Menu
Expat.com

Want to buy/build a home in the countryside (ISO stories)

Last activity 10 August 2023 by fluffy2560

QuestionsGalore

Hi all!

I was searching about home inspections through Google and ended up on here, and then read a couple of constructions posts, all of these were 2015 or 2019, hopefully the same helpful members are still here!

I'm a Canadian citizen who's been living in Budapest for the past 4 years. My partner is Hungarian, and the two of us are not married, but we're looking to buy a home together in the countryside. His interest is having a weekend home to rent out, whereas my interest is to eventually have a home to move into. We're open to buying land, and either building on it (no experience), or installing a pre-fabricated house. Another alternative is to buy a weekend home that is already usable, with minor adjustments.

So I have a TON of concerns of course. Please feel free to answer any of these questions, send links.. or share a story on a similar circumstance, or give any advice or thoughts. I'd prefer less judgement, but if you feel the need to, aha, I will accept it wink.png.

1) The first one is buying a home as a foreigner.. I remember in the past reading that I needed to apply for permission (which can take up to 3 months). Is this still the case if the co-buyer is Hungarian? Would it be easier to get married and have him buy the home? Is it the case in Hungary, that marriage is about property and division of assets? Is writing a pre-nup easy to do here?

2) What is the process of selling and buying a home if you are dealing with a private person instead of a realtor? What are some of the things to look out for? And what is the timeline? Is it normal to have contigent offers here? (e.g. if the house passes inspection, then we will buy)

2a) Is there a way to look up the past sale price of a home or property?

3) If we want to build on the land, what are the things we should research first? What's the process for getting a permit? Where do you look up these regulations?

3a) In some countries if the structure is on wheels or under a certain size, permits aren't needed. Is it the same here? What is the exact size, or specification for this? (e.g. if I decide to put up a geodesic dome or a yurt)

4) Stories, timelines, and costs of new builds? Do you work with an architect who has connections, or you do reach out to a construction company? I don't even know the appropriate questions to ask for this one XD. Initially I wanted to learn to build a sandbag/clay home on my own... I'm the sort of person that really enjoys research, learning, and doing.. yet at the same time, really values efficiency and can be very lazy when not intrisically motivated.. I suppose this question is more, have you ever built a home on your own, and how did you go about doing it?

Thank you sooooo much for reading and hopefully I'll gain some new direction from your thoughts and advices!

fluffy2560
Hi all!
I was searching about home inspections through Google and ended up on here, and then read a couple of constructions posts, all of these were 2015 or 2019, hopefully the same helpful members are still here!

I'm a Canadian citizen who's been living in Budapest for the past 4 years. My partner is Hungarian, and the two of us are not married, but we're looking to buy a home together in the countryside. His interest is having a weekend home to rent out, whereas my interest is to eventually have a home to move into. We're open to buying land, and either building on it (no experience), or installing a pre-fabricated house. Another alternative is to buy a weekend home that is already usable, with minor adjustments.

So I have a TON of concerns of course. Please feel free to answer any of these questions, send links.. or share a story on a similar circumstance, or give any advice or thoughts. I'd prefer less judgement, but if you feel the need to, aha, I will accept it wink.png.

1) The first one is buying a home as a foreigner.. I remember in the past reading that I needed to apply for permission (which can take up to 3 months). Is this still the case if the co-buyer is Hungarian? Would it be easier to get married and have him buy the home? Is it the case in Hungary, that marriage is about property and division of assets? Is writing a pre-nup easy to do here?

2) What is the process of selling and buying a home if you are dealing with a private person instead of a realtor? What are some of the things to look out for? And what is the timeline? Is it normal to have contigent offers here? (e.g. if the house passes inspection, then we will buy)
2a) Is there a way to look up the past sale price of a home or property?

3) If we want to build on the land, what are the things we should research first? What's the process for getting a permit? Where do you look up these regulations?
3a) In some countries if the structure is on wheels or under a certain size, permits aren't needed. Is it the same here? What is the exact size, or specification for this? (e.g. if I decide to put up a geodesic dome or a yurt)

4) Stories, timelines, and costs of new builds? Do you work with an architect who has connections, or you do reach out to a construction company? I don't even know the appropriate questions to ask for this one XD. Initially I wanted to learn to build a sandbag/clay home on my own... I'm the sort of person that really enjoys research, learning, and doing.. yet at the same time, really values efficiency and can be very lazy when not intrisically motivated.. I suppose this question is more, have you ever built a home on your own, and how did you go about doing it?

Thank you sooooo much for reading and hopefully I'll gain some new direction from your thoughts and advices!
-@QuestionsGalore

I'll be quick.

You can be named as a joint owner and as non-EU you need permission. For residential housing outside a protected area, it's unlikely to be withheld.  To protect your interests, you should wait for the permission and not put it in your partner's name only (your name must also be on the purchase contract). You can get married to get more automatic rights.

Anything with a roof or changes the height needs building permission. Changing windows or appearance of the house or the base area (like extending) will also need permission from the local government building office. If your plans are drawn up by a professional, then they are almost certain to pass it as the professionals know the rules and usually know everyone there. Once the plans are approved, minor changes could possibly be ignored. You need permission to live in a property. They may not come to look and may rely on photos you e-mail to them.

There is no way to look up past pricing easily (in my view, this is close to criminal). Lawyers can look but mere mortals, no.  However, if you know the property number, you can get the area map and details of the owner and any liens (loans or claims) on the property. It's public information but you have to pay a small fee for it.

Be aware the boundaries in the official maps may not be correct. Get a professional surveyor puts in markers and after purchase, immediately install a fence on the boundaries. If the boundaries are not correct or the neighbours disagree, it can take years to resolve. It wouldn't stop construction but it would mess up your garden plans.

Modernising a property can take years unless you have lots of money. Lead times on materials and labour are long. It took us over 2 years to make our house suitable to move into. But we completely rebuilt it.  We also just had our garden landscaped and that took about 6 months. It's hard to keep the builders on the job full time.

Whatever you do, select a property that has utilities already on site.  Do not believe real estate agents promises that neighbours will provide you with water, electricity, gas, sewage etc.  That's just high risk nonsense. Electricity is the easiest to get. Gas is just a gamble (re-routing a gas line can take months). Worst is mains water - that's not everywhere. Sewage might have to use a septic tank if it's out in the sticks. Not great but possible.

SimCityAT
Be aware the boundaries in the official maps may not be correct. Get a professional surveyor puts in markers and after purchase, immediately install a fence on the boundaries. If the boundaries are not correct or the neighbours disagree, it can take years to resolve. It wouldn't stop construction but it would mess up your garden plans.

-@fluffy2560

Have you sorted your issues out yet?

cdw057

@QuestionsGalore For almost bureaucracy (and neighbours), so much easier to be married (not my business at all)m why not would be my question. (I am conservative, sorry) Why to take all of these things (in Hungary especially)

cdw057

So easy if to be married (good and correct as well)

cdw057

@QuestionsGalore Reading and understanding concerns, BUT you have to trust your partner (probably speaking Hungarian), go together to all meetings (she can tell you) , I do not really understand concerns (I am Dutch, my wife orginally from USSR), I trust my wife fully, as I understand your wife is Hungarian (easy does it).

You should buy your house together (being married it is really easy)

50/50 , if you do not trust your partner, of course there is an issue.

cdw057

@QuestionsGalore By the way why new built, I bought christof001 (youtube) for EUR 175 K, 20 K repairs and finished (comfortable life from day 1) (sold for double, but that is another matter)

I hate complications, new built means complications.

More on principles, you trust your wife or not, trust new built?? (why to have so many years of headache)

So many good properties to buy,

I really do not understand why you create headache for you (and your partner)

fluffy2560

-@fluffy2560

Have you sorted your issues out yet?
-@SimCityAT

Yes. It took 3 years as the neighbours resisted. Mainly the old fella living there didn't want to cooperate. We had a lawyer on it and followed procedure to the letter. They didn't even turn up to the "court".

In the end, we recovered about 30m2 in the form of a 1m wide and 30m long strip down one side. It's now part of our driveway. As it turns out, the surveyor discovered the argumentative neighbour is missing 14m2 from the neighbour on the other side. What they are doing about that, who knows!

The biggest problem is the old guy. I wouldn't mind a bit more land if they'd sell it to me. With him still doddering around his garden, it's a longer term project. I want the land to get enough area to build a garage. I am just a little bit short of enough land to do it (as we can only have 20% built in area).

We know the people who would inherit the place so once the old duffer has kicked the bucket, we'll be in there asking if they'll do a deal on it (they have a very large plot).   Sorry to sound harsh and hard but he's not a popular guy in the street.  I don't think anyone is going to miss him.  He won't speak to us since we got our land back.

Marilyn Tassy

I'm not so sure how easy it is t rent out a house for just weekends .

Might be more hassle to rent to strangers then it's worth.

Most people I'd think would only want to rent near a resort area. No one wants to just be out in the countyside unless some big event is happening close by.

You can find out information about a property at the local land management office. I'm not sure if you can find out much info unless you prove first it's your property.

Some information is only for those who prove they have a claim .

They may charge a small fee as well.

Hungray has many decent little villages and some that people are just walking away from.

Just like anywhere some neighborhoods attract people who are peaceful and some who are looking for an easy way to live.

I was thinking about the Big Island where we used to live.

Some homes are fantastic in nice areas and some you don't dare leave because nothing will be left when you get home.

Mr Fluffy is correct, be sure the place has all the gas lines,electric in or you may find yourself in a mess.

We casually looked at a weekend house many years ago. They owner said the cesspol was connected the another house and they would share with dumping it when needed. Big red flag, no way.

Saint Coemgen

Funny thing is, we have been inquiring about this and just got some information today from local authorities where we live, and basically, where we live, if a trailer or camper, caravan, etc. has a valid license plate, you can park it on property you own without issues. Thus you can use it as a vacation "space" as is without permits. Such vehichles are assumed to have toilets, etc., so need no planning permission, it seems. **

But not a full time living space. To live there full time you have to get living permission as Fluffy said.

Any structure, geodesic dome, yurt, and even a tent up more than 24 hours, requires permits. Because, basically they want to know where you are gonna pee..... 1f60e.svg

** But still check the local authorities where you want to buy, before you buy, to confirm this is the same where you want to buy.

Saint Coemgen
Would it be easier to get married and have him buy the home? Is it the case in Hungary, that marriage is about property and division of assets? Is writing a pre-nup easy to do here?

One option. At the time of purchase you can have placed into the sales contract, and official land paperwork, that your partner buys the property but he gives you irrevocable life time use rights to the property. That is basically a property pre-nup in Hungary.

fluffy2560
I'm not so sure how easy it is t rent out a house for just weekends .
Might be more hassle to rent to strangers then it's worth.
Most people I'd think would only want to rent near a resort area. No one wants to just be out in the countyside unless some big event is happening close by.
You can find out information about a property at the local land management office. I'm not sure if you can find out much info unless you prove first it's your property.
Some information is only for those who prove they have a claim .
They may charge a small fee as well.
Hungray has many decent little villages and some that people are just walking away from.
Just like anywhere some neighborhoods attract people who are peaceful and some who are looking for an easy way to live.
I was thinking about the Big Island where we used to live.
Some homes are fantastic in nice areas and some you don't dare leave because nothing will be left when you get home.
Mr Fluffy is correct, be sure the place has all the gas lines,electric in or you may find yourself in a mess.
We casually looked at a weekend house many years ago. They owner said the cesspol was connected the another house and they would share with dumping it when needed. Big red flag, no way.
-@Marilyn Tassy

Weekends only is going to be a pain on cleaning and management.   Probably have to use an agent to arrange cleaners, gardeners and wotnot.  A lot of properties in cities and towns are going AirBNB  as it's so much more profitable than other methods of renting out.   

Those shared utility installations means the neighbours would get you over a barrel.  If the neighbours refuse a connection or try to get some money back on the investment, one could find this is a block on getting permission to occupy the place.  Neighbours in Hungary can be brilliant, just OK or a nightmare.  My secret weapon is Mrs Fluffy.  She diplomatically takes care of maintaining neighbourly relations.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Hungary

• Accommodation in Hungary
    Accommodation in Hungary

As is the case with most Eastern European countries, accommodation in Hungary is quite affordable. Being home to ...

• Buying property in Budapest
    Buying property in Budapest

Buying a house or a flat can be a good option if you are planning to long term stay in Budapest. However, it is ...

• Accommodation in Budapest
    Accommodation in Budapest

Finding accommodation will be one of your priorities, whether you are moving to Budapest alone or with your ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Budapest
    Popular neighbourhoods in Budapest

Choosing the best place to live in Budapest might not be an easy task as it will depend on the lifestyle you are ...

• Customs in Hungary
    Customs in Hungary

As a member of the EU/EFTA, Hungary supports the free movement of goods within the EU/EFTA area. There are no ...

• Childcare in Hungary
    Childcare in Hungary

As Hungary is an EU member, it adheres to the EU premise that all citizens should be entitled to equal childcare ...

• Sports in Budapest
    Sports in Budapest

Sports is a great way not only to stay fit but also to keep yourself busy during your stay in Budapest. Whether ...

• The work culture in Budapest
    The work culture in Budapest

Congratulations! You have been hired by a company for a job in Budapest. Depending on the position you will ...

All of Hungary's guide articles