tell me what was and wasn't available at the beginning.  That being stated, I have also learned to ask them up front..what's available.  Shouldn't have to do that, but if it alleviates any stress for me then so be it!  I am a extremely stressed person, trying to change, but I've been this way for so long, it is indeed proving difficult.  I, however, will not give up the battle.  Later alligator!
Here's an angle that might underline Cherryann01's concerns about retiring to the Philippines, which just occurred to me to mention - from the point of view of a Filipina wife of "a foreigner".

Without going into it too much again, I've been coming and going from the Philippines for about 21 years, and would gladly live there. It's "my thing", and love the energy, projects, yada yada. I resided in Negros for a couple of years so know what everyday life is like. That said, with two young kids, we needed to earn a better income, so left and became an expat family, living in various other countries, now residing in Scotland.

I just spent a month in Cebu, Bantayan Island on vacation, while my wife (from the province) with our two teenagers, spent six weeks there, roaming around seeing their birthplace, friends and relatives, visiting malls and attractions, spending a sh*t load of money .

My wife's a sentimental, robust person BUT here's her slant...

Anne has absolutely no desire to go back to live in the Philippines (except for the mandatory weddings, funerals, etc.) under any circumstances, and dreads my retirement aspirations. Discussing it last night, she finds the cities polluted and traffic obstructively slow, restaurant food prices too high, relatives passive and needy, crowding invasive, provincial people undersocialized, the heat uncomfortable and the inefficiencies too frustrating  (her words). My how she has changed.

Now back in a rural village in Scotland, she's "home". For Anne it's orderly, clean and uncompetitive. She's returned to her busy, child-centric routine, simple employment, and can save money enough to buy basic essentials. Most reassuring is knowing if anyone gets sick there's state-funded health services, and government services. We occasionally meet friends for a meal, and can order something on the menu that's actually in stock, and don't have to pay for everyone else's meal or transport.

For Anne, the upgrade to Western life is such that she has absolutely no desire to go back to a place she finds overly uncomfortable and challenging. She doesn't want to be away from the children, now based in the UK. That said, such is her commitment to our marriage, my wife's reluctantly agreed to join me in Philippines, in the event I retire in about 5 years...but she doesn't really want to. We'll have to work that one out.

So gents, once you take your lady out of the Philippines...there may be no going back.
@whackerdog123 A good reply but the problem I have with tipping, is that I like to do it after I receive the good customer service and not before. So what you are saying is tip if you plan to return on a regular basis even if the service is bad, that way they improve their service knowing a tip will be coming their way.

I will take your advise though, I do tend to tip most times anyway unless the service is very poor. Also, I suspect that the waiter/waitress is not always told what is and is not on the menu.
@gsturdee
It was very interesting to read about what your wife thinks about returning to live in the Philippines if you do decide to move when you retire. I can see why she would want to stay in Scotland. It is beautiful up in the Borders and like you say with your two teenagers over here she may have a good argument to stay when the time comes for your conversation about returning to the Philippines. Some people knock the NHS but it is comforting to know that it is there and is completely free of charge when needed. Waiting times for operations may be high but it is free, unlike most other countries and that would be a big reason in my deciding my future. Sounds like your wife is even used to our great weather and that must have taken time. In the UK, she also does not need to worry about earthquakes, tropical storms or volcanoes. I myself prefer to have four distinctive seasons and it sounds to me like your wife does too.

My problem is that my girlfriend and daughter (2 years 6 months) are in the Philippines, in Mindanao and Mindanao is a problem for me also. I want to take my 19 year old English daughter over there, maybe next year, but I do not think I would take her to Mindanao. I may arrange for us to meet up in Cebu or Manila and do some Island hopping from there. If I did not have a girlfriend and daughter over there, no way would I even consider retiring over there. The question for me I guess is simple, will I end up doing the best thing for me or for the three of us. I guess that is why I am looking at all other options, including moving to a third (neutral country) if possible.

When the time comes for your retirement and your wife and yourself sit down to discuss your options, I really hope you both make the right choice. It would be nice if you could have the best of both worlds, spending time in each country, maybe building a small house over there and splitting your time between Scotland and the Philippines.
@Cherryann01

Thanks, appreciate your considered and encouraging comments. Like you, when the time comes we really need to weigh up what will be best, and try to avoid any absolute solutions, rather try to retain the best of both worlds. (If possible).

Looking forward to hearing where you eventually decide to retire.  Certainly it's been an informative conversation, and made me think. Agree with you that Mindanao might not be best place for an uninitiated 19 year old English girl to visit. Speaking from recent experience, she'll probably still get an inordinate amount of attention in Cebu. (Good luck Dad!)
Gsturdee writes: Thanks, appreciate your considered and encouraging comments. Like you, when the time comes we really need to weigh up what will be best, and try to avoid any absolute solutions, rather try to retain the best of both worlds. (If possible).  Looking forward to hearing where you eventually decide to retire.  Certainly it's been an informative conversation..   @gsturdee

And Cherryann01 writes: When the time comes for your retirement and your wife and yourself sit down to discuss your options, I really hope you both make the right choice. It would be nice if you could have the best of both worlds, spending time in each country, maybe building a small house over there and splitting your time between Scotland and the Philippines.  @Cherryann01
`
Thanks for these sensible, honest and thought-provoking discussions thus far dear gentle-folk.

Both of you look to be reaching, or perhaps have reached, the same conclusions as we now have.

And these are regarding where to spend our retirement years? In our partner's own Philippines, or in our own respective "home" countries, or maybe in some combination of the two? Or maybe even perhaps elsewhere?

For the time being, while we are both in good reliable health, we've solidly got our heads around our multi-home arrangement. And we are, and have been, planning things accordingly. Half-time in the Phils, half-time in Australia.

Living in two places will continue to be more expensive, of course, but it is most likely to bring us both the most contentment and enjoyment with life.

We are completely and absolutely devoted to each other, so that makes it a much easier decision. We don't really need anyone else, because we now don't have super-strong unbreakable family ties, beyond those with/to each other. Our lives are our own, to decide together. So, that does make these decisions as to where to live much easier.

However, having decided that, it probably won't be an absolutely equal time-share arrangement between these two countries. As Cherryann writes, age and medical matters will probably cause us both to spend more time in Australia as the years go by. Absolutely free medical-care and free in-home aged-care in Australia will be a factor.

So, it seems for us the big picture decisions regards our future living arrangements are fairly well determined by our combined external factors. We are both full citizens of both countries, so we can choose the best from each.

Tropic island peace, enjoyment and adventure in one place, and a safe and secured older-age in our other place.

We sincerely hope everyone here can find and gather / retain the necessary resources to make similar life-plans.

@PalawOne

It's great you have the option to live between two countries, and you seem to have the best of both worlds. Ultimately that would be my goal, but we're not there for some reasons mentioned above. Obviously that's a testament to some good planning and decision making on your behalf (probably long before you set foot in the Philippines).

Everyone comes to his/her own conclusions, and circumstances aren't always within our control, but key for me (like you) is to share the journey with a life mate.  Having that loyal "someone" alongside makes the little experiences along the way more meaningful, especially as we get older and less able. With the inevitable challenges and increased vulnerability that come with aging, we don't necessarily want to deal with those on our own. Access to good quality healthcare is a big one. Eventually we'll need more of it, and while it's not something we like to think about, if possible we should make provision for it.

Cheery subject! Anyway, in between medical appointments, I still believe we should live as optimally as we can, and enjoy the ride.
whackerdog123 commented . . . . . So true..if you want' good customer service, I've learned that you must tip well and become a regular at the place.  One of my go to places in the local SM mall is a place called Chikaan.  The first couple of times I went there, I would order say 5 items and they would come back after about 5 to 10 mins and they would inform me that 4 of the items I ordered were not available..jeez!

The food I finally was able to get was delicious and not something I would have initially ordered, so the experience allowed me to expand my pallet to some Filipino cuisine (when given lemons).  But after I tipped a few times and came back, the waiters and waitress's would tell me what was and wasn't available at the beginning.  That being stated, I have also learned to ask them up front..what's available.  Shouldn't have to do that, but if it alleviates any stress for me then so be it!  I am a extremely stressed person, trying to change, but I've been this way for so long, it is indeed proving difficult.  I, however, will not give up the battle.  Later alligator!

One thing I find interesting when you mentioned you would order 5 items and after 5 to 10 minutes they informed you that four of them were not available.

Myself I would be flying out the door and never returning.

You mentioned after you tipped a few times, that sounds like in the beginning you did not tip. Then after tipping upon your future return visits they would tell you what's not available at the beginning and you also asked up front what's available.

You are a very patient fellow, I myself would not take the trouble of returning, especially knowing their menu is hit or miss.

Side note: Many many years ago during my first marriage I decided to take my in laws out to dinner to celebrate something (I forgot what we were celebrating) that was important to them. My mother-in-law was Greek and living in Chicago their is an area known as Greek Town.

Way back when there was no internet, so I had to make my choice by reviewing Yellow Page ads. One really stuck out and the restaurant was called "The Parthenon", their display ad looked like someplace in Greece, a Parthenon with huge towering columns. So I made a reservation a week in advance.

Well when the day arrived driving through Greek Town I saw a large crowd outside of a restaurant but it was not "The Parthenon". Well we found  "The Parthenon", went inside and the place was empty . . . .a real bad sign. Well we ordered and my mother-in-law order a Greek Eggplant dish. Well after a few minutes we were informed they were out of eggplants. Thats like going to Jollibees and to find out they were out of chicken.

Then and there I knew that "The Parthenon" was a big mistake. I told the waiter we were leaving and offered to pay for the bread we have consumed, which they did not charge us for. We walked down the street where we saw the crowd. We went inside and had a very good meal, my mother-in-law was in heaven with her Eggplant dish.
age and medical matters will probably cause us both to spend more time in Australia as the years go by. Absolutely free medical-care and free in-home aged-care in Australia will be a factor. - @PalawOne
I agree about health care (but if it become something big but not urgent, possible to fly with, I can go to Sweden to do that)
BUT its BECAUSE of the clinical not nice to be old people caretaking homes in Sweden, when it will be time for that,, I hope to have  possibility to be full time in Phils :)  where old people are treated much nicer than the normal in "western" countries.   
@coach53 writes: I agree about health care, but .. I can go to Sweden to do that ... BUT its not nice to be old people in caretaking homes in Sweden, when it will be time for that, I hope to have  possibility to be full time in Phils :)  where old people are treated much nicer than the normal in "western" countries.  - @coach53

Yes, one can understand your point.

And doing research on this recently, it looks like it may be a good time to be getting in on planning for nursing home etc care in the Philippines. Just a few years ago it appeared to be almost a completely forgotten and overlooked service industry area for the Philippines.

But now "there are currently more than 64,000 foreign retirees living in the Philippines, and foreign nationals can readily obtain a retirement visa through the Special Residence Retiree's Visa (SRRV) program. The Philippines Retirement Authority (PRA) has started accepting and processing SRRVisa applications as of June 1st, 2021."

The visa, or something, does seem to be causing increased investment interest in the local retirement home / nursing home industry?

Hence, it might be a good time to look into any such accommodation plans for people who plan to live long-term and permanently in the Philipppines. Maybe get in on the ground floor? Have a look online. As I said not long ago there were just crickets when searching .. lately, there seems a multitude starting or planned.

Anyway, just a thought ..
@PalawOne  It's great you have the option to live between two countries, and you seem to have the best of both worlds ... Everyone comes to his/her own conclusions .. but key for me (like you) is to share the journey with a life mate.  Having that loyal "someone" alongside makes the little experiences along the way more meaningful.. Anyway, in between medical appointments, I still believe we should live as optimally as we can, and enjoy the ride. - @gsturdee
`
Yes, you are both so right and very kind mate. And working in the medical field yourself, you would know much more about such things than most. And, with your active life-style, and family supports, I'm sure you will out-live many of us here, for sure. Your always thoughtful nature is a blessing to everyone and surely especially yourself going forward mate. Please live optimally, and take care .. in fact, please live like your forum nickname Gsturdee.

@gsturdee My wife knows all that but yet she still misses it and wants to be there lol. Albeit she could now live in much better conditions. Maybe that's the angle, going back to live as you could have done.

@PalawOne Lucky you! Australia is a lot closer than the US. I dread having to fly 20hrs...

@PalawOne Lucky you! Australia is a lot closer than the US. I dread having to fly 20hrs...- @Filamretire

`
Yes, true. Oz is just 8 hours and 11 minutes, with Philippine Airlines direct flights.

It would make it more bearable.
Especially if you book night flights and soon as the seatbelt light goes out, quickly step up to the rear of the airplane, where there are usually a few empty middle rows of seats. Grab three seats across, raise the arm rests .. and so lie down and sleep all night. Can be quite a restful night's sleep 1f600.svg
@Filamretire

I guess they're all so different , and wouldn't it be boring otherwise ...hope you get all the visits you both need. 
And doing research on this recently, it looks like it may be a good time to be getting in on planning for nursing home etc care in the Philippines. Just a few years ago it appeared to be almost a completely forgotten and overlooked service industry area for the Philippines.
- @PalawOne
Some years ago a Fil-Am told he was involved in  plans starting a complex north of Bacolod aiming at foreign retired suiting from start of retire age in good shape to close to dead by having own doctors,  nurses and caretakers and such services could be chosed to be added when it become needed for each person.  But I did know him just slightly and have lost contact so I dont know what happened. I beleve NOT started by I know a nurse from Bacolod and she hadnt heared of it.
@Cherryann01

Thanks, appreciate your considered and encouraging comments. Like you, when the time comes we really need to weigh up what will be best, and try to avoid any absolute solutions, rather try to retain the best of both worlds. (If possible).

Looking forward to hearing where you eventually decide to retire.  Certainly it's been an informative conversation, and made me think. Agree with you that Mindanao might not be best place for an uninitiated 19 year old English girl to visit. Speaking from recent experience, she'll probably still get an inordinate amount of attention in Cebu. (Good luck Dad!)
- @gsturdee

I was thinking of buying my girlfriend and Filipino daughter tickets to Da Nang and meeting them there with my English daughter. That seemed to be a good idea until I read another post regarding Filipino women travelling outside the Philippines and the threat of trafficking. Da Nang seemed like a reasonable idea at the time, with nice beaches and plenty of places nearby to visit, like Hoi An and Hue. A lot more child friendly than HCMC or Hanoi, that is for sure.
Another thing to think about is the travel itself. It is no longer pleasant, or exciting, as it used to be. There are staffing shortages, deferred maintenance issues leading to delays, and Covid risks in the terminals. Air fares are way up. I am questioning the whole value proposition at this point.

I just flew back to the States and it was not pleasant, despite flying business class via upgrades. Despite being able to avail myself of the lounge at NAIA, when I eventually made my way to the gate for my PAL flight to Honolulu, all the gates were jam-packed, standing room only, half the people not wearing masks. The flight was delayed.. not unusual with PAL - Plane.Always.Late. It was hot, poorly ventilated, and there must have been 1000 people packed into in that part of the terminal - talk about a super spreader event.  We finally boarded, but the delays continued and some guy went nutso at one point because his meal was also delayed, lol. All told, we were on the plane 13 hours.

I spent my usual day in Honolulu relaxing, which is always pleasant, but the next day my Hawaiian AL flight to the west coast was also delayed with mechanical issues.. and another unruly passenger in the back.. which added to it while they got him settled down with an offer he couldn't refuse (disembarkation). This is the way it seems to go lately. Cancelled and completely full flights, higher airfares, mechanical or other delays, and packed terminals. Part of this is due to the US travel system being overloaded right now, but I don't see it improving anytime soon. Clearly I need to rethink my strategy and forget my meandering route - next time I will just book the 14 hour direct flight to and from LAX and pay the $4K for bus class. It is the only way to make it tolerable, in my opinion. But then again, flights are a lot shorter to Mexico or Latin America from here.. just sayin'...

@pnwcyclist I have been taking the San Francisco to Tokyo, Manila route... Much better than the Honolulu, Guam, Manila route...

Another thing to think about is the travel itself. It is no longer pleasant, or exciting, as it used to be. There are staffing shortages, deferred maintenance issues leading to delays, and Covid risks in the terminals. Air fares are way up. I am questioning the whole value proposition at this point.

I just flew back to the States and it was not pleasant, despite flying business class via upgrades. Despite being able to avail myself of the lounge at NAIA, when I eventually made my way to the gate for my PAL flight to Honolulu, all the gates were jam-packed, standing room only, half the people not wearing masks. The flight was delayed.. not unusual with PAL - Plane.Always.Late. It was hot, poorly ventilated, and there must have been 1000 people packed into in that part of the terminal - talk about a super spreader event.  We finally boarded, but the delays continued and some guy went nutso at one point because his meal was also delayed, lol. All told, we were on the plane 13 hours.

I spent my usual day in Honolulu relaxing, which is always pleasant, but the next day my Hawaiian AL flight to the west coast was also delayed with mechanical issues.. and another unruly passenger in the back.. which added to it while they got him settled down with an offer he couldn't refuse (disembarkation). This is the way it seems to go lately. Cancelled and completely full flights, higher airfares, mechanical or other delays, and packed terminals. Part of this is due to the US travel system being overloaded right now, but I don't see it improving anytime soon. Clearly I need to rethink my strategy and forget my meandering route - next time I will just book the 14 hour direct flight to and from LAX and pay the $4K for bus class. It is the only way to make it tolerable, in my opinion. But then again, flights are a lot shorter to Mexico or Latin America from here.. just sayin'...
- @pnwcyclist

Do not intend to return until October of  2023, hoping the airlines are more efficient by then.  We always take the 16 hour nonstop from JFK to Manila.  Always a delayed take off time , pushing back from a 12:45 AM take off.  Not looking forward to 17 hours in the plane.  Some have been rescheduled to stop in Vancouver, PAL saying it was to avoid Russian air space. BS,  It was to pick up more passengers .
My pros would be the low cost of living and the nice beaches and waterfalls among other things.

Cons would be mostly critters. House sparrows building nests in my rain gutter is a problem. I didn't know how I would have it cleaned since I needed at least an 8 meter ladder for the back of the house. A local coconut tree climber offered to do it and he brought a bamboo ladder that was long enough to get him on the roof from the 2nd floor terrace. He just worked his way around the roof and filled 2 rice sacks with bird nests. It took him 3 or 4 hours and I paid him P1,000 which made him very happy. I then set about building a repeating sparrow trap which I'm presenting fine tuning.

Cane toads were driving me crazy, toad poop was on the sidewalks and garage deck. My dog liked to chase them but the poison they secrete would make her sick if she picked them up. The solution was simple enough, I killed them all. I lost count at 60 something but there was some wholesale slaughter going on for a few days.

Every morning I have to skim the backswimmers out of the pool. I've read they are attracted to algae but the pool has never had visible algae. I brush or vacuum the pool daily, shock it regularly and use algaecide. I also regulate the chlorine level on the high side. Our property adjoins a cow pasture and an old caribou bull has wallowed out some large mud holes that contain green water. Maybe I just get the overflow from the cow pasture? My only solution is to skim them out and mash them each morning.

We have our share of house lizards (my wife calls them tiki). The main issue is the poop on the window sills and down the walls. I made a lizard trap out of a plastic soda bottle but only caught 2 lizards. I ordered a bunch of glue board type mouse traps and placed them on the window sills yesterday. I haven't caught a lizard yet with the glue board but this morning when I was drinking my coffee I felt something bumping my lips. I thought it was a lump of undissolved Bear Brand I sometimes put in my coffee but when I dipped it out with my spoon it was a house lizard, see photo. I have no idea how it got in there. I'm going to redouble my efforts to rid the house of those tiki varmints.

TRTv0W.jpg

@pnwcyclist  Consider Emirates via Dubai. Reasonable price for either  Economy or Biz. So far, cabin looks nearly empty. A few dollars more for Staycation in Dubai and no Tests required. I am leaving Cebu in October with a one week stay in Dubai. Then on to Houston. I like breaking up the trip into 7 Hour bites.

House sparrows building nests in my rain gutter is a problem.
- @Moon Dog
It can be solved by covering the rain gutters with net leting water but not birds through. Can reduse problem with leaves and such too.  I dont know if there are made for such available in Phils too, but can be made.

@pnwcyclist I have been taking the San Francisco to Tokyo, Manila route... Much better than the Honolulu, Guam, Manila route...

- @Wellsfry

Thanks, Wellsfry, and Talamban. When I used to live in the Pacific Northwest and fly out of Portland, I would fly Delta to Manila - via Tokyo. It was the old Northwest Orient route, which Delta picked up when they folded. I agree it is excellent and gives you that break mid-route.  Always fun to eat those Japanese treats at Narita airport. I once flew through Haneda also.

Now that I am living further south, in AZ, I pretty much have to go through LAX.. and that leaves the option of the direct flight which is really long (14-15 hrs), or going through Honolulu, which has been my preference since I love to relax for a day and have lunch at Tommy Bahamas. But at this point I'm done with that as each additional flight adds to the complications. I will either fly to LAX then take the direct flight to Cebu or try Talamban's idea of the Eastern route via Dubai. Never been there so.. intriguing, haha.

Thanks to both of you for the advice.
House sparrows building nests in my rain gutter is a problem.
- @Moon Dog
It can be solved by covering the rain gutters with net leting water but not birds through. Can reduse problem with leaves and such too.  I dont know if there are made for such available in Phils too, but can be made.
- @coach53

I've been trying to find someone who will do just that but an 8 or 9 meter ladder or scaffolding is required. The gutter on my workshop is already covered with course galvanized wire screen but it was easily accessible. Plan B is to kill all the house sparrows which would benefit the community sense they are an invasive and nuisance species. I'm going to trap the sparrows and clip one wing. The cats will have a field day.

SNIPS OF WHACKERDOG'S Post

<SNIP> is the Phils stores have the worst return policy I've experienced anywhere

<Another SNIP>  You might get a 7 day return policy, it depends on the store. 

I experienced the worst customer service yesterday. I don't know how I'm going to handle this, but this was my experience.

I made a purchase for cash and went home and found out it didn't work. So today, in less than 24 hours I went back to the same store and asked for a refund, the cashier said "NO" even though I had the receipt. So I asked if I could get a replacement instead, again she said "NO".

So I asked for the manager and explained to him and he replied straight to my face: "You're out of luck".

I will never buy a lottery ticket from them again.

- @pnwcyclist

Flying is just something I accept because I know that when I arrive it will be worth it. I absolutely hate flying and the whole experience of having to stand in a long line to check in, join another long line to go through security, while my trousers are falling down because I have had to take my belt off. Then another line to get on the plane and then hours of complete boredom sat inside a sardine can flying at 37,000 feet. I hate take off, hate turbulence, hate being up there and hate descending. The only bit I do not mind is the actual landing.

And why is it that on entering airports in the Philippines, I have to go through security, put my bags through the scanner and then at some point after checking in, I have to do it for a second time.

Also, I have read many, many times that one, one and a half hours is not really long enough when you have connecting flights, but still if you do a search for flights, say on Skyscanner, guess what, a one hour connection in Amsterdam or where ever. I do not think I have been on many flights that actually take off on time. Or maybe I am completely wrong about this and the airlines count departure time from when the plane is pushed back from the gate.

We all know there are staff shortages and are/were covid rules and checks to go through but do the airlines open the check in desks any earlier?, no the do not. So for me the whole airport experience is one I dread.

- @Wellsfry

Thanks, Wellsfry, and Talamban. When I used to live in the Pacific Northwest and fly out of Portland, I would fly Delta to Manila - via Tokyo. It was the old Northwest Orient route, which Delta picked up when they folded. I agree it is excellent and gives you that break mid-route.  Always fun to eat those Japanese treats at Narita airport. I once flew through Haneda also.

Now that I am living further south, in AZ, I pretty much have to go through LAX.. and that leaves the option of the direct flight which is really long (14-15 hrs), or going through Honolulu, which has been my preference since I love to relax for a day and have lunch at Tommy Bahamas. But at this point I'm done with that as each additional flight adds to the complications. I will either fly to LAX then take the direct flight to Cebu or try Talamban's idea of the Eastern route via Dubai. Never been there so.. intriguing, haha.

Thanks to both of you for the advice.
- @pnwcyclist

The Eastern route from Arizona will add considerably to the total flight time. I used to fly Emirates and like most of the ‘ Super Arabian Gulf ‘ carriers you won't be disappointed . In business class you will be pampered like a king . Often the Dubai - Manila leg is empty in business and more often than not you will have a Filipina to tuck you up in bed for the midnight special. Just don't tell your GF 
1f609.svg

@whackerdog123 where are you getting an apartment for $180/month?