Menu
Expat.com

Visit to Malaysia November 2024

Last activity 13 October 2024 by Fred

CyMan

Dear Friends,

I shall travel alone to Penang (George Town) in November this year (2024) and will be exploring the possibility to retire in Malaysia based in Penang.

I very much hope to be able to meet with expats as well as Malaysians during my visit to enjoy some company whilst   exploring how things work.

Please let me know if you may be able to spare a little time to meet with me.

I shall look forward to meeting you shortly..

wyngrove60

Will you be arriving with your wife. Penang is a lovely place for couples to live.

CyMan

@wyngrove60   If I decide to remain, I will be accompanied.  For this visit, I want to explore options including MM2H and the possibility to visit three months at a time rather than taking full-time residece especially as I assume that it maty take some time and bureaucracy to obtain MM2H.  It would be good to be able to meet others who have gone through thr process while in MY. 

wyngrove60

When I got my MM2H in 2008 I used a good agent ad the process was very fast. Fortunately I only needed to place RM60k for my MM2H Fixed Deposit, which might be impossible these days. From 2003 to 2008 I lived in Kuala Lumpur but either did visa runs or spent months travelling around Asia - China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Vietnam, Singapore etc and never had any problems but it seems it is not so easy anymore. I only decided to get the MM2H because immigration was giving my Indonesian wife a hard time whenever she visited Malaysia. Her having the MM2H changed that.

If I wanted to live in Malaysia, I too would prefer to just stay for a few months at a time and then travel to other places for a month or two before coming back.

CyMan

@wyngrove60 Thanks for your perspective on MM2H and experience with its implementation.  Consequently, I may place a post in the Accommodation forum.  I am very much looking forward to my (first) visit to Malaysia next month and will hope to be able to meet with expats as well as locals during my stay.

CyMan

@wyngrove60

Thanks indeed for your positive perspective. 

It's great news that you were able to achieve a solution that resolved the issue.

I will make more enquiries when I get to MY.

Kind regards,

Fred

I haven't been to Malaysia for 4 years but it's a great country for English speakers to retire to.

... if you can afford the MM2H thing.

I wasn't a massive fan of Penang but I loved Malacca. Nothing wrong with the Island - just preference.

Horses for courses- Explore the place and see what turns up.

Ipoh was interesting, but I wouldn't say it's a place to retire.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Penang

• Expat death in Malaysia
    Expat death in Malaysia

The loss of a loved one is always a painful ordeal, but also often complicated for those left behind, especially ...

• Traveling to Malaysia
    Traveling to Malaysia

Malaysia is a popular commercial and holiday hub in Southeast Asia. The country attracts tourists and expatriates ...

• A few new and great cafes in Melaka
    A few new and great cafes in Melaka

Melaka, the oldest town in Malaysia and also a UNESCO heritage site, is a wonderful Food Metropol. So when ...

• Kuala Lumpur's neighbourhoods
    Kuala Lumpur's neighbourhoods

Kuala Lumpur is a real megalopolis, surrounded by suburbs and neighborhoods so different from each other that they ...

• Buying property in Kuala Lumpur
    Buying property in Kuala Lumpur

When you plan to move to another country or another city, your first concern is undoubtedly where you are going to ...

• The healthcare system in Malaysia
    The healthcare system in Malaysia

If you are moving to Malaysia alone or with your family, you will be happy to learn that this country has one of ...

• Getting around Kuala Lumpur
    Getting around Kuala Lumpur

One of the advantages of moving to Kuala Lumpur when settling in Malaysia is the quick access to many facilities ...

• Accommodation in Ipoh
    Accommodation in Ipoh

Compared to major cities in Southeast Asia, Ipoh is a more affordable choice and a dream come true for nature ...

All of Penang's guide articles