Menu
Expat.com

Thinking about moving to the philippines.

Last activity 01 May 2023 by LadySkinner1

nonngratum

Can anyone give me some advice on moving to the Philippines.thank you.

Moon Dog

Welcome to the forum. There are many things to consider when relocating to a foreign country. A lot depends on your interests, financial situation and physical health. You can find quite a bit of information by browsing this forum.

Are you familiar with the Philippines?

mugteck

Have you ever been to the Philippines?  Why are you thinking about moving to the Philippines?  Any special interests?

sekmet

As others have said, employ the search function and browse this forum. Filipino Pea videos are okay.

If you do go, go for about 6 months or more. Living here is much different than visiting as a tourist.

Enzyte Bob

nonngratum said. . . . .Can anyone give me some advice on moving to the Philippines.thank you.

Hmmm, Does non gratum define you? (Non Gratum Anus Rodentum)

Definition: Not worth a rat's ass.

pnwcyclist

Visit first, several times.

TitoDan

@sekmet

I Second sekmet's comments.   

bigpearl
-@nonngratum

Welcome to the forum nongratum. You question here is very open ended a bit like how long is a piece of string?

Perhaps introduce yourself and be a little more specific.

Cheers, Steve.

danfinn
-@nonngratum

Yes. Go to Amazon.com and order the following book for $25.00:

The Philippines Expat Advisor: A Guide for Moving to and Living in the Philippines

bigpearl
-@nonngratum

The Philippines Expat Advisor: A Guide for Moving to and Living in the Philippines
-@danfinn

Or simply get off your derriere and research online.

Cheers, Steve.

danfinn
-@nonngratum

-@danfinn

Or simply get off your derriere and research online.

Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

Not the best guidance. Too broad. Anybody knows you can research online. Specific suggestions were requested.

bigpearl

What specific suggestions?

From the OP.

"Can anyone give me some advice on moving to the Philippines.thank you."

A very lose and open-ended question, bit like me asking how I get to Mars,

The OP has not responded so put it to bed until he does. We are not his mother.

Cheers, Steve.

danfinn
What specific suggestions?

Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

Recommending a specific book or ebook might be useful.

bigpearl

Recommending tasting the flavours and getting your hands dirty is better, read all you like, personal experience wins the day.

Cheers, Steve.

Enzyte Bob
-@nonngratum

Can anyone give me advice on a self licking ice cream cone?

pilotdrh

@Enzyte Bob Brandon might be able to provide some guidance.

Cherryann01

I saw a You Tube video recently by Gio, he was giving advise on this but mostly from the side of preparing to leave from your own country. I remember some of the tips he gave. Anything with an expiry date on it, get it extended if you can. That applies to things like your passport, bank cards, driving licence, etc. No point arriving with a passport or bank card that has less than a year or so until expiry. Check information about what visa you can get. Also get a medical to check your in good health, get any necessary inoculations, any prescription medication your on, ask the doctor for extra so you have maybe a 3 month supply before you go. Get an appointment at the dentist to get your teeth checked out and any work done. Sort out medical insurance and make sure if you do have any health problems that you are moving to somewhere near a decent hospital.

If you own your house, are you going to sell it or rent it out or maybe you just rent your property. De-clutter and arrange for stuff to be moved into storage or shipped over. Sell stuff, take stuff to the tip, charity shop, etc. Sell your car if you have one. No point keeping it if you are not shipping it over. Who want reminders for car insurance, MOT, tax renewal. Then there will be a whole list of companies and people you need to inform of your move, gas/electric company, water, council tax, doctors, etc. Do you wear glasses, if so maybe get some new ones or a spare pair and tell them of your move also. Also if you do rent your property, do not forget to give your landlord notice of moving out and of course you will need to hand your notice in at work, how much notice do you need to give?

Inform family and friends of your move and new address in the Philippines, arrange to have your mail re-directed. Sit down, make a list of all the things you need to do and work through it. There will be many things I have not mentioned that need doing so think carefully. Then there is everything at the Philippines side to consider also. Also if you are at retirement age, make sure they know where your going and make sure you can access your pension.

I think just by reading this that you will now realise the enormity of the task in hand. So many things to consider and do before you make the move so please do your homework and go through every bit of paperwork in your house and see who you need to inform of your move and what needs to be done.

LadySkinner1

@sekmet Thank you for this information, we were thinking like 3months

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles