The importance of local language in Belgium

Hey everyone,

As an expat, language questions often arise due to the need to communicate effectively in a new country. We're curious to read your experiences with learning and using the local language in Belgium.

Here are some questions to get started:

What is the local language spoken in Belgium? Did you learn and use it? How difficult was it to learn?

Are there any resources or services available to help expats learn the local language? What are your tips?

What is the dominant language in the business environment? Have you had to conduct business meetings in the local language?

How does language proficiency contribute to understanding the local culture? Are there any specific cultural nuances or expressions that expats should be aware of?

How important is the local language for daily tasks such as shopping, transport, health and other services in Belgium?

Let's share tips and advice on how to improve language skills and integrate into a new environment.

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

I have learnt basic Netherlands in 2 years. Was not easy to learn sincerely.

Where i am living majority speaking Flemish. In most common places over BE i can communicate Flemish but its indeed i have got some difficulties in Valon and Brussel parts.

I got 3 interviews as spoken Flemish and when its not clear we switchover to English. So dominant language is Flemish.

Its always important to learn local language in order to contribute with locals, understand what's happening  around and doing your daily routine easy . Its fixed by experience also in other countries.

To improve the language is always talk local language and make always practice where ever you are .

Hey maharaji1984,

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with us. 1f601.svg

If you don't mind me asking, in which specific region do you reside?

Between Flemish and Dutch, which one was easier for you to learn? And how long did it take you to become fluent in the language?

Cheers,

Cheryl

@Cheryl

Hi Cheryl ,

I'm living in Antwerp. But I have lived in different regions of Flanders .

I cant say I'm fluent but i think i do speak conversational level. It took me aprox 2 years included corona period.

When i mentioned Netherands i refer to Flemish so i didn't have any practice to learn Netherlands.

When i order something in Netherland we can barely understand each other :D

I came here last February and my husband and I live with my in laws around the West Flanders. I am here 3 months already and having my dutch lessons. It was pretty hard at first learning the language but now I am getting a hang of it bit by bit. It was mainly my husband and my mother in law helping me doing the talking for me but I can communicate a bit with simple greetings

Hahaha @maharaji1984

When i order something in Netherland we can barely understand each other :D

I like that part of your post. 1f601.svg

@MidnightRogue,Thank you for your contribution as well.

Continuing to learn, I suppose it becomes more manageable as time goes on.

I am also learning Dutch ( still at beginner level ) 1f600.svg

Very interesting language I must admit.

Cheers,

Cheryl

I speak little english and I work on words and phrases to improve it works I studied English for 4 years I am progressing as experience

@yamackadir  I want to go to an emergency language school 😅 flamenkçe end French is very urgent