Pros and Cons of Retiring/Living in the Philippines

@Franktexas I enjoyed visiting Chang Mai. But, to me the benefit of English Language, especially on street signs and building signs being far more prevalent in The Philippines is always what tips the scale for me.

@Moon Dog I agree about Huatulco. I spent a few months there actually renting in Tangolunda . Walking 3 minutes to the beach, a $3 taxi ride to La Crucecita and Santa Maria. 40 minutes in any direction could take you to any number of hidden beaches that only the locals know, remote restaurants or coffee plantations in the mountains. La Crucecita is a hidden gem town. Don't tell anyone it's there…..Shhhhhhhhhh…….

@Lotus Eater totally agree, my friend!! We'll stated. I have only one problem, the woman I love lives here and doesn't want to leave the family nesting grounds

@whackerdog123 in 9 yrs NEVER used a fixer ,my wife did all the buraucratics and as she is very patient it all worked out fine ,and as to get new ideas around it is the way these ideas are pressented that do the trick diplomatie go's a long way here .in sted of saying do it this way ,say i havee seen on you tube there is an other way of doing it and it looks great but i am not sure maybe if you look it up you can inproove your way of working and get more and better paying customers .

i asure this hint will be taken . as i say bfore diplomatie ,do not think you are smarter or superior but ceep in mind ppl can be so proud they get stuborn or even offended in the way some things are sayed . this comes from expieriance ,it took a wile before i realised were i went wrong and how to do it right .understanding a culture is very useful he

@dirk.c.

An astute observation Dirk. Yes it's often not what you say but the way you say it. My sense is that perhaps you were a Diplomat in a previous life ;)

My statement was in the wrong blog. Sorry just removed it.

@Lotus Eater 20yrs military and i was hated and feared becorse of always saying wath i was thinking hahahahahaha , but some (very few) highly apreciated it

My paternal grandmother was from De Panne. That's why I asked if you were Flemish or Walloon. I have fond memories of learning to ride a push bike on the boardwalk there and flying kites!

i lived in Oostende for 16 yrs and often we go to de Panne to go to the beach and to play hide and seek with the kids in the dunes there

@dirk.c.

We would take the boat from Dover to Oostende and one of my uncles would meet us for the drive to De Panne. We had a big family reunion in 2008. I have so many cousins there!

The Phillipines are beautiful, hot, sweaty, tropical with friendly natives. It is a nice place to visit for me knowing that I have a return ticket home to the good old United States of America. As messed up as things are over here right now, when it busts wide open, I want to be home.

Each to their own

when it busts wide open.

Oops...Did anyone else click on this topic expecting to find bulletpoints of actual pros and cons?

We all have free will...to live wherever and eat whatever. If they are forcing you to eat rice, then you better run to the nearest consulate or embassy.

We are in their country and should adjust to their way of living...not expect it to be the other way around.

Oops...Did anyone else click on this topic expecting to find bulletpoints of actual pros and cons?
We all have free will...to live wherever and eat whatever. If they are forcing you to eat rice, then you better run to the nearest consulate or embassy.

We are in their country and should adjust to their way of living...not expect it to be the other way around.

-@cjm_mgc

Perhaps you could bullet point your pros and cons from your experience living here.

The 130 odd posts on this thread to me are the crux of the topic based on members experiences good and bad, love our rice but we buy Basmati (choice) and no problems what we eat nor where we live, as you said free will and opinions no matter the country.

To me the pros and cons are in this thread based on members experience both good and bad but is really a small library of info shared and I certainly appreciate others views, opinions and experiences.

I have the odd whing but no different to my home country or those that I have visited, all have faults but we look to the better points and enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

Perhaps you could bullet point your pros and cons from your experience living here.
The 130 odd posts on this thread to me are the crux of the topic based on members experiences good and bad, love our rice but we buy Basmati (choice) and no problems what we eat nor where we live, as you said free will and opinions no matter the country.

To me the pros and cons are in this thread based on members experience both good and bad but is really a small library of info shared and I certainly appreciate others views, opinions and experiences.
I have the odd whing but no different to my home country or those that I have visited, all have faults but we look to the better points and enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

-@bigpearl

Yes...perhaps I could...if I really wanted to do so. I'm sure you've heard of the old saying, "you can't judge a book by its cover." I haven't read every book, watched every movie, or clicked on every thread. Maybe you have. For most of us, it is those clever titles (clickbait) that either pulls us in or keeps us out.

As far as the rice thing: If all the aisles of every filipino grocery store had rice and only rice, then that would be a con (unless rice is your favorite food). The good thing about grocery stores is their variety. It is possible to live a long fulfilling life in heart of Philippines without ever eating a grain of rice.

Advantages:

Low costs: The Philippines is a relatively low-cost country with prices, housing, and services relatively affordable, which allows a retirement or pension to extend further over the cost of living.

Beautiful natural environment: The Philippines has spectacular natural scenery, including beautiful beaches, coral reefs, jungles and mountains. These environments provide abundant opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts and are conducive to recreation and relaxation.

Friendly People: The Filipino people are generally considered friendly and welcoming, and friendly to foreigners. This friendly atmosphere can make foreign residents feel welcome.

Multiculturalism: The Philippines is rich in cultural diversity and various religions and traditions can be found here. This makes life in this country more diverse.

Prevalence of English: English is one of the official languages of the Philippines, so it is relatively easy to communicate with locals, which is an advantage for people for whom English is a second language.

Disadvantages:

Healthcare quality varies: The Philippines' healthcare system may be less developed in some areas than in other countries. This can be a problem for people who require a high level of medical care.

Traffic Issues: Traffic congestion and road conditions can be less than ideal, especially in urban areas. This can have a negative impact on quality of life.

Weather: Certain areas of the Philippines may be affected by typhoon season, which can cause natural disasters and safety issues.

Acculturation: Adjusting to new cultural and social habits may take time and effort, and may sometimes lead to feelings of loneliness or loss.

Visa issues: Regulations related to residence and retirement visas may be affected by policy changes and require ongoing updating.

In summary, living in the Philippines can be a financially attractive option, but individual experiences will vary based on personal needs and preferences. When considering moving or retiring, it is recommended to fully understand the local conditions, consult relevant experts, and weigh all the pros and cons to make an informed decision.

@Mark Newham

What a great and intelligent first post and I welcome you to this forum. The same can be said moving to any alien country with different norms and environment.

Hope you hang around and keep contributing.

Cheers, Steve.

I found that when I lived there for a total of 4 months. It was interesting in the beginning. at 7.It became annoying. and then I adopted and it became advantageous to have American.

Income. The money just goes so far. You save money compared to the time you would spend in the USA just in monthly overhead, more luxury than you would get for your dollar.

Then there are the sunsets, the food if your adventurous,  the beaches. The people can be very sincere. I was sorry I had to leave. I had finally slowed down the pace and was seeing more advantages than detractions.

It *does* take time to slow down. More than a year, I think -- at least for me.  Some things (litter, and the treatment of dogs, for example) may irritate forever.

I've driven almost every day (Toyota Super Grandia -- not small!) since I got here.  Only recently have I made peace with the pedicabs, carabao, hand tractors, and epileptics that all take to the "highway" the same time as me.

More than anything external, it is your own mental state that determines your success here.

Stef

Well said Stef.

I have been knocking around here for 13 years with my Filipino partner, living here full time near 5 years and has taken me at least those 5 years to learn to chill and smile/accept. Not so much the rubbish and dogs here as that's all good but the ineptitude at all levels here whether officials or our workers can be a trial.

The beauty is that this is my home now and settled, I could not go back to Australia though I considered it the first couple of years living here.

Cheers, Steve.

@Cherryann01 if your basing those three points of concern then your living in dream world. The Philippines is great place to retire end of story, retiring in the Philippines takes not only good amount of money but common sense in dealing with the government regardless if local or not.

Your not in Kansas anymore,  respect the host country and if you don't feel it's worth your time and energy and money don't come because the Philippines will survive with or without you. The filpin

@Cherryann01 if your wondering about another country to retire,  stay where you are especially with your poor attitude towards the Philippines its people. It's unfortunate that folks like you are lost in your own sauce and are not ready to explore the world.  Have a great retirement in own neck of woods.

@Hwydaddy spoke: Your not in Kansas anymore,  respect the host country and if you don't feel it's worth your time and energy and money don't come because the Philippines will survive with or without you. The filpin

What is the date of the cherryann post you are complaining about? My history on this thread goes back 11 months and nothing there so the post must be outdated by nearly a year, or more.

Report #1 Dan August 2022.

Still here though after the scathing review.

Cheers, Steve.

A Galoot in a 10 gallon is picking on Cherryann01. I find Cherryann01 one of the most honest posters on this forum.

True Bob but he as the OP of this topic came in hard and cynical without a decent word for the Philippines and even questions if the Philippines is the right place to retire, simmered a lot in 18 months as we do.

You are correct Cherry has been a great contributor over all, Perhaps simmered also.

Can be frustrating here but all countries have idiosyncrasies.

Cheers, Steve.

@Cherryann01 if your basing those three points of concern then your living in dream world. The Philippines is great place to retire end of story, retiring in the Philippines takes not only good amount of money but common sense in dealing with the government regardless if local or not. Your not in Kansas anymore,  respect the host country and if you don't feel it's worth your time and energy and money don't come because the Philippines will survive with or without you. The filpin        -@Hwydaddy

The Philippines is a great place to retire end of story - If that were the case for everyone, then there would not be so many people leaving to return home or finding another country after trying retirement there. Now for some it is a good place to retire and there are many members on this site that enjoy life over there but all I am doing is keeping my options open for the moment.

I have received some excellent responses to this post and I still have some years to make my decision and the main reason I am looking to retire abroad is the cost of living. The Philippines is an attractive proposition for many reasons including a cheaper cost of living, better visa options and the fact that English is widely spoken there. I have mellowed a lot since I posted this and am not so worried about some of the concerns I had at the beginning. I saw a you tube video with one of the bloggers who was talking to a couple of American Ex Pats and when I heard some of the things they were complaining about, it kinda put things in a clearer perspective for me.  One was moaning about opening a bank account and his paperwork being lost, so he had to start the process again which although may be a minor inconvenience, my thinking is more on the lines of just grin and bear it  because opening a bank account I will only need to do once. The same guy was also moaning about having to remove lettuce or something from his burger because the waitress told him they could not bring him a burger without all the ingredients listed. Again for me no big deal, just grin and bear it.

So to conclude I am mellowing and some of the things I listed on my original post, I am not so much bothered with now. Big Pearl's advice to newbies as always been boots on  the ground, come see and taste the flavours for 6 months or so before committing and that is what I would do if I feel the Philippines could be for me. I am also keeping my options open though and not discounting a few other countries - Vietnam and Da Nang in particular being one. One last thing - the relationship I mentioned with a lady in Mindanao is no more so I would be free to explore different locations now without maybe being tied down to living near her family home.

@Cherryann01 again I say it clearly, the Philippines is not for everyone especially if you have a negative overtone about the people and the government.  Unfortunately most

Americans and Europeans are spoiled individuals who come to the Philippines,  complaining about everything in sight lmao 🤣 if you are a  tight rear-end individual don't come to the Philippines stay in your own country end of story.

I would say that we are all spoiled to some extent in the west but like  I said I am just trying to figure out if retirement in the Philippines or maybe somewhere else is for me and am just trying to way up all the pros and cons. My perspective may change in the next 5 or 6 years before I have to make the final decision so I keep an open mind. I have enjoyed my 5 trips to the Philippines and like the people and nature so I will do my homework and see how I feel when the time comes.

Like I said before - I do think that having a comfortable retirement in my home country maybe will be difficult so considering other options seems to be a good idea.

You should seriously consider Malaysia. The world's best kept secret.

Fantastic healthcare, great banking services, Very affordable (especially if you come from foreign currencies such as the USD, Sterling, Euro, Singdollars etc).

We are a group of expats from the UK who have made Malaysia our retirement home. Great airport connections to just about everywhere. Give us a call if you would ever like to know more. Happy to answer any questions!

@nazzhw

Funny you should say that since I had a short 3 night stopover in KL on my way to the Philippines this time. I stayed in a district called Brickfields, just 2 stops from KL Sentral.

Indeed, Malaysia has a lot to offer. Cherryann have you ever been to Penang? It has an amazing blend of cultures, food, architecture, and nature close by. One of the great things about Malaysia besides those mentioned is the train service - you can take the train from KL north to Penang (and with connections on to Thailand), or south to Johor Bahru (and on to Singapore).

@pnwcyclist

Never been to Penang but I thank you and Nazz for the great info and I will hopefully be able to explore more of Malaysia in future.

@Cherryann01 @pnwcyclist

I must agree with pnwcyclist. Yes, many expat retirees in Penang! We visit Penang at least twice a year, great little getaway.

Brickfields is an old part of KL, known to locals as 'Little India'.  Most of us live in the suburbs. Not to worry, the roads connect you to just about anywhere and it is really convenient. Like most places, cars range from very affordable to eye-wateringly expensive. Petrol is subsidised by the Malaysian government.

The good thing is, Malaysia has 'developed country' facilities and amenities yet the ringgit (local currency) makes everything that much more affordable. A friend just had a head CT scan and it cost RM632.00 (about GBP106) in a private hospital... in a capital city! I know it costs upwards of GBP325 in a private hospital in London!

Supermarkets here are well stocked with good quality produce, some a little more expensive than the other supermarket but that is everywhere in the world. Eating out is often a pleasant experience.

Plenty of choices for school... and domestic help is affordable too.

However, I am not sure what the current requirements are for retiring here but nothing a little desk research cannot find out.

Good luck!

Malaysia Boleh!!

@nazzhw

So if you are enjoying the 'idyllic' life in Malaysia Nazzhw what attracts you to the Philippine forum?

@Lotus Eater

Because a friend, a Japanese expat, is considering retiring in the Philippines. As a favour to his dear wife, I am looking for the reasons why.

It is, as you say, an idyllic life in Malaysia. Thank you for highlighting that!  :)

@nazzhw

In which case should you not be posting pertinent questions regarding expat life in the Philippines rather than sounding like a mouthpiece for the Malaysian tourist authority?

@nazzhw

In which case should you not be posting pertinent questions regarding expat life in the Philippines rather than sounding like a mouthpiece for the Malaysian tourist authority?

-@Lotus Eater

Shall we contact the admins so that this forum gives an equal voice to idyllic Malaysia to change the name?

Perhaps "Plain Old Philippines-Idyllic Malaysia Forum".

nazzhw said. . . . It is, as you say, an idyllic life in Malaysia. Thank you for highlighting that!

As don't attempt suicide, survivors can receive a jail sentence.

Refrain from receiving oral sex, 20 years in jail and a whipping.