Travelling around the islands

Would anyone be able to advise me if it's safe for a lone woman to travel around the islands. I would like to start off in Sao Vincente, during Feb 24 carnival and would like opinions on the best area to stay. I would also like to know how easy it is to travel around the islands. I appreciate any advice anyone could give me. Thank you

Would anyone be able to advise me if it's safe for a lone woman to travel around the islands. I would like to start off in Sao Vincente, during Feb 24 carnival and would like opinions on the best area to stay. I would also like to know how easy it is to travel around the islands. I appreciate any advice anyone could give me. Thank you
-@lornawynter

Hi Lorna,

Tens of thousands of single/unaccompanied women travel around Cape Verde without a problem. Just be aware that the men are super aggressive with foreign women and you may be accosted constantly. The reason is two-fold. They think single women are here for sexual escapades in exchange for money that are worth many months of local salaries. Secondly, they are looking to find a partner to marry them so they can get papers to immigrate. Many foreign women believe the lies the local men tell them about being in love. Don't make the same mistake that hundreds have made before you. It's a game of money and immigration.

You won't be in any danger from these suitors although for some women it can be very annoying if it's not what they are intersted in. However, the islands are also full of confidence tricksters and petty thieves. So take the normal precautions you would take anywhere you travel. Keep an eye on your possessions. Anything not nailed down is likely to be stolen and resold. Take pictures of all your possessions so you have a record in case anything is stolen from you. Do not come here with any expensive phones (bring a used unlocked phone). Leave all the bling and jewelry at home. Don't flash money. And don't believe any stories that you will be regaled with to entice you into traps where you will lose your money. And no matter how friendly someone appears to be, do not trust them as there are always ulterior motives (money and immigration) for them to get close to you. You'll never see them again, so there's no reason to try to be chummy with anyone. People will constantly beg for money or gifts. Do not give anything. No one here is homeless or starving no matter what stories they tell you. Every local has family in foreign lands who send them money on a regular basis. Maintain your distance.

Traveling between the islands is very easy. Most are accessible by the domestic airline. All are accessible by the maritime ferry services. You can purchase the tickets online, or you can go to any of the domestic travel agenciies located on almost every street corner to purchase them.

Best of luck on your travels,

Angelo