Menu
Expat.com

Scared to drive

Last activity 09 February 2023 by Larry Fisher

aalottjr

Ok so i live near Davao City and have been here since October. Im from USA and lived in UAE for 3 years and have driven all over the UAE and USA.

im actually scared to drive here as im afraid of the traffic.  So i have a driver that I pay 500 pesos a day if i need to go to market or the city.  I have a car. So in the USA any accident seems to end up in court. Is that the way it is here? The other night we are coming home snd almost hit a guy on motorcycle with no lights. I’ve seen two accidents here where the guy on the motorbike had no helmet and looked very bad.

The people here dont seem to care about lights, uturns, pulling out in front of you, or anything that is what im used to.

So

im looking for advice?

Does car insurance cover hospital costs?

Will I end up in court?

Do i just keep the driver and never get a License? Ive driven in Los Angles, New York City, Anchorage , Dallas, San Fran, Vegas, Dubai, but here is very different.

Terry from Texas

Tdionnet

I live in Manila and find it fun to drive here! Rules are basically yours….. and anyway, most people kind of drive slow indeed…

like anywhere in the world, you get different car insurance policy depending on the premium you are willing to pay

bigpearl

Welcome to the driving here aal. I would suggest Athens and Rome are worse but London, LA, Paris etc are better than here. I drive here with no worries but nerves of steel, My better half who rode his motorbike around Manila for years? Would not drive the hire care while holidaying here for years, even after moving here it took another 2 years for him to grab his goolies and drive in Manila, now not a problem, he got the gist.

Yep we have comprehensive insurance on the car but I'm sure in an accident if a westerner (me) is driving even if in the right, I will get the blame. Best to let the better half do all the driving, taught him well and never a scratch with him driving for 10 years. Australia and the Philippines.

Hospital insurance cover is piss poor, I think ours is like P250K so in a bad accident or death not worth spitting on. I don't know if you have a Filipino partner but if you do why not teach her/him to drive.

Seems from everything I have read and even witnessed that the locals tend to settle out of court but if a foreigner is involved get out your cheque book.

Good luck,

Cheers, Steve. 

danfinn

As long as you are a passenger I don't see how you would end up in court. You are very smart to hire a Filipino driver because when a foreigner gets involved in an accident (the other Filipino party thinks they have just win the lottery) they can be held responsible for settling medical costs and more, on the spot, regardless as to whom is at fault. The law seems to say "whomever can pay must pay" and not paying can put you in jail. Not so if you are just a passenger in a car you happen to own. I let my Filipina wife drive most of the time because she is from here. speaks the language, knows the culture and for sure will not allow herself to be taken advantage of.

danfinn
I live in Manila and find it fun to drive here! Rules are basically yours….. and anyway, most people kind of drive slow indeed…
like anywhere in the world, you get different car insurance policy depending on the premium you are willing to pay
-@Tdionnet

We just buy the insurance policy offered near the LTO offices when renewing registration. Not sure what medical liability it covers but I suspect it cannot be much at a cost of $40 per year. That essentially makes us self insured. Western style, expensive policies are available at western prices but we suspect those are complete ripoffs.

bigpearl

I would be curious to see if that is comprehensive insurance and what that covers dan,,,, If I may ask?

For 40 bucks? I'll change companies.

Cheers, Steve.

danfinn

@bigpearl Generally, when you renew your registration at the LTO you must purchase 1 year's minimum insurance and there are usually one or two insurance agencies nearby the LTO to help you do that. Typically I pay around 2400php for that. I never really read the policy, assuming coverage to be very low. We have been hit by a tricycle while parked but never bothered to try to collect. For body damage in a case like that, you can get it repaired in dumaguete for around 4000php and the work is excellent. My mother in law was once hit by a motorcycle and badly injured and that guy's miniimal  insurance paid out about 50,000php.

kristopherryanwatson

@aalottjr

I'm Canadian, and love to drive, but i absolutely detest driving here.

I was in two minor car accidents on two occasions travelling with Manila over a period of about 9 months, and when the police arrived to assess the scene of both these two incidents and recognized that i was a foreigner, it immediately became a mission of theirs to extort me for what they thought i was responsible for.  I won't go into the details as to how both these situations transpired, but thankfully, they couldn't outsmart me. The driver(s) and i were able to settle things externally and all went well.

I have pretty much given up driving within Manila. I have a driver by the name of teddy. I pay him about 5,600 a month which covers about 300 Klms of driving distance for said period of 30 days. not bad, in my opinion. he's wonderful and knows Manila by the back of his hand. not only can i confidently put my safety in his driving abilities, the return in benefit is that it allows me to be productive in the backseat to do some work on my way wherever i am going. the other obvious benefit is the offset of stress of driving here - the comparison of driving here  against driving back home in Toronto is like night and day.

If it is an expense you can afford, I sincerely encourage you to seek a driver to get you where you need to go.

I hope my insight helps!

bigpearl

So not comprehensive insurance.

Cheers, Steve,

chefm0408

Hi  Bigpearl,

The advice of Kristopher is feasible and practical . Get a driver for him to drive you who knows the area more better and also get a comprehensive insurance.

I'm  Filipino who lives abroad for a long time and came back here. Its just embarrassing the way the driving culture here when I came back. It shocks me as well. Defensive driving should be really your way especially in Manila and  police treatment as well. But if you have connections it can help you out.

danfinn

@bigpearl Probably not but does seem to have minimum coverage for property damage and bodily injury. In Filipino money, I suspect the coverage is good for locals but foreigners would consider it very minimal. 50,000php will buy a lot medical care in a government hospital.

Enzyte Bob

Quite a response . . . .

Before moving to the Philippines I was pondering what type of car to buy. Just coming home from the airport and seeing the traffic I had second thoughts.

When living in Las Vegas many highways in the city have a maximum of 45 mph (72 kmh). Even with less highway congestion I would see more accidents compared to the congestion in Manila.

In Manila while riding in Grab for the last four years, I don't seldom ever recall going more that 25 mph (40 kmh). Traffic limits the speed also no respect for traffic lights or stop signs if you can find any and too many motor scooters, jitneys and tricycles to dodge.

It didn't take long to forget about getting a car, at my age I couldn't cope with driving in the Manila traffic.

Grab works fine for me for convenience, freeing me from traffic anxiety and it's economical.

bigpearl

Sounds like a deal Kristopher, but that's only 10 klicks a day, is he on call or you have to arrange in advance? Best to just jump in the car and do it yourself. Perhaps a taxi? We used to live in Manila and no need for a car.

My partner drives me around for free and I drove him around over the years for free, I now pay him 12K per month as he is running the wages books, costs books, paying the wages all cash pay advances, What they all owe for vegetables and meat/fish, ordering/controlling materials and costs to local suppliers in Ilocano and Tagalog, haggling, buying, cash and costs (don't fret, I watch) helping to cook lunch and supply morning and afternoon tea for 9 guys working here. Translating to the guys as they don't listen to me or pretend to not understand and once he has translated it then becomes their fault and don't worry there are plenty and they always looking to blame others, his spare hours also paints and digs trenches, lifts, carries etc. He also shares with me the cooking, washing and cleaning in the house as always. Working hard and sleeps well.

Only my observation Is that the face thingy with workers here or the department store, government bureaucracy's, big enterprises, banks and I'm sure I can include insurance companies for cars always look for an excuse to get out of responsibilities and do their best.

As for the OP's topic? I find driving in a big city anywhere in the world exhilarating and the adrenalin flows, keeps you on high alert and then some.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.   

Filamretire

Is it just Manila or a big city that it's best to hire a driver? What about away from the city, is it ok to drive? I want to be able to drive around town for necessities (Tagaytay) is it not advisable?

bigpearl
Hi Bigpearl,
The advice of Kristopher is feasible and practical . Get a driver for him to drive you who knows the area more better and also get a comprehensive insurance.
I'm Filipino who lives abroad for a long time and came back here. Its just embarrassing the way the driving culture here when I came back. It shocks me as well. Defensive driving should be really your way especially in Manila and police treatment as well. But if you have connections it can help you out.
-@chefm0408

Yep I hear you but practical? Depends on ones situation and seems to work for Kristopher. It obviously works for some but others not. The driving skills here work, aggression, mid range or passive, you know I've only been knocking around here in PH. for 12 years but most accidents I see involve motorbikes (kallogs packet license) Jeepney's and busses. Cars rarely. That goes for Manila and here in  my province.

Only my observation.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl
Is it just Manila or a big city that it's best to hire a driver? What about away from the city, is it ok to drive? I want to be able to drive around town for necessities (Tagaytay) is it not advisable?
-@Filamretire

Left or Right hand drive , I have driven all over the different continents and never a problem, as mentioned in another submission Athens for me was the worst.

I have been to Tagaytay a few times and the traffic and hazards are minimal compared to downtown Manila.

Cheers, Steve.

kristopherryanwatson

@bigpearl

To answer your question: Yes. He's on call for me. I only utilize His driving services when I go to Manila, which is about once a week, or if i'm going to Angeles/Clark which varies between 1–3 times a week. otherwise, anywhere else is within only 10 klms or less. I'm quite comfortable taking a Jeepney from home to places such as SM or Robinson's or the grocery store, which is a trip made every 2–3 days.

aalottjr

Thanks

As I thought, I’m better off with my 500 pesos a day driver as he is quite good and knows where to go! Im amazed at how he can get around Davao.

Thanks I appreciate the responses!

Terry from Texas

FindlayMacD
As long as you are a passenger I don't see how you would end up in court. You are very smart to hire a Filipino driver because when a foreigner gets involved in an accident (the other Filipino party thinks they have just win the lottery) they can be held responsible for settling medical costs and more, on the spot, regardless as to whom is at fault. The law seems to say "whomever can pay must pay" and not paying can put you in jail. Not so if you are just a passenger in a car you happen to own. I let my Filipina wife drive most of the time because she is from here. speaks the language, knows the culture and for sure will not allow herself to be taken advantage of.
-@danfinn

No matter what the circumstance, it's always the foreigners fault.

pnwcyclist

I enjoy driving here as long as it's not in the city, which is generally slow and aggravating. We were in Cebu City over the weekend and it was terrible as usual. The only benefit being that speeds are so slow no one is likely to get hurt.  Dumaguete is mostly fine, much less aggression than in Cebu, but some congestion at rush hour. The place we live out of town, or the province in general is fine. Motorbike drivers, especially in the city are the worst - passing on the right and going up the left (oncoming lane) at lights. Things that cause drivers to be caught off guard. Passing on the right being the most egregious due to people naturally turning right into driveways, or pulling out, or stopped jeepneys, etc.

We keep full coverage on the car through an agency, liability and medical is 1M peso I believe. It's the least I can do if I hurt someone or especially a kid, even if they stepped in front of me. I still do a lot of the driving but I am very defensive from riding motorcycles all my life. I did put the car in her name though, on the recommendation of my agent, and she drives well after a decade of it. More patient than I am.

taccity

@aalottjr

All,

I have driven here for about 10 years now.  Nary a scratch on my car.  Yes you do have to drive defensively to say the least.  I had an owner jeep for a while and enjoyed it as long as it wasn't raining.  If raining I always got wet.  So I bought a 2014 Hyundai Eon for the aircon and added security.  My wife had a gold chain snatced from her neck. 

I do avoid driving at night, but sometimes have to if I have a late appointment.  I had to remove the tinting from the front windshield due to driving at night.  Anyway I would not be afraid to drive here really.  Just drive carefully and defensively.  I find most drivers here quite courteous really.  They do drive faster than me, but then I'm and old guy who drives too slow for them probably, LOL.

kristopherryanwatson

it is true as what has been mentioned about motorcylists. you will see the amount of motorcycle accidents far surpass he amount of larger vehicle-to-vehicle accidents just about anywhere. perhaps they think they are a lot more nimble to drive in and out of traffic as they do (passing on the left lane when they shouldnt) . until reality catches up eith them! they're not the stars of action movie/chase scenes that they think they are. i have always been a lot defensive when they are within my field of vision when was drving before.

GoDees

@aalottjr  Hello,

If your driver hits anyone/thing it is he who takes the blame. They will try to take money off you but tell them "I am only the passenger". If he has no money, they will get no money.  That is why so many trikes are hired out and there are no consequences for the driver, they just walk away.  Welcome to the Philippines.

rcvining

My Filipina wife of almost 40 years drove more than I did in the US, but will not drive here (Cagayan de Oro), so I've done all the driving since we've been here for almost 3 years. I have gotten used to the carelessness and suicidal tendencies of motorcycle riders and have learned to just calm down and let them kill themselves through someone else's hands. I learned early that there is only 1 rule for driving here: don't hit anything or anyone.

We had 1 bad accident - a motorcycle crashed across the front of our SUV as we were making a left turn; he was riding in the wrong lane, trying to pass the cars that had stopped for us. The police had no interest in laying blame - just called in "inattentiveness" on the part of the m/c rider. My insurance covered the repairs for our car. His bike was trashed, no idea how he paid for it. Luckily no one was hurt.

cjmvenice

Hello. My husband and I moved from the US to Davao City June of last year. I was born here in Davao and migrated to US later in life. Now we are back and had the same struggle as you are having here with the traffic. I have had 2 accidents since - first hit by a motorcycle and 2nd by a taxi. Both accidents not my fault as determined by the police. In the first accident the driver had no financial capability to take care of the damage on my Montero but his motorcycle has been badly wrecked. He had some scratches on his leg as well, nothing serious. So I agreed that we will take care of our own repair and we signed a waiver for this at the local barangay and also stating any medical attention needed, the other will not be responsible. Good thing I have comprehensive insurance and my insurance covered all of the repair when I brought in the vehicle in one of their accredited repair shops. The 2nd accident - i also filed a police report. The taxi operator paid for the repair of the damage incurred. It takes a lot of courage to drive here. The biggest frustration and challenge really are from the motorcycles on the road. They just weave in and out of traffic and seem to be oblivious to observing traffic rules. I have to overcome my fear after the 2 accidents. If I can avoid it, I prefer not to drive at night. I have learned that if the damage on the vehicle from the accident is minimal and there is no bodily harm, a lot of people settle to take care of their own vehicle. Most of the vehicles has TPL only which is Third Party Liability. To have comprehensive insurance is a lot more expensive so they only keep the minimum requirement which is the TPL. I hope sharing my personal experience has helped you some.

jewlzee1

@bigpearl my understanding of auto insurance here is like any other insurance here... you pay first they'll reimburse you later IF they decide to cover whatever it is. Comprehensive coverage is only for cars less than 10 years old.

After seeing at least 4 different foreigners standing in front of their car looking down at a motor bike "dumped" a foot or so in front of them I quit driving here and make my husband (Filipino) do all the driving. Like others are saying... as a foreigner you are at fault regardless and you will pay.

aalottjr

I do appreciate all the responses. It has convinced me to allow my 500 pesos a day driver continue. We only use him once a week. He sees things I do not and has the patience of Jobe. Today we went to Tagum City and he avoided two accidents that I do not think I would have avoided. The motorcycles are very surprising and yes at age 19 I had no fear on a motorcycle, but after a crash and a back injury I now have fear. Good luck to all you drivers out there!

Terry

philipperv

I live and drive in Davao City and the secret to my peace of mind is two fold. First I make sure to have full coverage auto insurance which pays whoever has damage. This is crucial because if you hit someone and they see $ signs they are bought back down to earth because they have to settle with your insurance company and not you. Secondly I have a front and back dashcam to show how the accident occurred. This can help prevent a lot of hassle if you were hit and the other driver is claiming that you hit them which often occurs.

pnwcyclist

Yeah, night driving here is in a whole 'nother league, and I prefer to avoid it, although we still go into Dumaguete for dinner a couple times a week. There are simply so many unlit or partially lit vehicles, with head or taillights out, pedestrians near the road, etc. It boggles the mind that they will ride a motorbike at night with no lights, but they do - one night recently we counted fully 25% of all the motorbikes we passed going home up to our town were running without a head or taillight, or both, or it was super dim.. and many of the tricycles are the same. I recently had the medium tint taken off the windshield and replaced with light tint. I would prefer nothing of course but the brutal sun makes it a necessity to have something on there as we are out and about a lot during the day.

Wayne 07

Most seemed to have answered your question. This is just additional. I have lived here for 8 years. I from the USA. I drive here. And have done so since I been here. Had a driver initially. It took a while to adjust. But now I can drive like local. You cannot learn it from a book. All experience first hand.

To drive or not to drive, thats the question. And only you can decide.

Moon Dog

My wife took out 3 guys on a motor bike the first time she drove in the Philippines. It was a classic example of a bike passing a vehicle on the left that was turning left. The guys on the bike were nicked up a bit and the wife had to pay P5,000 even though it wasn't her fault. I believe I would have avoided that one because I'm more aware of developing situations. I see it a lot so if the lane is clear ahead I just move into the left lane and let them pass on the right. I'm curious why so many disregard the left turn signal? Must be poor driver training. I've even been passed on the right when turning right.

I've driven in enough foreign countries to know each one has unique challenges for drivers from the US so I let my wife's uncle drive for a while and I learned from him. He always used his left turn signal when passing and kept it on until he was back in his lane and I recommend doing that. I also learned to tap the horn a couple times before passing which is really a no brainer.

It is about 35 kms from our house to Naval and the road has many curves. Sections of the road is now two lane and it is common to use both lanes to straighten the curves a little. It is tempting to pass when the bike moves to the right lane but it isn't safe to pass on curves especially if you're in their blind spot when they drift back into the left lane. I pay special attention to bikes with no mirrors since they don't know I'm behind them, and don't seem to care. I wouldn't ride a bicycle without mirrors let alone a motor bike, and at least half the bikes I see don't have mirrors.

Yesterday on the way back from Naval we were behind a bike that had many passengers. The lady on the back was holding an infant on her left hip and something in front of her. When we passed my wife counted 6 on the bike including infants and toddlers, and of course no helmets. To make it even more insane the bike was being operated by a young girl who looked to be 13 or 14 years old.

Larry Fisher

I just got home from my 1st trip driving into Cebu city from Argao with one location I had not been before and then onward to S&R. Maybe time spent driving Taxi in between ships in San Francisco in the 80's helped along with being a trucker. But awareness and constant eyes on whats going on ahead, behind, and alongside made the trip fairly easy. Even when dealing with unknowing drivers. Relax and wait my turn is my moto. No issues.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles