What housekeeping costs

I was reading an article from someone writing as a Yucatan expat expert. He said house keeping cost way over what I pay, so I wondered what do others pay, and how did you find your house keeper ?
I'm sure many coming to Mexico would like to know those answers.

Hi, in our case, the housekeeping is done for a 2 bedroom apartment, 1 bathroom, (total 86sq.m., front side walk, rear small patio (1.5m x 4m each), 2 closets with mirrors and 1 patio door.

This housekeeping is done once a week for 200 pesos and corresponds to 2 hours of work no break.

The cleaning lady is part of the owner's family. Don't forget to pay aguinaldo and vacation pay (400$ pesos each once a year) calculator exist on the following site http://salariominimo.com.mx/herramientas/ .

Buen dia a todos, GyC.

That is much more in line with my experience. The article was quoting  more than double that. Are you paying per hour or per room ?

It is a global amount for the apartment. Our neighbor has a one bedroom apartment total of about 75sq.m. and pays 200$ pesos.

GyC.

Get references from other gringos. 100 pesos and hour sounds like a fair amount tho I know some here try to pay less

Yeah , that is the way my house keeper charges . If I paid per room as the article suggested I would be paying at least $ 6 to 700 a week. That would be muy carro pronto.
Thanks for also providing a link.

As always Sparksmex, good advice

Hi again, just a few additional comments.

Like "sparksmex" said get references, but even then things can go wrong.
Provide you housekeeper the good quality tolls (water pale, broom, squeeje, mop, etc...) and products she uses for her own house.
Don't forget that Mexicans aren't rich, so don't leave money on tables nor in drawers. In our area this year, a refered housekeeper has stolen 5000$ pesos for a drawer in a house she was cleaning...but lucky, the gringo spoke to the owner, he spoke to the police and housekeeper she refunded part of the money stolen and did free housekeeping.

Adios, GyC.

Thanks Mexicogic,

You reminded me of something else, the family and friends of the housekeeper.

A friend of mine, who is Mexican had to let his housekeeper go, not because she was not honest, and reliable, but because sometimes she brought her daughter with her. It didn't take long to notice that her daughter was always there when things were taken.

My housekeeper sometimes brings her small son when school is out, but she puts him to work in the yard. She is a wonderful housekeeper who has a strong clientele . The owner of my house had her care for the house for years. She has sort of developed a role of an important person in  her community.  I trust her to take care of the house  when i travel. I know that is not a common thing.

I pay 250 pesos once a week which includes things like sewing on buttons and repairing seams.  I live outside of town so I figure that amount covers the added cab fair.  She was recommended by another expat, is honest, dependable and thorough.  Mybneighbor pays her girl 200 but that is 6 days or 1200 a week.

gudgrief wrote:

I pay 250 pesos once a week which includes things like sewing on buttons and repairing seams.  I live outside of town so I figure that amount covers the added cab fair.  She was recommended by another expat, is honest, dependable and thorough.  Mybneighbor pays her girl 200 but that is 6 days or 1200 a week.

Yes that's what I pay also. 
She helps with some of the yard work and she is very dependable and honest, so she is well worth that. I also give her a bonus around holidays, or something she wants, and  wants to pay me on time to get.   That's why  I bought her a sewing machine one year, and told her it was a Christmas bonus, then some pricier hand lotion I had given her a sample of that she really liked.

I'm not paying anyone $100 pesos a room.