Menu
Expat.com

Best way to transport personal Items to Panama David

Last activity 09 May 2023 by Dennis Melton

BarbaraSA

Good day

We have a few items that are special to us that would fit into about 4 of the Black wheelie plastic containers.  These are personal items we want to take over to  David with us.  I have struggled to find out the best method to get them over.  These are ornaments, clothing, photos etc.  I am not sure how much you end up paying bringing your own memento's over and which is the most affordable method.  These items are memories for us,  I just worry that we would pay astronomical amounts that are far more expensive than the items themselves.  We are coming from South Africa.

kgilberg59

This is a tricky one. The cheapest way to ship is via container ships, but they usually want you to buy an entire container, which is far more space than you'd need. Have you tried contacting a moving company in SA? Here in Panama, I'd suggest contacting Canal Movers https://canalmovers.com/index-en.php to see if they have some insights into getting your stuff to Panama. If you explain that there is no rush and you could wait to consolidate with another family to share a container, you might be able to get a better price. It's just a guess.

Another, albeit out-of-the-box idea would be to contact a South African company that exports to Panama. The one that comes to mind is Ceres the juice makers to see if they ship directly to Panama or if they ship to another country fist (say the US) before the shipments are further broken down for distribution. Explain your situation and they just might (although it's doubtful) let you share a container.

A third possibility is to ship your goods to a freight forwarder in the US and then have them shipped via boat to Panama. I have had heavy items shipped from the US to Panama that way and it's quite reasonable. I use Mailboxes Etc. I know they have an office in Boquete. They could set you up with an account and the address in Miami that they use for maritime shipping. It would probably be far easier to find a way to ship your goods to the US first, then on to Panama than look for a direct route to Panama from SA.

A final thought would be to contact a maritime shipping company in SA to see if they have boats that transit the Panama Canal and offload here and accept less than a full container's worth of goods.

I'm not sure if any of these suggestions help, but it's worth a try.

BarbaraSA

@kgilberg59 Thank you so much for the ideas.... I will look into these options for sure.  Really appreciate it.

kgilberg59

@BarbaraSA One thing I forgot to mention is that once the goods are in Panama City, it's easy to get them to David with a company called Fletes Chavale.

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : External link
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
BarbaraSA

@kgilberg59 Appreciate it greatly... thank you

Dennis Melton

Look at the prices for "extra baggage"  that may be the easiest and if not the least expensive way to bring them with you.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Panama

• Moving to Panama with your pet
    Moving to Panama with your pet

Bringing your pets to Panama is permitted, so long as certain procedures are followed. What follows is a guide; ...

• Moving to Panama
    Moving to Panama

When moving to Panama, much will depend on where you're coming from – and how sentimental you are. If you're ...

• Customs in Panama
    Customs in Panama

It is advisable to seek customs information through the official channels before travelling to Panama. Because ...

• Childcare in Panama
    Childcare in Panama

Education in Panama is compulsory for children from 6 years. In general, children attend pre-primary school as ...

• Sports in Panama
    Sports in Panama

A country as conducive to the outdoor life as Panama almost inevitably develops sport-lovers. In this case the ...

• Studying in Panama
    Studying in Panama

Panama has a good number of higher education institutions including some large universities. The public ones are ...

• Communicating in the local language
    Communicating in the local language

As a Panamanian who was fortunate enough to learn English and have some exposure to other different cultures ...

• Visas for Panama
    Visas for Panama

There are different types of residency visas in Panama, including those for retirees and others for people wishing ...

All of Panama's guide articles