Menu
Expat.com

How to uproot and move back to Thailand after 16 years in the U.S.

Last activity 06 August 2023 by PeteWN

PeteWN

Hi all, I'm Pete and a Thai-American. I was born and raised in Bangkok but left Thailand for school in the U.S. in 2007 and has not lived in Thailand since. I've only made short visits, a couple of weeks at the most. I had a pretty good job here in LA with a nice pension, but a family situation in Thailand changed the circumstances overnight and suddenly I was searching for a job that would allow me to be in Thailand with my family.

I am negotiating a contract with an American NGO who does not yet have a legal presence in Thailand and I will be managed by a PEO. An agreement is expected to be reached by the end of the fall, after which I must start the process of permanent relocation to Bangkok (where my family currently lives). I might have questions from the community on how to uproot myself and get re-settled in the motherland. I'm particularly worried about how to move my earnings over to Thailand and being in compliance re: taxation, financial reporting, FATCA, FBAR, and staying out of trouble with IRS. Is there a company or service in Bangkok that are specialized in assisting American expats with these issues? Any suggestion will be much appreciated. Thanks!

thepcman

Hi Pete, it sounds like you have an exciting journey ahead. Moving back to Thailand after living in the U.S. can be a big transition, and I understand your concerns about financial matters and compliance.

To assist American expats with these specific issues, you may want to look for financial advisory firms or accounting firms in Bangkok that specialize in helping expatriates. These companies often have expertise in dealing with tax, financial reporting, FATCA, FBAR, and other related matters for U.S. citizens living abroad.

You can start by conducting an online search for such firms, read reviews and testimonials, and perhaps ask for recommendations from other expats in the area. It’s essential to find a reliable and reputable service that can guide you through the complexities of international financial matters.

Remember to do thorough research and choose a company that has experience in handling situations similar to yours. They should be able to offer personalized advice and solutions based on your specific needs and circumstances.

Best of luck with your contract negotiation and your plans to relocate to Bangkok to be with your family! If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask.

PeteWN

@thepcman Thank you so much for your suggestions! I've been researching blogs and online forums. Although there are many consultants in BKK and some cut-and-dried online solutions but didn't quite find commentary or reviews for or against these. A lot of them seemed to also specialize in retirement, but I have decades to go before I can retire. I don't have many American expats contacts in Thailand and my hiring was the first true international hire for my company so I'm kind of anxious about the process and timing on my side. I'll keep looking though, but am also wondering if this is something for which the Thai PEO that my company is using could provide suggestions.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Thailand

All of Thailand's guide articles