Driving and Renting a car in Brazil

Does anyone know of any options for renting a car for the long term in Brazil (at least a month, maybe many months)? I could get a rental at the airport from US car rental agencies but that's very expensive.

Also I saw that a US license is valid for 6 months in Brazil. Does that mean if you leave and return to Brazil the 6 months resets or is it a total of  6 months for your whole life?
you can buy a new 160 cc motorbike for under $3,000 US.
I saw a family of five riding on one today.
If you dont have money, dont spend on things you dont really need.
@jasonlovesdogs
I always rent from Localiza. Convenient ride on their bus from the airport and rates are cheaper if you rent for a month or longer.

@jasonlovesdogs ,

No, the Drivers license does not reset, You are allowed only 180 days unless you are on a tourist visa and approved an extension. If you remain outside Brazil and return on another tourist visa you may drive on an approved license. It is recommended you obtain an international DL specific to Brazil. I went to AAA in the US and received this.
I would suggest you rent direct from the Brail car rentals, due to the insurance requirements. Localiza and others are available in cities and airports.
08/16/22 @jasonlovesdogs
I always rent from Localiza. Convenient ride on their bus from the airport and rates are cheaper if you rent for a month or longer.
- @sjpetzold

I've often wondered about renting from Localiza.  How do they handle insurance?
abthree, it offers 3 options of insurance. Basic, premium with semi roadside assistance, and premium which is all 3. Of course, there are fees. We have Brasil car insurance which gives us the basic option and is accepted by Localiza.
We only use it locally normally is our car is in the shop.
Localiza use to allow crossing into AR (not PY) for an extra insurance fee. They have ceased this option.
@Texanbrazil  thanks, Tex!  We've run the numbers, and concluded that for our current lifestyle, Uber is much more cost-effective than car ownership.  Still, there are times, like when we have a lot to carry or visitors to pick up from or drop off at the airport, that I think that renting a car may be a good idea. 

We expect that once my husband has his law degree and is working full time we're going to need a car, so I can see the end of our car-free days approaching.  But in the meantime, it's good to know more about that option ... and there's a Localiza office about two blocks from here.
Is it easy to get a Brazilian driver's license? My US license expired and I was thinking of just getting a Brazilian license.
08/22/22 Is it easy to get a Brazilian driver's license? My US license expired and I was thinking of just getting a Brazilian license.
- @sirc68

The expired license is likely to be an issue.  They generally require a current foreign one to issue a Brazilian one.  Check with DETRAN-RJ -- every state is a little different and they may be willing to accommodate you, especially if your license only expired recently.

If that's a hard "no", then your options will be to try with your expired license and a despachante -- quick if s/he can make it happen, but may be costly -- or go to a Driving School -- costly and time-consuming, but you'll get a license when you finish the course.
Is it easy to get a Brazilian driver's license? My US license expired and I was thinking of just getting a Brazilian license.
- @sirc68

Abthree is correct. Also, you may only use a foreign DL for 180 days therefore if you intend in remaining in Brazil you have no other option but to get a BR DL.
If you can renew your US license, I recommend doing so solely on if you return to the US and rent a car with a foreign DL you will find car insurance very expensive.
As to "being easy to get a BR DL", this depends on what you call easy!. You must speak Portuguese, pass the phycological and eye exams. The driving test would have been waived with a valid US license but since it has expired you may have to take the driving test.
I do not believe you will not be able to rent a car in Brasil on an expired license.
@abthree
You can add on insurance which I did once when I rented for 5 weeks. Needed it too, because someone hit the back of the car leaving a dent in the trunk and didnt stay around to claim credit. I will say that we had to spend two days of vacation trying to get the right police report to satisfy Localiza though.  On shorter trips, I use a credit card that has automatic insurance coverage. In my upcoming trip, I'll be renting from Alamo just to try them out.
@jasonlovesdogs

I always use Localiza. They have an app you can check out. Here's an example from my last rental in 2021. This was an 11 day rental. I always get there insurance. Also, I picked up the car in Rio and dropped it off in Vitoria. Never had any issues with them.

Reservation details

DAILY
TOTAL
11 x R$ 64.59    R$ 710.49

OPTIONS
Car Coverage: 11 x R$ 28.00    R$ 308.00

Liability Insurance Supplement: 11 x R$ 10.00    R$ 110.00

SERVICES
Return of the rental car between agencies    R$ 624.00
Rental fee    R$ 210.30
up to 10x from R$ 196.28   

Total estimate
R$ 1,962.79
@jasonlovesdogs

I always use Localiza. They have an app you can check out. Here's an example from my last rental in 2021. This was an 11 day rental. I always get there insurance. Also, I picked up the car in Rio and dropped it off in Vitoria. Never had any issues with them.

Reservation details

DAILY
TOTAL
11 x R$ 64.59    R$ 710.49

OPTIONS
Car Coverage: 11 x R$ 28.00    R$ 308.00

Liability Insurance Supplement: 11 x R$ 10.00    R$ 110.00

SERVICES
Return of the rental car between agencies    R$ 624.00
Rental fee    R$ 210.30
up to 10x from R$ 196.28   

Total estimate
R$ 1,962.79
- @bepmoht

Same here. My wife's car was in the shop. (catalytic  converter, R$ 3.800, yikes!) Used localize 3 days total R$ 390. Centro location is around 28.00 less per day than the airport location. Localiza came to the repair shop and picked her up also. The airport location only provides airport pickup and drop off

All the big ones like movida localiza and foco all have monthly rentals which will get you a compass or renegade for around 5-7k a month depending on season promos etc. A better long term option is a lease (called subscription in Br). A new compass for around 4-5k a month with insurance and maintenance included for 12-48 months. Looking for a company that can do this for a foreigner.

Does anyone know of any options for renting a car for the long term in Brazil (at least a month, maybe many months)? I could get a rental at the airport from US car rental agencies but that's very expensive.
Also I saw that a US license is valid for 6 months in Brazil. Does that mean if you leave and return to Brazil the 6 months resets or is it a total of 6 months for your whole life?
-@jasonlovesdogs

For the 6 month lapse, you would need to show your stamped passport along with the US License.  Since you might be carrying your passport at all times, in lleu of a CPF or RNE ID, then you are limited to a six month.

Having said that, the pullover to the curbside of the road here has all but  disappeared, at least in Sao Paulo. No shake downs anymore. You are rather caught by strategically placed trip cameras if you blow past a red light, or exceed speed limits.  Cops here are used to fight crime, and all the money on the side they could  is through bag money carriers. Which is perfectly acceptable. Their Law Enforcement paycheck is not commensurate with the risk they live under.

And you could be driving a clunker, more than likely, cops  won't bother to stop you for a busted tailight.   On occasion they set road blitzes  ( dragnets ) to snare bad criminals.  If you get pulled over, odds are, they might not be able to read through  your driver's license without your help. Without a blatant infraction, your predicament will represent them more trouble than they can handle. 

So drive cautiously, stay within speed limits, be observant of rules of the road.  And by the way, late nights drive through red lights are accepted here, for your own safety. They won't trigger cameras.  For you, it is a stop and go.

And do not, by any advice, buy a radar detector. you will be asking for undue  punishment, and unnecessary curbside pulls.   You ain't that wiser than Brazilians.   

Biggest issue you will have here is to handle the other drivers beyond your control. So drive defensively like Granny Elsie from Sacramento to the Supermarket. 

@jasonlovesdogs If you are not planning to do long rides. far away from your location or traveling the country, use Uber and Interstates buses. If you have an accident, dealing with the police and insurance companies will ruin your visit.

@saudade43

I have had two minor traffic accidents (both cases of people cutting me off and literally driving in to me). Was in rental car but to get insurance to pay would have required going to police station in Rio with other driver and wasting a few hours. Easier to just take the car to a quick body shop and have the  fix for less than 1k reals. Police means hours and hours of wasted time.

BTW completo is the expensive version of insurance (still have a deductible of a few thousand reals in most cases) I always get rentalcover.com instead but requires a police report so only worth it for big accidents or theft of car.

@saudade43 I agree! i purchased a new car for my wife, but we have a native driver. They are experienced in driving in Brazil and if the car needs attention on the road, flat tire, accident. They are first up.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg