Menu
Expat.com

Sailing in the Philippines

Last activity 18 May 2023 by Peter Clark

Aeta Tribe

With more than 7,000 islands, the Philippines need to promote sail-cargo trade to make the country a more romantic and exotic destination for adventurers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0nz6pEhn80

dirk.c.

i lopve the Philippines !

but i regret it is almost inposibol to find small sailing boats for rent for tourists to enjoi.

i consider this a great opportunity for the person(s) with a view for busenis to invest and corner a niece in the tourist market wich has all the opportunity to make a great profit ,just build small sailing boats and sel or leese them out to beach resorts all over the ph ,this will also create jobs for sailing instructors and staf ,

i hope some one with a view for busenis will reed this and jump on the opportunity to make MONEYYYY and create jobs .

greets Dirk

ps; i hear ya all comming why dont you do it ? wel , I AM RETYERD! beeing retyerd for me meens ,stay away of getting involved in anny thing that wood ocupy me in anny thing other than fun . that's ITT. lol (but i love sailing small sailing boats , that's FUN.

Aeta Tribe

@dirk.c. Hi, I agree with you completely. There are lots of sailing yachts from all over the world that make landfall to the Philippines all the time, and there are only a handful of marinas that can make accommodations for those vessels and service them. One of the most well-known marina is called Subic Bay Yacht Club and Manila Yacht Club, where you can take sailing lessons and charter some of their boats. Unfortunately, these marinas are exclusively made for the well-to-do market and not the masses, that could use an alternative form of water recreations that is now within their budget as their buying power increases.

bigpearl

Agree Aeta Tribe, not that I'm a sailor but been on plenty of boats and ships, flown around the world etc. and there is a serious lack of Marinas in the Philippines compared to many other countries, I have a mate based out of Thailand with a 50 ft yacht that won't visit the Philippines for lack of facilities.

I have lived on a beautiful quiet beach here for 4 plus years and never seen a yacht sail past let alone anchor, on the horizon we see the cargo ships going back and fwd and the local fishermen only. I wonder why given other countries that have facilities for mariners?

Welcome to the Philippines.

Cheers, Steve.

Aeta Tribe

@bigpearl Exactly what you said, Steve. I’ve also met sailors from other countries who refused to sail to the Philippines for lack of marina facilities. I feel Philippine Tourism is doing itself a grave disservice by not exploring the potentially profitable industry of yachting in the Philippines to attract yacht owners from all over the world. The United States, perhaps even Canada and Europe, is already experiencing a declining market in the boating industry with the rising cost of docking fees, amenities, and services. With most of these yachts being built in Taiwan, Hongkong, and China, it is hard to believe the neighboring Philippines is still lagging behind in competing in this market. Hopefully, someone with lots of money will see the potential of the yachting industry (for business and pleasure) in the Philippines, and start investing heavily on boatbuilding and marina facilities, to help put this country on the map for yachting and other businesses that are associated with it.

dirk.c.

i was more thinking in the line of the averige tourist who visits a beach resort were they can rent a smal (2 to 4 ppl capacity) sailing boat to cruise sailing and have agreat day fun on the water .now that's the niece in the market i am talking of ,those rich yaht owners bring only very limmited job s in .wile the smal sailboat market creates manny jobs in the production of these small boats and in the customer related jobs in the resorts and also sailing instructors who can teach the customers but also the young filipinos how to sail and who knows one day we'l see filipino atletes compete ,and win , in the olimpic games sailing competition . after all this is an island nation with plenty training space .further more these small boats are easy to build at an afordebol price so why not ?

bigpearl

So not sailing boat, here it's Banka boats.

Cjeers, Steve.

martyn27

There are numerous places where, for a couple of thousand Php or less, 2-4 people can enjoy sailing at low cost beyond Subic Bay and Manila (BTW Subic Bay & Manila yacht clubs do not rent yachts and do not easily tolerate tourists unless you know a yacht owner Member and the member is on the premises). Try places such as: Taal Lake, Puerto Galera, Laiya (Batangas), Pagbilao (Quezon), Busuanga, El Nido, Albay, Boracay, Iloilo, Tambobo Bay (Negros Or.) and, Samal Island (Davao).

Yes, the cost of sailing can be high if you wish to rent a whole sailing yacht similar to the ones in the video: typically Php10-20,000 for half a day, Php35-50,000 for 24 hours, depending on the people capacity.

Yes, the small number of marinas in the country does significantly diminish the numbers of globe-trotting yachts entering the Philippines but the main reason for the lack of marinas is not the lack of available investment funds to build marinas but rather the absolute authority of local government units, which means that an investment can be made redundant at the stroke of a mayor's pen.

I have been a sailing guide around the waters from Subic Bay to Panay to Busuanga and specialize in knwoledge of the history and unique fauna of the islands in the vicinity. This year I will be gathering the same knowledge around the Davao Gulf.

I can most likely put you in touch with someone who knows what is available in any of the areas mentioned above if you email me: mwilles (at) pgyc (dot) org

Lotus Eater

If I may embellish the above maritime theme by recommending an excellent non-fiction recently released novel: 'The Wager' by David Grann. An 18th century account of a British frigate that gets grounded off South America after chasing a Spanish Galleon. Riveting stuff. Apparently a movie by Apple Films directed by Martin Scorsese is in the making.

If anyone cares to organise a nautical event sailing between the Philippine islands please count this ex Sea Scout in!

pnwcyclist

There are some resorts that have Hobie Cats for rent, but other than that, as mentioned, there is a real lack of sailing opportunities and facilities. I had never thought about the local government situation playing a role in that. I do know there were piracy issues in the SCS a few years back, and a cruising couple kidnapped/killed by Abu Sayaf.

Having learned to sail and charter on San Francisco Bay, where there are hundreds of sailboats out on a summer day, it is pretty weird that there aren't lots of them here, especially with the good prevailing winds.  I would love to do some small single hull sailing on a 5-6 meter boat with a retractable keel, and have considered buying one.

bigpearl

A tinnie or banka boat will do me but then again I thought about a jet ski as we are on the ocean and have good access until I saw my neighbour behind dragged his jet ski down to the waters edge after being bogged several times, It wouldn't start and they mucked around for hours then took it home, sat in his carport ever since, like the 2 BMW bikes and other toys never used, He purchased a banka boat, landed it on his lot and never seen water in 12 months, took the motor out 6 months ago.

Often thought about getting a tinnie or punt as our seas here are pretty calm most of the time, bit of fishing as I've never caught anything off the beach. Not seen an alloy tinnie here let alone for sale. My closest Marina is Subic some 4 and a half hours drive but I don't know what is on offer there.

In the mean time the wet market works, King size prawns for dinner.

Cheers, Steve.

martyn27

@pnwcyclist Regarding Local Government issues. Some few years ago I plotted a cruising route from Puerto Princesa to El Nido that allowed for around 20NM day-hops between anchorages with mini-marinas at each location. I had a funder for this and went to Department of Tourism with the plan. Department of Tourism told me it was a great plan BUT I should be aware that with any change of LGU Mayor a business permit for such may be revoked and therefore any investment may become redundant, as a result my funder was not impressed to continue the project.

That is why the only developed marinas are currently within Export Zones or within private property developments, e.g. Subic Bay Yacht Club, Caylabne Bay Marina, Punta Fuego Yacht Club, Maya Maya Yacht Club, Busuanga Yacht Club, Cebu Yacht Club and Holiday Oceanview Marina, where ownership and permits are tied to the property development and are not free-standing businesses that could be appropriated by an LGU on a whim.

Ergo, unless the regulations change in favor of protecting such investments from appropriation, the future development of marinas will rely upon property developers with coincidentally suitable coastline access and with the will to embrace marina development.

Development of anchorages and moorings face similar challenges although they are less likely to be attractive to appropriation because the rewards are significantly less.

The other related challenge that restricts the development of bareboat yacht charter are the MARINA and CUSTOMS regulations which (a) require a charter-yacht skipper to be a Philippine registered Captain; (b) charter yachts must be owned by a Philippine corporation; and, (c) a charter yachts must be registered in the Philippines – importing a yacht for such purpose attracts a 45% Customs duty based on the “value” that Customs apply to the yacht.

It is these regulations have prevented internationally recognized yacht charter companies from deploying charter fleets in the Philippines.

martyn27

@bigpearl thinking of a tinny or something similar? check our RDH Marine Subic . . . they import these and similar from Australia

bigpearl

Wow, didn't know that martyn. I will google, TY.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl

Thanks martyn, interesting, what I didn't see was trailers, great site though and TY,

Cheers, Steve.

martyn27
Thanks martyn, interesting, what I didn't see was trailers, great site though and TY,
Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

to my knowledge, most of the tinny type boats are sold with trailer . . . if you see something you like just give them a call or send an email . . .

dirk.c.
There are some resorts that have Hobie Cats for rent, but other than that, as mentioned, there is a real lack of sailing opportunities and facilities. I had never thought about the local government situation playing a role in that. I do know there were piracy issues in the SCS a few years back, and a cruising couple kidnapped/killed by Abu Sayaf.
Having learned to sail and charter on San Francisco Bay, where there are hundreds of sailboats out on a summer day, it is pretty weird that there aren't lots of them here, especially with the good prevailing winds. I would love to do some small single hull sailing on a 5-6 meter boat with a retractable keel, and have considered buying one.
-@pnwcyclist

i love sailing the small boats like caravel , 420 and 470 or the vaurien , i got my sailing brevet in these long time ago .

after some considering i desided to build one my selve as i have all the tools to do it and i spent way to much time on my laisy ass anny way hahahahahaha

i will fiberglas it inside and outside so it will last long time . and who knows give the sailing bug to some youghts so they can take over later wen i'm no longer sea worthy he .

greets Dirk

pnwcyclist
@pnwcyclist Regarding Local Government issues. Some few years ago I plotted a cruising route from Puerto Princesa to El Nido that allowed for around 20NM day-hops between anchorages with mini-marinas at each location. I had a funder for this and went to Department of Tourism with the plan. Department of Tourism told me it was a great plan BUT I should be aware that with any change of LGU Mayor a business permit for such may be revoked and therefore any investment may become redundant, as a result my funder was not impressed to continue the project.
That is why the only developed marinas are currently within Export Zones or within private property developments, e.g. Subic Bay Yacht Club, Caylabne Bay Marina, Punta Fuego Yacht Club, Maya Maya Yacht Club, Busuanga Yacht Club, Cebu Yacht Club and Holiday Oceanview Marina, where ownership and permits are tied to the property development and are not free-standing businesses that could be appropriated by an LGU on a whim.

Ergo, unless the regulations change in favor of protecting such investments from appropriation, the future development of marinas will rely upon property developers with coincidentally suitable coastline access and with the will to embrace marina development.

Development of anchorages and moorings face similar challenges although they are less likely to be attractive to appropriation because the rewards are significantly less.

The other related challenge that restricts the development of bareboat yacht charter are the MARINA and CUSTOMS regulations which (a) require a charter-yacht skipper to be a Philippine registered Captain; (b) charter yachts must be owned by a Philippine corporation; and, (c) a charter yachts must be registered in the Philippines – importing a yacht for such purpose attracts a 45% Customs duty based on the “value” that Customs apply to the yacht.

It is these regulations have prevented internationally recognized yacht charter companies from deploying charter fleets in the Philippines.
-@martyn27

Great info, Martyn. Really appreciate it. Sounds like you tried.. Interesting about the Philippine skipper licensing requirement - that definitely would kill the opportunity as most use American or International license.

Peter Clark

Philippine Home Builders Yatch Club - PHYBYC is a web site on Facebook where people get info and help with building boats from marine play. Michael Storer is a boat designer and has a website on Fb  STORER BOAT PLANS . He lives in Batangas and regularly sails his boats in TAAL Lake at the TAAL LAKE YATCH CLUB. I'm building one of his designs called the KOMBI which is a sailing/padle canoe. Look at these Facebook pages please.

pnwcyclist

Wow, Peter, that looks amazing. I watched the video on his main website and it was really flying.

What a great project.  Good luck with it!

Peter Clark

Some years ago the home builders club was more popular and there were some fun happeneings like a family who built a "Folding dinghy" and managed to squeeze it into their van and bring it to Taal lake. Sail was made from taupaulin and the family went off with smiles...good times. Some people built the equivalent of the "Mirror Dinghy" we have in the UK and had races. The new boat on the block is the "Oz Goose" which is a boxy desighn but rises to the power from the sails and almost Hydrofoils. Despite that, it is safe and easy to sail. Michael has introduced it to the Philippines and we have regattas and races for them.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles