Menu
Expat.com

Translation devices

Last activity 28 August 2022 by Safepeter

billddavenport
I was thinking about buying a Pocket talk S. Anyone out there ever use one?
Do they work with Vietnamese?
THIGV
What can this device do that an iPhone or Android phone with the Google Translate app can not do?
Fred
What can this device do that an iPhone or Android phone with the Google Translate app can not do?
- @THIGV

Their ads claim camera translation- Google can't for Vietnamese
AndyHCMC
- @THIGV

Yep no need waste money and carry another gadget - although Google does make some hillerious translations some times.

OceanBeach92107
- @THIGV

- @Fred
Oh yes it can.

I use my android phone Google Translate app photo translation feature for tiếng Việt almost daily, although when that is my specific use I'm starting to use the Google Lens app more often.
OceanBeach92107
- @THIGV
Yep no need waste money and carry another gadget - although Google does make some hillerious translations some times.

- @Andybris2020
I'm in the habit of using the "reverse translate" feature quickly before I use the results.

that helps me catch the occasional weird translation before I use it

jayrozzetti23
- @THIGV

- @Fred
Oh yes it can.

I use my android phone Google Translate app photo translation feature for tiếng Việt almost daily, although when that is my specific use I'm starting to use the Google Lens app more often.
- @OceanBeach92107

Yes, that right, it can, although in my experience, the "Scan" function doesn't work very well because of the slight movement of your hand while holding the phone above/in front of the text.

I found that taking a photo of the text, then clicking on "Import" and choosing the photo for scanning provides good results.
OceanBeach92107
- @THIGV

- @Fred
Oh yes it can.

- @OceanBeach92107

Yes, that right, it can, although in my experience, the "Scan" function doesn't work very well because of the slight movement of your hand while holding the phone above/in front of the text.

I found that taking a photo of the text, then clicking on "Import" and choosing the photo for scanning provides good results.
- @johnross23
That's the way I do it too.

My Samsung S21 has a really great scan feature.
Aidan in HCMC

- @johnross23

I never even thought of that.
Thank you!
Aidan in HCMC

- @Andybris2020

Hilarious is right!
When I first arrived here, 2017, I needed a plunger for my sink. I typed "plunger" in Google Translate, and pointed at a toilet on display at the shop.
The shop owner looked befuddled, shocked, and amused all at the same time.
in Google, plunger translates to thợ lặn.

It wasn't until months later that I understood his reaction to me showing him thợ lặn whilst pointing at a toilet bowl.

In reverse translate, thợ lặn translates as, ............. diver.
Understandable I guess, as someone who "plunges" is of course a "plunger".
bwahahaha!

Aidan in HCMC
I wonder how long before they develop "Google Interpreter",
instead of "Google Translate"?
jayrozzetti23
- @Aidan in HCMC

Well, it can also translate speech already.

Click on "Conversation" at the bottom. Then, it says "Speak now" or click on the microphone icon to activate it. What you say is transcribed into the text box (to make sure it's what you want to say) and then translated and "spoken". Click on the speaker icon to make it repeat.

You have to speak slowly and clearly, and often need to repeat several times to get the correct sentence.
Aidan in HCMC
- @Aidan in HCMC

Well, it can also translate speech already.

Click on "Conversation" at the bottom. Then, it says "Speak now" or click on the microphone icon to activate it. What you say is transcribed into the text box (to make sure it's what you want to say) and then translated and "spoken". Click on the speaker icon to make it repeat.

You have to speak slowly and clearly, and often need to repeat several times to get the correct sentence.
- @johnross23

Thanks John. I'm familiar with that feature (and most others of Google Trans.).
But that is simply a "speech to text" program. It will give you a word for word translation, not the same as an interpretation.
Now that would be a huge benefit.

e.g. "Just in the nick of time" translates to gibberish when translated ("Chỉ trong nick của thời gian")
An interpretation program would produce "Vào thời điểm cuối cùng có thể"  ("At the last possible moment")

Brick23

e.g. "Just in the nick of time" translates to gibberish when translated ("Chỉ trong nick của thời gian")
An interpretation program would produce "Vào thời điểm cuối cùng có thể"  ("At the last possible moment")

- @Aidan in HCMC

Avoid idiom! 1f601.svg

Using Google Translate (or I suppose any software translator) is a bit of an art form, you get better at it the more often you get slapped in the face.

My Vietnamese is good enough now to catch the most egregious errors but like OB said, if I have time or if the consequences of error are non-trivial then I always re-translate it back into English and check it makes sense before boldly deploying it.

Aidan in HCMC

- @Aidan in HCMC

Avoid idiom! 1f601.svg

Using Google Translate (or I suppose any software translator) is a bit of an art form, you get better at it the more often you get slapped in the face.

My Vietnamese is good enough now to catch the most egregious errors but like OB said, if I have time or if the consequences of error are non-trivial then I always re-translate it back into English and check it makes sense before boldly deploying it.

- @Brick23

Agreed on the "art form" bit.
No idioms, or colloquialisms, that's for sure. That was a pretty pee-poor example I gave.

But, I've found that even when reverse translating, and the reverse (in English) is precisely what you intended to say, often it is still way off from the message intended. Oh well.

Still, can't wait for "Google Interpreter"

smile.png
OceanBeach92107
Back in 2019, I had lunch with a friend I met here in the forum, at a Korean BBQ buffet restaurant in Quy Nhơn.

I'd been there previously, having the buffet with Vietnamese friends.

However, neither one of us was hungry enough to get the buffet, so we decided to order something for tabletop grilling off of the menu.

No English at all (only tiếng Việt and Korean) so we did our best to translate it until we discovered something we liked.

I got some type of pork meat, and my friend ordered what we both believed to be "boneless chicken legs" (according to the Google Translate app).

I'm pretty sure the description was

chân gà rút xương

Google that and see what they served him...
OceanBeach92107
Back in 2019, I had lunch with a friend I met here in the forum, at a Korean BBQ buffet restaurant in Quy Nhơn.

However, neither one of us was hungry enough to get the buffet, so we decided to order something for tabletop grilling off of the menu.

No English at all (only tiếng Việt and Korean) so we did our best to translate it until we discovered something we liked.

I got some type of pork meat, and my friend ordered what we both believed to be "boneless chicken legs" (according to the Google Translate app).

chân gà rút xương

- @OceanBeach92107
screenshot_20220819-194828_chrome.jpg

Chicken feet! 😂😂😂
Aidan in HCMC
@OceanBeach92107
I LOVE chicken feet!
I'd be disappointed that they removed the bones smile.png

Aidan in HCMC
.yckkyu8f
OceanBeach92107
Also, if someone who is not a native English-speaking person is using the speech-to-text feature to send a message in English, that can also be problematic...

img_20220820_144008-01.jpeg
wits3
@OceanBeach92107

hmmm. i did not know either feature, partly because i am mainly usinng computer; but i must remember and try those features on my Samsung.

(doesn't fix the problems of the egregious translation errors by Google Translate though - just easier ways to get tehg errors :-) Reverse Translate is the only help there)
wits3
Subject: Translation Comments

Google Translate makes quite dangerous mistranslations. Translation errors are not a trivial thing! And lead to confusion at best, And dangerous and harmful misunderstandings or more at worse.

Translations, espec of tonal contextual languages like Vietnamese, are extremely problematic.

The INHERENT dangerous problem with any translation is that neither the person doing the translation, nor person receiving the problem, KNOWS that there are any errors.

Can you see the inherent problem?

Take a real world example. You are trying to discuss something with someone who only speaks 'tieng Viet'. Someone there purports to be able to translate your English into his tieng Viet.

How on earth do you know that what he says in tieng Viet is remotely like what you said???? YOU DON'T!

And how do you know what is translated back to you in tieng Anh (English) is remotely like what the Vietnamese person said??? YOU DON'T!

And in Vietnam, and possible other similar countries, many people say their English is good, when in fact you discover with use, it is bloody hopeless.

And, further, people will tell you someone else's English is good - but in fact, if they do not speak English, how would they actually know??? How would they know if their translations and English explanations were even close to correct?

Google Translate is particularly problematic! Often it can't even get single words right, let alone a paragraph or more.

Foe example, if I say "Is it close?", Google will (has!) translate that as "Is it closED?" when that is not even a direct translation!

And for far more egregious examples, Google will often take the word "not"  completely out of the translation. Have a think about what THAT does to the translation!

In other cases. Google will decide it doesn't need to include certain sentences or paras, and will just delete them altogether.

The only way to try to check/determine if the translation is roughly correct is to use the Reverse Translate function all the time. And, check particularly for the two problems above.

This way you will see what the translation actually roughly means compared to what you wrote.

Even this is problematic if you try to go back and forth.

You want to see 'funny'? Use Reverse Translate, and go back and forth between translate 3-4 times. The Reverse Translate meaning will change to something quite different to the original, even though you didn't change a word of your original text.

To correct translation errors using this tool, you go back to the English Reverse translation (not your original), and change selected words that have been badly translated, and try to use a word that is easier to translate, and roughly the correct desired meaning, and check again. Try to use words that are simple and unambiguous.

Please try
dict.laban.vn 
tatoeba.org/eng/sentences/search?query=%3Dwork&from=eng&to=vie&user=&orphans=no&unapproved=no&has_audio=&tags=&list=&native=&trans_filter=limit&trans_to=vie&trans_link=&trans_user=&trans_orphan=no&trans_unapproved=no&trans_has_audio=&sort_reverse=&page=2&sort=relevance
translate.systran.net/?lang=en
vdict.com/
translatedict.com/index.html#vi
dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english-vietnamese/computer
7esl.com/picture-dictionary/

none of this actually answers your question of course. :-)
but this Post was mainly to address Google Translate issues

PS i thought i had posted this draft 1-2 weeks ago, but it seems not.

OceanBeach92107
Subject: Translation Comments

Google Translate makes quite dangerous (SNIP)

- @wits3
A bit of hyperbole, methinks.

However, even if it is as you characterize it, we aren't addressing the necessity to learn from the translation mistakes.

For instance, one of the links you provided deals with the many uses of "work" (and works, worked, etc).

Instead of me saying that I get a bad translation when I ask, "Are you going to work?", I learn to make a query using different English words, while also keeping in mind quirks of the Vietnamese language.

So I might instead ask "You go job?" which translates "Bạn đi làm?" which reverse translates "You go to work?"

Hopefully, I'll remember that short phrase and morph it for other uses:

You go shop?

Bạn đi mua sắm?

(Reverse: You go shopping?)

You go Hanoi?

Bạn đi hà nội?

Google translate has actually taught me a lot about how I use the English language, and how my usage might not freely translate into another language.

I'd like to think that I'm a little less lazy in my use of terms and cliche phrases, thanks in part to the feedback I get (receive) from Google Translate.
Brick23

chân gà rút xương

- @OceanBeach92107

Haha yes Vietnamese doesn't distinguish particularly well between legs and feet anyway, and there is no such thing in Vietnam as boneless chicken. It seems to be prepared in all cases to deliver the maximum amount of bone and cartilage unto the diner. Vietnamese chickens are freaky looking critters though, maybe it's impossible to carve them in a saner fashion 1f602.svg
gobot
I have a translation device.
Nearly 100% accurate.
Expensive but there are side benefits.
OceanBeach92107
Nearly 100% accurate.
- @gobot
Doubles as a vibrator?
OceanBeach92107
Nearly 100% accurate.
- @gobot

Oh...

I get it (slow)

I think I've met your "device"...
Safepeter
I've  been using All language translator Klays-Development for some time now and have found it fast and accurate.
Why carry another device when there are good translators available on your Android.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles