How to become a nurse as a foreigner from non-EU

Hi,

I am a Student Nurse from South Korea and am planning to live in Netherlands from next year, after my graduation in March, 2023. I was wondering if I need any nursing experience in South Korea to become a nurse in Netherlands.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Your diploma will need to be accepted by the BIG register (link).

One important part of the process is that you will have to be able to speak Dutch at a very high level before they will accept your diploma.  There is a similar requirement across the EU, you will need to speak that country's language.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic

First of all, thank you so much for your reply

then it's not mandatory to have job experience in my home country?

I just don't want to have any job experience in South Korea, wanna move asap.

Hi again.

You're conflating 2 different things - Immigration requirements and professional qualifications, they are not linked.

Once you are registered on the BIG register, you can then work in one of the 12 healthcare professions you may be qualified in. Follow the link I sent you and go through the process, you will know at the end what actions you need to take to enable you to work as a Nurse in the Netherlands.

Previous relevant experience will be a key part of any employer's consideration they make of your application to work there, not only in nursing.

I know when my daughter did her nursing diploma in the UK a few years ago, she spent time during her training in many different healthcare sectors, and her CV reflected this when she moved on to work as a Nurse. You should consider that when you write your CV, its sole function is to get you an interview for a job, so you must provide information that is relevant. If you have no experience, then your CV should reflect your training and in which areas you were trained, there is no immigration requirement for you to have spent X amount of months/years in any job, it's a future employer issue.

So, speak to BIG, get your diploma and the Dutch language sorted out, and then you can apply for jobs and your visa. I suspect that will take you some time to achieve, working as a nurse in South Korea while you do this is not going to harm your chances.

I should add, they are very short of nurses in the Netherlands; as long as you go through the BIG process, you should have no problem finding a good job there.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team