Working in Moka - where to live for 3-month stay?

I will be moving to Mauritius temporarily from June-August for a job. I'm in my late-twenties and was hoping to live in an area with a lively atmosphere and within walking distance to the beach and restaurants/shops (so somewhere like Grand Baie or Flic en Flac). My office will be in Moka though, and since I will not have a car, I will be relying on public transportation (buses) to commute to and from work. I don't mind commuting a bit to work in order to live close to the beach/restaurants, but I also of course don't want to spend 2+ hours each way commuting.

What I'm wondering is: approximately how long would it take to commute to Moka, by bus, from either Flic en Flac OR Grand Baie during peak hours in the mornings and evenings on weekdays? For the Grand Baie option: when does the last bus from Port Louis (where I'd need to connect through) to Grand Baie leave in the evenings? I looked at a timetable on mauritius-buses.com] and it seems to say that the last express bus from Port Louis to Grand Baie leaves Port Louis at 5pm, which would be too early for me since I would need to first make it from Moka to Port Louis, and I wouldn't want to leave the office earlier than 5pm. But maybe this timetable on the website is wrong? since 5pm seems early for the last bus to be (and I read elsewhere that buses between major areas typically end around 8pm).

Any advice is much appreciated! Or any recommendations on alternative places to live if you think the commute isn't worth it. Thank you!

@GuestUser1996

Hi..before committing to a rental agreement,I would advise that you book an airbnb and have a feel of how itll be like...youll have the choice of a minimum of 3days rental or 1week and from there have an overview of what would work best for you.As for the traffic itll get hectic if youre gonna drive from fef to moka...traffic jam mostly unless you take the metro from quatre bornes to rosehill then another metro ride from rhill to reduit..

If you rent a scooter or car itll get way easier to move around without having to depend on public transport.

So far airbnb would be your best shot..value for money with listed amenities.

Good luck.

Hi,

Either way you will have to travel. May be it will be a bit more time consuming from Flic En Flac.

To avoid travelling that much, better take an apartment in Moka itself.

But if you really want the beach, then you take an accommodation in Grand-Bay or neighboring village and then travel to work.

Now to spend less time travelling, you can hire a car if you drive. it will be about 35 min per trip.

Please feel free to contact me if oyu have more questions :)

Regards,

Hans.