Considering moving to Mexico from the UK.

Hi there,

Just putting a few feelers out to see what expats think on living in Mexico at this present time?
Do you regret the move?
How much has Covid impacted on life out there, is it really strict?  Are people being sensible etc?
Areas to consider?  We would like to life close to water, beach and live within reach of good shops but not near cities, is there anywhere people can suggest?
How easy it is to buy organic produce etc?
Healthcare pro's and cons?

Would love to hear about peoples experiences, good and bad!

Best wishes
Jane

jspencer wrote:

Hi there,

Just putting a few feelers out to see what expats think on living in Mexico at this present time?
Do you regret the move?
How much has Covid impacted on life out there, is it really strict?  Are people being sensible etc?
Areas to consider?  We would like to life close to water, beach and live within reach of good shops but not near cities, is there anywhere people can suggest?
How easy it is to buy organic produce etc?
Healthcare pro's and cons?

Would love to hear about peoples experiences, good and bad!

Best wishes
Jane

Welcome to expat Mexico, Jane,

If you are thinking about Mexico The first thing you should do is examine your expectations. I've been here since before the chaos. When I first came here there was a British real estate agent that introduce me to my house. She was here for two years and left basically because Mexico was not British enough for her. Some Americans leave for the same reason. Mexico is Mexico not everyones home somewhere else.
Mexico is pretty calm about the "pandemic". From what I have heard it is nothing like England. They are not testing everyone and they have a "how many are in the hospital" system to determine the risk. They color code places on a map. Yes people are wearing masks but  they do not stop people who are outside and if you forget your mask you will not be attacked or arrested . It's basically be sure you have a mask if you want to shop. No-one is putting on more than one mask and no-one is rigid about the "6 foot" idea. No one that I know of has reported their neighbor for not rigidly following the policies.
Most of the organic produce is grown here so there is no problem finding organic. I buy from the local farmers Market as well as recognized larger stores.  Most larger cities have Malls. Businesses have been damaged here but the big names survive. I have to put extra effort into finding the small traditional places where products can be obtained from them directly. Fairly simple if you have Mexican contacts and speak Spanish.
There are a number of beach areas which tend to be expensive. All of the know places continue. When you live here you become aware of others that are less tourist traveled.
So it's up to you Jane, think about it. If you need more information let us know.

I would like to move to MX but am a widow, alone, Now studying Spanish. I have been there before.
Can anyone suggest a nice place to live?  I have been to San Miguel D Allende, Ajijic, Guadalajara,
etc. 

I do like Colima-Comala-Manzanillo area and am looking for an expat group in that area if anyone knows some people?

I like to be in a place that is warm most of the year, not necessarily on the water.  But a good value.

JaneHawk1 wrote:

I would like to move to MX but am a widow, alone, Now studying Spanish. I have been there before.
Can anyone suggest a nice place to live?  I have been to San Miguel D Allende, Ajijic, Guadalajara,
etc. 

I do like Colima-Comala-Manzanillo area and am looking for an expat group in that area if anyone knows some people?

I like to be in a place that is warm most of the year, not necessarily on the water.  But a good value.

Welcome Jane Hawk

I would suggest you stay with what you know and feel comfortable with at least at first if you can afford it SMA may be a good initial fit and there are a lot of expats there .
Let us know if there are other questions you may have.

Buena suerte

Hi Jane, I've been living in Mexico about 11 years, originally from Liverpool/Bristol.
I lived roughly 5 years in playa del carmen near cancun and another 6 in Mexico city.
Trying to answer your questions, covid wise I think the majority of people have taken it very seriously and people around me dont even walk their dog in the park without wearing a mask. Of course there are always the odd few, but i came back to visit England recently and people are far more careful here than they were there.

Healthcare in the uk is awful and we have been brainwashed into thinking it's amazing..... controversial I know. Here you would have private healthcare, or at least you should, which depending on the obvious would cost in the region of 50 pound a month. Nice hospitals and no waiting.
Even if you dont want insurance and you want to visit a private doctor, it will cost about 12 pound for an appointment rather than waiting in line for the NHS equivalent.

I obviously havent travelled all of mexico but recommendations to look at to have the type of life you sound like you want would be....  maybe somewhere like Tulum, or if you want away from  any tourism whatsoever I would look into Oaxaca and Chiapas both beautiful and safe.

I have completely forgotten your other questions but feel free to contact me privately or otherwise if I can be of assistance.
Have a lovely day / night

thanks for your response. I have been in SMA a couple times.. Dont like it and dont want to live there
even though a number of expats in residence.

The prices are driven by the expats and its not affordable for me... and as we age, the walk uphill, if you are not lucky enough to live "on top" of the town, is downright dangerous because of the stones which make up the sidewalks.

Matty, How can I contact you privately?

Hi JaneHawk, I am staying in Huatulco, Santa Cruz, Oaxaca, near the calm clear beautiful bays in a hilly area but with nice walkways, not cobble stone. It is a quite, clean town with some expats but not swarming and many folk our age, retired. so not like some other beach "party" towns and not a surfing town. Come down for a visit and I will show you around.  More affordable than SMA and Ajiji.  Bienvenidas alice