Menu
Expat.com

Im seriously looking at panama for my family

Last activity 19 June 2021 by flashdrive20202

flashdrive20202

I’ve travelled to panama in my late teens (now nearly 40 and 3 kids in tow).
I’d never thought about living there until a lady told me she was relocating there.
Now I’m wondering why I’ve never considered moving.
I’ve sold my house. I’ll have about £20k after the mortgage is paid off.
What I was thinking is if possible (bare in mind ive just had my mind blown with thinking of moving. So loads of research is needed). Move us for 6 months on a temporary work visa. If we like it look at making it a long term to become citizens arrangement.

Am I being insane thinking. Is that even possible?
Are single parents accepted in panama. I lived in a small village in France which didn’t accept single mums. It was rough. I don’t want to make the mistake again.
I have no family to leave behind. All my friends are slowly moving abroad as well.

kristc99

I think you'd be fine as a single mom. I've found people friendly and accepting.
But, how would you make a living? Consult a lawyer about the recent changes to work visas. Getting a job here isn't easy and many don't pay much. And, don't plan to become a citizen. That rarely happens.

Emerald0100

Hello. 
Do you know what sort of work you would do in Panama ?  Are there job opportunities you have researched there ?   Getting a work visa is not striaghtforward.   No issue with being accepted but the job and the visa issues are the ones that you need to be clear on.    Cost of living is lower then UK.   Do you speak Spanish or willing to learn?   Do you know where in Panama you would live ?   Are the 3 children school age ?   Have you looked at schools.   Some things to think about   M

Panamajack&7

Hey Flashdrive 20202., I think you will be just fine.

Sure it is mind-blowing at first, but look at it this way what you are considering is called a "calculated risk". Don't be alarmed because a calculated risk is regarding something very important  and you are simply moving forward on it.  Many others would shy away from it and totally miss out on the opportunity of a life time.  Your children will thank you once you relocate. My wife and I are relocating this July after putting everything on the brakes due to Covid. We missed out on what we thought was the house of our dreams to find another that we are locking down tight. Keep in touch ok!  If you need a super realtor/broker I'll patch you through to her. Keep an open mind because things change and you will be fine. -Douglas

flashdrive20202

Thank you!
I’m done with surviving here in the uk. I’ll never get my hands on 20k in 1 go with no purpose again. I need to make a big move. My older kids are becoming the way a lot of English kids are. Entitled brats. They want it they get it!
That’s not how I want them to grow up.
My 18 year old is thrilled at the idea of living somewhere so exciting. 11 year old has to leave his pony behind (ive said for the 6 months if like to ‘try before we buy’ kind of thing.
I’d be looking to learn Spanish ASAP. Kids too.
I home educate my 2. Eldest being 18 has said he’d like to stay long home and be the stay at home brother to care for his brother and sister. I’m fine with that.

I’d be looking for work in the hospitality industry. Long hours for lower pay. Which I appreciate will be rough. For my kids it’s very worth it.
I lost my job here in England because of COVID. Rather than loose my home I’ve sold it/ the money needs to work for me.
My ex doesn’t care what i do or where I go with the kids and declined his parental rights so the world is our oyster so to speak 😊

Panamajack&7

Dear Flashdrive 20202,

See if you can learn real estate, ie becoming a realtor broker in Panama. Take online classes at first then I'll introduce you to our Realtor broker agent who owns her own company.

-Douglas

flashdrive20202

Hi Douglas

Thanks again for your reply.

I thought we weren’t allowed to do that. That would be my ideal job. I was dragged up as a builders daughter so know a fair bit of the English older regulations and bits anyway

I’ll definitely have a look. Thank you!

gd11provo

Dear Flashdrive20202,

My husband and I, our 17 years old and our 2 furry friends are moving very soon to Panama. We have been living in the Turks and Caicos Islands for over 4 years, both owners of our companies. Mine is in the tourism industry (property manager - vacation rental - concierge services - travel agent), which was struck by the pandemic. As for my husband, he owns an M.E.P./HVAC company (Mechanic-Electricity-Plumbing and A/C). We are sailors (in fact, we will be sailing to Panama from the US), divers, and eco-friendly people. My son is also homeschooled - now studying online and starting university next January (online also).

As Douglas mentioned: "Don't be alarmed because a calculated risk is regarding something very important  and you are simply moving forward on it.  Many others would shy away from it and totally miss out on the opportunity of a life time.  Your children will thank you once you relocate."

That's what we did when we decided to leave Canada for the Caribbean - it was worth it!

I truly hope you will make that move - should you decide to do it, let us know: we would be happy to meeting with you in Panama.

All the best, Guylaine

Emerald0100

Flashdrive.  Thats great to hear you are committed to Panama and want to take the chance,   Very exciting and wish you well.   We recently secured  our PR visas under the old system and are familiar with the visa process.   I have a legal background and have other visas which helps.   My advice would be to make sure you understand the visa rules.   No problem at all entering as a tourist for short period with a return ticket to visit and see how you like it.   if you decide to stay there are several options still to get a longer stay visa other than by a substantial investment - Digital nomad  9 months etc,  a retireee visa       if you really want to live somewhere you will always find a way. but make sure you have researched all the options thoroughly.   Then there is the employment issue.   you may be able to get some good help from this forum. 

VISA
EMPLOYMENT/INCOME
HOUSING - where and cost 
SCHOOLS - OK home school
COST -  lower then UK 

M

flashdrive20202

I’m thinking Of going on a tourist visa if I can for 6 months. Seeing if we like the place and looking at a working visa while there.
My kids are super excited. I’m trying to explain to my 11 year old he can’t have a sloth or monkey as a pet 😂

Emerald0100

Flashdrive
thats sounds great.  from what I understand even though there have been changes to the visa laws it is still possible to get a 6-month tourist visa if you are from one of the countries that dont need to apply for a visa in advance to enter.   UK would be one of these so assuming you have a UK passport you should be fine.   All other countries that do need a visa granted in advance are limited to 90 days.    After 6 months you now have to leave for 30 days before re-entering.   Previously,  it was possible to leave for a day or two to a neighboring country like Costa Rica and just come back in on a new tourist visa.  This is called a "visa run". This meant there were people living in Panama permanently on tourist visas.   This is no longer allowed.     Before the end of the six months you will need to apply for an extension or a different sort of visa   OR  you  just leave for 30 days.
This is my understanding of the current situaiton but you will need to check this.   I am pretty conifdent you will be fine with 6 month tourist visa and this will give you time to see if you like living in Panama.  It will also give you time to look for work and find a lawyer etc who can help.    if I can help in any way let me know.    All the best for your adventure it sounds like you are very committed.     M

flashdrive20202

It looks like we have become very committed to the move. We’ve lived abroad before.
It seems such a sensible option. There’s just nothing in the uk anymore.
I find out Monday exactly how much money we will have to play with for the 6 months.  Hopefully it’ll end up being enough after commission and fees are taken off the sale of the house. I’m hopi my for 20k Sterling. I’m hoping that’s enough to move us and to live for 6 months.
My 11 year old has said for the 1st time in forever he knows what he wants to do when he grows up! He’s been very shut down. He wants to study zooology. He’s animal mad so perfect for him

Thank you again for your help. It’s making my choices far far easier 😊

Articles to help you in your expat project in Panama

• Moving to Panama with your pet
    Moving to Panama with your pet

Bringing your pets to Panama is permitted, so long as certain procedures are followed. What follows is a guide; ...

• Moving to Panama
    Moving to Panama

When moving to Panama, much will depend on where you're coming from – and how sentimental you are. If you're ...

• Customs in Panama
    Customs in Panama

It is advisable to seek customs information through the official channels before travelling to Panama. Because ...

• Childcare in Panama
    Childcare in Panama

Education in Panama is compulsory for children from 6 years. In general, children attend pre-primary school as ...

• Sports in Panama
    Sports in Panama

A country as conducive to the outdoor life as Panama almost inevitably develops sport-lovers. In this case the ...

• Studying in Panama
    Studying in Panama

Panama has a good number of higher education institutions including some large universities. The public ones are ...

• Communicating in the local language
    Communicating in the local language

As a Panamanian who was fortunate enough to learn English and have some exposure to other different cultures ...

• Visas for Panama
    Visas for Panama

There are different types of residency visas in Panama, including those for retirees and others for people wishing ...

All of Panama's guide articles