Buying bottles of wine

I looked on this forum and could not fine any information.  I enjoy some good wine while watching the sun set and at dinner.  Ok, I like good wine a lot of other times too.  However, I do not know where to buy some good bottles of wine at a decent price in Las Terrenas.  If anybody knows please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Ginny

There is a recent thread 'Wine Lovers in DR' but it does not mention Las Terrenas.

You will find good wines at the French owned supermercado Lindo and there is a French owned wine bar too, La Cave a Vin where you can get good wines.

I always enjoyed a meal at the Atlantis Hotel on Playa Bonita where the owner is/was the chef of former French President Mitterand and the food was good and he always had a good wine list.

if you are in Santo Domingo do visit hyper market Carrefour where you will find a very good and large selection of French wines from vin de table to very expensive.

Thank you for the information.  We will be flying into Santo Domingo and renting a car.  Maybe we might be able to go to the place you are mentioning there.  Is it opposite direction then the direction we will be going from the airport to Las Terrenas?

Carrefour is the other side (west) of Santo Domingo so count that out.

With a large French and Italian community in Las Terrenas you will be good for decent wine at all places.

On the east side of Santo Domingo check out supermarket Bravo.  They have a good selection of wine.  They also buy small lots so you will find unusual wine.  There normal price is buy 2 and take 3.   I buy most of. My wine at Bravo.

By the way Lennox Carrefour has a smaller store in Bella Vista now!  Lots of good wine.  Nunez de Caceres and Romulo Bettancort.

Where is Bella Vista  at?

Las Terranas will have good wine.....

Its  in the center of the city of Santo Domingo.  If you leave the airport to go to Las Terrenas its a long way out of your way. 

Bravo in Santo Domingo  Este is a small detour for you!

Thank you everybody for your time in replying.  I thought I would have to be bringing wine with me.  Now with the help of all of you, I now know I don't have to do that.  I can now support the locals in town instead.

And that's the best attitude!!

Yes....no problem with wine in Las Terrenas, or we wouldn't be living here. Hah hah  :D

Supermercado Lindo has a great selection (Supermercado Pola not so much). And La Cave A Vin, as mentioned above.

I like your reply.  I thought I might be having to join lots of wine clubs back in the states before we moved there, if there was not any places to get wine.

I think one should state that you dont find a wide selection of US wines here in DR. Spanish, Argentinian and Chilean wines are most common but in LT you should find a good selection of French and Italian too.

lennoxnev wrote:

I think one should state that you dont find a wide selection of US wines here in DR. Spanish, Argentinian and Chilean wines are most common but in LT you should find a good selection of French and Italian too.

That sounds great to me.

Oh yes, California wines you do find here are mucho expensive. Most of the French wines I get at Lindo are about $11-12.

That is a reasonable price.  I am all for that.

We just found a little French bar that sells wines by the bottle. We bought a nice bottle there last weekend for $600 DOP.

Our biggest issue is ordering red wine when we're out. We've only found two places so far that keep it at the right temperature (NOT room temp!) - Hotel Atlantis and El Dieciocho.

Thank you for the information.  Good information for us to know since we mainly drink red wine.   Our favorite red wine is Pinot Noir.

I dont think I've seen a West Coast Pinot Noir in DR.

From Chile and New Zealand and from Burgundy and Alsace in France. French Burgundies(PN) are imo some of the finest wines anywhere but not cheap.

I buy a cheaper Pinot Noir from Carrefour by Pierre Bouchard & Son regularly and one from Alsace too. I like them chilled like Beaujolais from the same area.

There are good wines in Cap Cana however price is the issue, a $50 California cab in US you will pay around $150 for it.  So we try and bring a few bottles back with us each trip to US and we also have found the Argentinian wines to be priced better here than US wines. Not sure why

have u tried  carrefour market, the french market. i drink wine so prob will check that as lately been drinking french.
wheni clme back in june i will def will bring calo wines

Awesome wines at Carrefour and Bravo has small lot options of wine!

mark9789 wrote:

There are good wines in Cap Cana however price is the issue, a $50 California cab in US you will pay around $150 for it.  So we try and bring a few bottles back with us each trip to US and we also have found the Argentinian wines to be priced better here than US wines. Not sure why

Yes, Cali wines are very expensive here, and I suspect in other countries as well. But you can get good French wines here for a reasonable price. I am a big fan of Rhone wines so I'm in luck  :0)

Denise and I had our retirement bottle right before moving here, a 2014 Château Mouton Rothschild. We said we would never spend that much on a single bottle of anything ever again, but I don't know. It was so good   :idontagree:

We also love wines.  This one from Napa Valley, California is a red blend, called "689".  Made from Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Petit Verdot.  We had in some fine restaurants in Bavaro, but I found it in Iberia in Fruisa for 1200 pesos.  Alot cheaper than at the restaurant.  Never seen anything for $600 pesos, wow.  This wine is fine to have alone or with cheese or a meal with meats.   According to one description:

The wine is silky, smooth with ripe blackberry fruit, dark fruits, chocolate, savoury spice and balanced acidity. Tannins are soft and there is a touch of residual sugar on the palate.

Love it.  Hard not to drink the entire bottle once you open one!

We will have to look for that one!  I keep a "diary" of wines so I know which ones to buy again, since many of the wines locally I have not been familiar with.

I was looking for Zinfandel to go with Christmas turkey and went looking through the US wines available at many outlets in Santo Domingo. I found a few brands of tgat wine in Nacional in Bella Vista which had a small but decent US selection. But as noted US wines are very expensive (1000 to 2000 pesos) in DR with limited choice.

For the same money you can get a very good  Claret, Burgundy or Rhone Valley from Carrefour's wide French selection. For half the price there are plenty of excellent wines too and if you are budget conscious look for the offers and buy at under 500 pesos for good French wines from the southern provinces.

689 is 13,900 here in Cabrera