Moving to Panama

Single Empty-nestor wanting to move to Panama. My finances are in order. Just need help on where to begin. Best places for an American Ex-pat to live and secure housing. Any help appreciated. Would prefer the coastline and able to walk or taxi for living supplies and be near Ex-pat community. Willing to pay Ex-pat to help with transition needs

Along the seashore you will find the majority (but not all) of the residences are condos and apartments.  You will also find that the climate is much warmer and damper than in the higher elevations.    In the most well-known areas (Boquete, for example), you will not surprisingly find a higher ratio of expats to locals and you will also find that rents are higher than for comparable residences in less well-known areas.  The same will also apply to restaurant meals, groceries, etc. Throughout the country, you will find that there is a rainy season and a (relatively) dry season.  Daylight will run about 12 hours (plus or minus less than an hour) all year.  My favorite weather/climate website is weatherspark.com.  It seems to have data for essentially all the towns of much size, although the search can get thrown off with some of  the multi-part names (like "El Valle de Anton," which you will find under just "Anton."  They have full year graphics of both the temperatures and the "comfort index," which takes into consideration additional factors such as humidity.In my opinion, an indispensable resource for every step in and consideration for moving is Jackie Lang's Panama Relocations Tours, including their Guide (which is included if you take one of their tours but otherwise does have a significant cost).  Jackie also has a very active YouTube channel.  Her Guide is updated frequently and seems by far the most reliable way to avoid being "taken advantage of" including by well-meaning people who just happened to have a good experience with a usually less than trustworthy provider.  Her Guide has been the best investment I have made in years in terms of reliable benefit versus out-of-pocket cost.You will likely find two things to be true about asking questions on the various Forums: (1) The more specific your question, the more useful the response are likely to be.  (2) Many of the questions we all have (what is the best . . ., how is the best way to . . . ) have very subjective components and you are likely to receive differing opinions -- view those as being helpful and evidencing how personal likes, personality, prior experiences, and priorities influence impressions and opinions.  Fir me, these after suggest further research topics and are thus especially valuable rather than confusing.  Take care and good luck in your quest.

@medicparken Thank you so very much for all the information and direction you provided me with. Can't thank you enough for taking the time for such a thorough,informative response!!

You are most welcome and I was pleased to do it as so many have helped us along way.

Hi there. Welcome to Panama. I live in Praderas de San Lorenzo. About 30-40 minutes drive from the center of Panama city. My neighborhood is mostly families. I live in between panamanians. And so far its great. Everybody has a dog here, and most of the people have an unspoken understanding to keep it a kid-safe environment.  If you are coming to Panama, i suggest travelling first. I have a dog, so i accepted a rental house in acceptable distance from the airport, to start my reconnaissance of the country from here. My greatest tip is find a billangual local on social media or Couchsurfing or so. But since you are here, reaching out, u can loan mine. She speaks and understands English, and guides tourists. This sunday, she'll take me and others to the lake, in treetrunk kanoes to the locals who still live in the jungle, to waterfalls that would make every shampoomarketeer dream. She calls me a newborn Panamanian baby. She right.

The second most important tip is your visa. Most people dont know it, but tourist visas prohibit applying for work visas. Also. Panamanian companies must have a certain amount of Panamese employees, before being allowed to hire foreigners. But you can always work remotely, as skilled professional, or start a company. Besides that. Bring the basics in medicine. Something useful as Ibuprofen for example, is quite expensive here.

The last thing you need is an openminded spirit. When i arrived, i regularly thought i landed in the stone age. Warm water is unusual. I bought myself a waterheater. Mosquitos are tiny, silent and effective. I bought a fan, so they cant fly to my skin anymore. Cuz to them, im a sleeping buffet.. I sleep in the wind. Its nice and cool too. You will also have to get used to the heat. At the coast, and in the city, its unbearable for me. But inland, in the hills, its much more liveable. But even here, i rarely leave the shade between 10am and 4pm. The first days, walking ten minutes to the store, drew my clothes on my skin in a nice red color🤪. Its better after a month or so. Just dont forget the sunproducts. If u take care of the skin, she willl apapt. Oh. I almost forget the most important thing. Learn spanish. Not many locals had a chance to learn something else, so there wont be much of understandable communications. Even in the cities. Get the app Deeple to translate photos of written things, "voice translator" for the spoken situations, and just plain old google for your own writing.

And if you have more questions, or want to loan my guiding and guardian angel, just reach out.