Menu
Expat.com

We want to call Penang "Home"

Last activity 03 August 2023 by wyngrove60

paddelia1

Hello. 

Considering moving to Penang for retirement. We both love Malaysia, the country, the culture, the development and the nature.

Coming from the USA (both US citizen) we plan to move within a few months.

We both went through multiple international moves and stayed in several countries we know the drill.

Malaysia wins over France, USA, Thailand, Taiwan, UK, Switzerland, all these countries.

I will be gathering all the legalese paperwork; I collect quotes for moving, I learn the MM2H program.

We will need RENTAL housing really quick after a few initial days in a hotel. We need two bath, 3 beds and a garage. We do not like stairs. Around 1800-2000 Sqf will do. Is there something like Zillow to help us find a place in and around Penang?

Thank you in advance. We need to move quickly, what is your advice to get all the paperwork, move in and else?

Do we have to have all the paperwork done before we set foot in Malaysia? Can we just show-up and do all the paperwork while in Malaysia?

Many thanks for any advice, Sincerely, Philippe and Florence.

Jhaymonina555

@paddelia1

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Offering commercial service and not advice
zareena mahomed

@paddelia1 wish u all the best..penang is a beautiful place...we just received our smm2h an are also moving soon

wyngrove60

You can just show up in Malaysia as a tourist and then do the MM2H stuff. I had lived in Malaysia for 5 years before I chose to do MM2H but that was back in 2008 and things may have changed since then.

As for property in Penang, I would strongly advise that you look at properties in Penang on the several Malaysian property websites, for example.

https://www.starproperty.my/

https://www.propertyguru.com.my/propert … enang-my07

https://www.iproperty.com.my/

Many of these websites have ads placed by agents and their telephone number is shown. So just WhatsApp them and even if you don't like what they are showing just make contact with them and let them know your requirements. Agents tend to work with each other and split their commission (which is paid for by the property owner and not the tenant). As for Penang, I have no idea on the rules there as I was only familiar with the KL area, but you can ask the Penang agents about commission being paid only by landlords.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Penang

• Expat death in Malaysia
    Expat death in Malaysia

The loss of a loved one is always a painful ordeal, but also often complicated for those left behind, especially ...

• Traveling to Malaysia
    Traveling to Malaysia

Malaysia is a popular commercial and holiday hub in Southeast Asia. The country attracts tourists and expatriates ...

• A few new and great cafes in Melaka
    A few new and great cafes in Melaka

Melaka, the oldest town in Malaysia and also a UNESCO heritage site, is a wonderful Food Metropol. So when ...

• Kuala Lumpur's neighbourhoods
    Kuala Lumpur's neighbourhoods

Kuala Lumpur is a real megalopolis, surrounded by suburbs and neighborhoods so different from each other that they ...

• Buying property in Kuala Lumpur
    Buying property in Kuala Lumpur

When you plan to move to another country or another city, your first concern is undoubtedly where you are going to ...

• The healthcare system in Malaysia
    The healthcare system in Malaysia

If you are moving to Malaysia alone or with your family, you will be happy to learn that this country has one of ...

• Getting around Kuala Lumpur
    Getting around Kuala Lumpur

One of the advantages of moving to Kuala Lumpur when settling in Malaysia is the quick access to many facilities ...

• Accommodation in Ipoh
    Accommodation in Ipoh

Compared to major cities in Southeast Asia, Ipoh is a more affordable choice and a dream come true for nature ...

All of Penang's guide articles