New Expatriot making the plunge soon.

I am about to make the move to just outside the city of Cagayan de Oro. I have been looking at properties nearby. I am looking near Gusa right now.

Why are you no longer a patriot?

Hello everyone,

Please note that several posts have been removed from this thread (off-topic + advertising).

@ golken51, welcome, please post an advert in the Housing in the Philippines section of the website. You will get some offers.

All the best

Bhavna

@goldken51  Nice area... we visit Cagayan every couple of months.  Good luck! 

@emvaningen I have fallen in love with a lady that lives there, and we will be married. We have planned (she leaves it all up to me) to buy some land to build on, that will have room for a large garden also. Something around 700 to 800 Sq. Meters.

@Wellsfry Thank you.

@goldken51  I recently purchased an existing home in the beach next to a light gouse here in Tag Ulo, Dapitan... Love it... have had 8 workers though for 2 months making it how I like... Definitely ready for privacy soon!  But everything is looking really really nice.  Plan to buy a little farm land also soon somewhere near.  My honey is a mountain girl and desperately wants a big garden and fruit trees so planning to do that next... Its funner in the Philippines!! (:

@goldken51 There are some useful posts on this forum about buying land, which as a foreigner you cannot, constructions to beat the law and the risk thereof and visa options to secure a level of independence you may want to consider.

Becoming expatriate is a big step, especially if it would be for an indefinite period.

My comment about ex-patriot was a joke unless you really mean leaving American politics behind.

Welcome to this country. Enjoy.

@emvaningen 100% best to leave American insane politics behind... especially now.

@goldken51

Have you met already in person ?

@emvaningen I definately will be leaving all the American politics behind. I plan to at some point become a philippine citizen. and for the property purchase. I have that covered. I will put the required percentage of ownership in my wifes name, who is a citizen there.

@emvaningen Not yet, but soon

-@goldken51

Hang on. Lets just get this right. You are planning probably what will be one of the biggest decisions of your life: to move to a third world country to shack up with a Filipina that you have never met in person and put effectively everything in her name i.e the land and property?

@emvaningen I definately will be leaving all the American politics behind. I plan to at some point become a philippine citizen. and for the property purchase. I have that covered. I will put the required percentage of ownership in my wifes name, who is a citizen there.
-@goldken51

Have you investigated what is required to become a Phiippine citizen?  Which language do you intend to master?

Becoming a citizen will require you to renounce your US citizenship.

Goldken51 your post heading said:

New Expatriot (Expatriate)  making the plunge soon.

You have no idea what you are plunging into. Never invest more than you can afford to lose in money, love and mental health.

@goldken51 I hope you have your finances secured. Leaving the USA and the security that keeps you afloat financially is a major consideration. I have been here in the Philippines 8 months married to a wonderful woman who was an auditor for the government in Cebu for 37 years. My suggestion is to live here, pay rent for a year before making the biggest decision of your life. You can get a permanent visa after year here.  Don't give up your US citizenship. The marriage may not work out no matter how much you love her now.

Good luck.

Gentlemen, I fear we have been wasting our time.

@goldken51 I hope you have your finances secured. Leaving the USA and the security that keeps you afloat financially is a major consideration. I have been here in the Philippines 8 months married to a wonderful woman who was an auditor for the government in Cebu for 37 years. My suggestion is to live here, pay rent for a year before making the biggest decision of your life. You can get a permanent visa after year here. Don't give up your US citizenship. The marriage may not work out no matter how much you love her now.
Good luck.
-@ronneygmccormick

Yes good idea. I was planning to rent for awhile before buying some place that will leave room for a good size garden and maybe an outbuilding or two.I wasn't aware that I could get a permanent visa after a year though. So that will be the route I take. Thank you!

-@goldken51
Hang on. Lets just get this right. You are planning probably what will be one of the biggest decisions of your life: to move to a third world country to shack up with a Filipina that you have never met in person and put effectively everything in her name i.e the land and property?
-@Lotus Eater

The land purchass is just a thought at this time, if I can find a way around it I may do it differently.

@Bhavna Not really much to see there for rent

@goldken51 Do yourself a favor my friend... Please reconsider jumping in head first... why the rush??  Come, rent a nice apartment for 200 - 300 bucks a month in Cagayan, and GET TO KNOW YOUR BEAUTIFUL FILIPINA... I am very serious... So so so many stories like yours... crash, burn, lost all.... please consider Not buying right away.  I listened to the same advice after my 28 year marriage ended and "fell in love" with a filipina and first came here... and I am Sooooo glad I did... you will know within a few months if this is truly a match made in heaven... of not so much.

@goldken51 I have fallen in love with a lady that lives there, and we will be married.

I have found through life experiences that love is a very bad reason to marry. Love affects decision making and causes folks to act irrationally. Men have put their wives though wood chippers because they loved them so much. I dreamed of taking my first wife for a boat ride to the shipping channel in the Delaware river wrapped in chain link fence and throwing her overboard because I loved her so much.

I'm living comfortably in the Philippines now on property that is in my wife's name but we have been married for 16 plus years and we have planned this move for more than 10 years.

Try falling out of love and take a clear eyed look at your plans. If it still looks like a good idea, go for it.

@Moon Dog If he hasn't met her in person it's not love, it's infatuation. Doesn't matter how many hours of video calls he's had, it's not the same as spending quality time in person

@Parvaze I agree 100%, she could be anybody. Some of the online scammers are very good. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

@Bhavna I do not see any place for me to post anything.

@Moon Dog Well that's how you feel, I am 71, and have never felt that way about anyone, even if a lady decides they want to start flirting with another guy, I just let them go, and move on. Besides with her or without her I am still moving there. I had thought about retiring in the philippines 8 or 9 years ago.

@ronneygmccormick

The marriage may not work out no matter how much you love her now.

But it sure will work out for her.

@goldken51 I understand 100% how you feel... And you could be right, and it MAY be the real thing... God knows I am glad that I rented when first arrived, and didn't buy... My first filipina was beautiful, smart, loving, sweet, everything... then i got here and moticed after my second trip over that she was different... Being in a cheater marriage for 28 years, I knew the signs... and I trusted my gut... I talked like you... was looking to buy property, had already purchased a jeepnee for her father, etc... then after my second trip hired a p.i.  just off my gut feelimg... and wow... ya... long story short, she was cheating with a guy that was the father of her daughter and i think it was a set up.... really hope for your sake that it is real... but just to be safe, and just because there are so many women that chat on the date sites professionally, and are extremely convincing I would keep my money in my pocket for at least 6 months.  Since then I tried again and now 3+ years later, it is absolutely the best thing ever... I found my beautiful amazing, super loving province girl... and she has not changed even the slightest in 3+ years....  whatever you decide....good luck my friend!!

@Wellsfry I was fortunate, this lady is a member of the church I preach for on messenger. She never reached out to me, I noticed she was liking everything I posted on Facebook. After maybe 4 or 5 days I started thinking hmm I wonder if this lady is interested in me, then decided to message her.and that was around 2 months ago. Now she wants to spend all her time in video chats with me. But I will still try to do like you suggest. On another note her husband died early last year. I looked at her pics and saw a few where her and her grown kids and grandkids were visiting his mausoleum, I could even make out his name on it.

@goldken51  Much better than meeting on FilipinoCupid for sure... Sounds great.  Happy for you both... Yes... Do try to take it slow.  You will be glad you did either way... Take Care! 😊

I myself would never rush into marriage, you said your ladies husband only passed away the beginning of last year and I personally think one year of grieving may not be enough.

I have made some bad decisions, ignored a few red flags and had some bad luck looking for a Filipino partner but the one thing I have always planned is never to rush into marriage if ever at all. I would visit several times, get to know her and her family. After that maybe takes holiday to one of the neighbouring countries together and bring her over to the Uk for a holiday also. I figure if she came to the UK, met my family and saw just how expensive things are here compared to the Philippines, then maybe she would have a better understanding of me and the cost of living.

I would also just before making the big move probably rent somewhere for six months on a trial basis to see how things went. A holiday is different from day to day living after all and I would want to know I did my best to prepare for an eventual move

@goldken51 Much better than meeting on FilipinoCupid for sure... Sounds great. Happy for you both... Yes... Do try to take it slow. You will be glad you did either way... Take Care! 😊
-@Wellsfry

Yup or even worse than that Cherry Blossoms.

Goldken 51 if only you'd stated you met her in church you could have saved us all alot of angst.

As a Church going true Christian I'm sure she will be legit. I mean they all are aren't they?

Lotus Eater - For such a religious nation, believing in god as they do, they do seem to break a good number of the Ten Commandments.

@Lotus Eater I did take a breath of relief for him also after the explanation...  But still... 😉

Lotus Eater - For such a religious nation, believing in god as they do, they do seem to break a good number of the Ten Commandments.
-@Cherryann01

I do miss The Dave Allen sketches 🤣

@Cherryann01 The time for grievance is not the same for us all, I myself lost my wife last march to a hemorrhagic stroke. I never even concidered ever looking for someone else. I had planned to just live out my life alone. Then several months later I returned to God, and a month or more after this all came about. I have since also had a lot of women start chat talks with me, and I quickly learned how to see all the scammers or the ones that had just stolen others photoes and created fake accounts. I have been right about 90% of them so far. because I stll make them friends just to see if I was right. I can usually tell from their first 5 sentances.  I thank you for your words of wisdom though. I apprecdiate everyones thoughts on this matter.

@Wellsfry "But still" That gave me a good laugh. Yes I will take it a little slower, and try to find something to rent first, and plan to see her often, have to see if she can get tired of me afterall. hahaha

@goldken51

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@goldken51 perfect my friend... Have fun.  😊