Menu
Expat.com

Cygnal TV.

Last activity 16 June 2023 by bigpearl

bigpearl

Just asking the brains trust if their Cygnal TV drops out when it's raining, Cloud cover here seems ok but rain seems to block the signal.

Cheers, Steve.

Sebastien Filliat

Rain, little cloud block the signal of cignal parabola antenna, so try to avoid that operator and take sky tv instead

bigpearl

OK thanks Sebastien I will look into that now and what they offer.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl

Ah, fiber,

Cheers, Steve.

Sebastien Filliat

Your welcome, and yes it's fiber, after if you have no choice take cignal but it's really annoying sometimes.

bigpearl

Yes, some times in the wet, as is now, but the fibre companies are a pain to deal with as they just want to run the cable on the rendered block walls instead of burying, I even offered PLDT that we would dig the trench for water power, CCTV and their connection to the house, "no sir we can't do that"  what if I install the conduit and fibre and you connect later? "no sir you can't do that as it has to be our fibre cable" No problem sell me 60 or 70 metres of your fibre then. "No sir we can't do that we only install and can't sell it to you".

So if you install you will run that on my new walls, "yes sir" will it be in conduit? "No sir"

Told them to POQ and very happy with wireless, I would get the same cr@p from Sky i'm sure.

You tube and netflix are fine if Cygnal dies and I will suffer the rainy season.

Thanks for the hint Sebastien.

Cheers, Steve.

Jackson4

Can you build an outhouse on your property by the road and have them land the cable there? From the outhouse to your dwelling, you can do whatever you wanted. I wonder if that would work.

clownbob77

@Jackson4  Interesting thought process. I like it. smile.png

Bob

Enzyte Bob

F.W.I.W.

Several years ago I had PLDT and had poor customer service, so I switched to Sky.

For P3648 I get cable tv & internet. As I write this my download speed is 79 mbps and upload speed is 24 mbps.

bigpearl

@ Jackson4

I asked that also and the answer was no, "We have to go to the final point" and on reflection from my film days you can't just join fibre, to join a break or extension you need a technician with specialized equipment for correct alignment.

I am on wireless and get 40 down and 10 up, just tested. Watching Youtube or netflix never a buffer or miss a trick. Cygnal is fine until it pours rain, I just asked to see if there was an easy fix, thanks to all for your input.

Cheers, Steve.

vehicross100

I have CIGNAL for about 7 years now and for us it does go out during rain/heavy clouds but it’s not too bad, we just use the hbo/go, Netflix, prime etc when it occurs, but I do clean the dish a few times before the rainy season and spray some wd40 on it to help prevent rusting, maybe that’s helping

bigpearl

It seems to be only CNN and N and N and N but some suggest not to watch that channel, Fox, ABC Australia and all the other channels seem fine unless it's raining cats and dogs then we loose a few others.

I'll live with it and yes vehicross the dish was rusted after 3 years (beachfront) and when they installed it they didn't use the supplied braces for the installation but mild steel wire  and that rusted, broke and the dish went out of alignment in the next wind. They put a new dish and mounted properly,,,,, different supplier and no charge.

I will go up and check it later today.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl

Yep rusted and one mounting bracket missing an inch of steel. Dish shifted.

I sort of fixed it for now with a piece of rubber and a wedge shaped bit of wood, got it up to 75% signal and got most channels.

Ben rang them on Monday and they said if it's rusted and defective then we will install new for free...... the supposed technicians turned up and agreed it was defective and need a new installation but we have to pay for that and I said to Ben just do it for 1100 pesos and in a week or 2 we paint the sh1t out of it with red oxide and 3 coats of enamel. (purple)

No he said it should be free and he reminded me that I taught him the word principle. Near 2 hours on the phone over  3 calls while the technicians sat here waiting for an answer with their finger in their ass, they eventually left to do another job waiting for their boss to ring them to tell them to go ahead.

Would have been easier to simply pay 20 US bucks and be rid of them. Oh the joys.

Cheers, Steve

Enzyte Bob

bigpearl said . . . Ben rang them on Monday and they said if it's rusted and defective then we will install new for free...... the supposed technicians turned up and agreed it was defective and need a new installation but we have to pay for that and I said to Ben just do it for 1100 pesos and in a week or 2 we paint the sh1t out of it with red oxide and 3 coats of enamel. (purple)

I had a situation this week concerning warranties/ guaranties. I purchased a Samsung Refrigerator, it will be five years old at the end of August. Affixed on the front door it said the compressor is guaranteed 10 years. So I've looked at that every time I opened the door since August 2018.

Lately it has not been cooling correctly, so I had to do something. I had my stepson call the authorized Samsung repair center. They came out on a service call which cost P800 and told my stepson what repairs it was needing and gave him an diagnose what was needed. (I was in hiding). He said the repair center will call us in a few days with the actual price. They called and said it would be P7400, giving my stepson a complete breakdown of parts & labor.

Well four of them showed up, one driver, one repair technician and two trainees. The repairs were made and he also included a new compressor which was not on the list, but at no charge. The final price came in at P1500 less than the estimate. (I'm again I'm in hiding again while they were here.) I was in hiding both times as I wanted the Filipino price, not the Expat price.

I think they added on the compressor to stick it to Samsung for reimbursement.

A look on Google and it said the average refrigerator last 13 years and 40% of the Samsung's needed repairs within 5 years.

Hiding is important for all Expats, I learned my lesson as a newbie when I came to the Philippines. The first time my wife had a barber come out to give me a haircut for P250, when he saw I'm an Expat he wanted P500 after he cut my hair. Then I bought a hair clipper, my wife is my new barber.

The second time I needed a plumber as out toilet was out of order, when he handed me the bill it was for P10,000.

bigpearl

I know what you mean about hiding Bob big time, skin tax?

Cheers, Steve.

Dude55

Ever since my first visit in '97, I'm used to waiting in the car or don't park where they can see me, or stand over there and act like we don't know each other. 🙂

bigpearl

Been there Dude55,,,,, every day.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl

New dish, all sat channels perfect and no charge, was a fight to get there though. Happy camper now.

Cheers, Steve.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles