Shopping in Puerto Plata

We're making our first trip to Puerto Plata next week. I know Jumbo and Sirena have stores there but are there other stores that have a good selection of housewares? We're looking for a vacuum cleaner, and it looks like all those two have online are car vacs and shop vacs. We are looking for an upright or canister style (to tackle all the freaking dog hair!).

We have a trip to SD planned in the next few weeks, but thought we'd knock off what we can in PP!

Other things we're looking for that we might be able to find in the area:

• Pet stores (beds, toys, not food)
  • Good grocery store (with hard-to-find items like brown sugar and steel-cut oats)

Also, we will be spending most of one day there with my parents who are arriving by cruise ship. Any recommendations for a restaurant where we can pretty much camp out for a chunk of the day would be appreciated! Both my parents have some mobility issues and are dealing with long-COVID symptoms, so we won't be walking around shops, strolling the beach, or touring museums! That day is all about visiting with them.

For vacuum cleaners, check out Plaza Lama.  They also have groceries and dollar-store stuff, as well as high-end appliances like LG and Samsung.  We went in just to look at appliances, but the rest of the store was well-stocked.  Sorry I can't say for sure about your oats or brown sugar, but the sugar has never been hard to find in either of the local Sosua supermarkets. 

I haven't seen any vacuums  in any of the stores here except shop vacs in PP , most of the time the woman throw a bucket 🪣 of water on the floors and use a mop ..🤣😂and the only dog toy's I've noticed were next to the dog food in Jumbo , or La Sirena….no beds for Fido …. no real pet stores here most dogs here I noticed sleep outside ….

There are a few restaurants down by what they call Central Park where you might find a cooler place to sit and chat , hav a drink but as far as a lounge area like in a hotel I can't think of one off hand unless your a guest …… oh I have seen brown sugar in both supermarkets….if they have it in stock

Denise, not sure what type of food you'll be looking for, or atmosphere, but we've eaten at La Tarrapa (sp?) a number of times and it's good. Italian, indoor and outdoor seating, near the east end of the Malecon and a few blocks up (very close to the baseball stadium). It will be a few miles from the port. Or, if you want something really casual/chill, right on the Malecon there is Big Lee's Beach Bar. They have great fish & chips, you're right on the water, plastic chairs/tables, low prices, mix of expats, tourists, and locals. Small menu with burgers, etc., but a great place to just sit and relax outside & enjoy the view. Very popular. I'm sure others in the area will have more options. 

@ddmcghee: me thinks you are due for a trip to Pricesmart...Santo Domingo...Based on google maps there is also one in Santiago  https://goo.gl/maps/JWrSjByqSwoJmirr6

If you have a car, La Catalina restaurant is located in the hills above Playa Dorada/ Palm Hills. Perhaps a 20 -30 minute drive from the port on good roads.

beautiful setting with a great ocean view and very good food, it also has an interesting display of classic cars, parrots and even a small zoo area. A great place to spend a chunk of time.

We too like Big Lee's on the malecón if you don't want to travel that far.

@ddmcghee: me thinks you are due for a trip to Pricesmart...Santo Domingo...Based on google maps there is also one in Santiago https://goo.gl/maps/JWrSjByqSwoJmirr6
-@DominicanadaMike

Yeah - we'll be headed to SD and PriceSmart again next month. That's a quarterly trip! Just trying to take advantage of the trip to PP and better options than we have in Las Terrenas.

Thanks for all the info! Big Lee's is on my list, but I'll check out the others too.

Las Terrenas does have a side eating area w/air conditioning but check their hours , I think there's one day their closed

Las Terrenas does have a side eating area w/air conditioning but check their hours , I think there's one day their closed
-@Tippj

Las Terrenas? Is that a restaurant in PP?

@ddmcghee

Te name of the restaurant is la Trappa it located 2 blocks north north of the courthouse

Take Rt 5 till you hit the courthouse and turn R on Ave Hermanas Mirabal  go 1-2 blocks turn L ……. Food is good , place is clean and yes they have a side room with AC which makes for a little more comfortable environment while eating especially in the afternoon …. If you google them you can call for there schedule .. I'm not sure but I do think their closed one day a week … you'll have to ck  it's a 5 min taxi ride from the port in the town  if that's the port your people are coming from …. I'm not Familiar w/any other restaurant with a/c , good luck bon appetite

@ddmcghee

That sounds very nice, enjoy!  I hope your parents are feeling good and they can slowly recover from long covid.  I am sure a nice trip like this will improve their spirits.

We ended up only shopping at Jumbo, but were able to get most of what we needed - still looking for big dog beds!

Big Lee's is where we ended up hanging out. We got there before they opened, but Lee was there doing the books and set us up with beers until the kitchen opened. The view was great, the breeze was phenomenal, the fish and chips were the best I've had in a very long time, and Lee is quite the host!

Dog Beds

I just have them made..... a sleeve and foam....velcro closure

I agree - Lee is a great host. A real character! I hope you had a great visit with your parents. :-)

Dog Beds
I just have them made..... a sleeve and foam....velcro closure
-@WillieWeb

Great idea! If I can find fabric and foam, I can make them myself! (...rushing off to find chew-proof fabric...)

All fabric stores have something..... and they have foam, or an upholsterer will

Maybe try a furniture store where they make furniture to order , that where I got my foam to make a wedge pillow then I took it to a seamstress to make a zippered cover ,…basically the same idea  , good luck