Issued wrong visa

Hello Everyone

I arrived here 2 weeks ago filled out my immigration card and applied for a ordinary visa (I can see on the immigration card that I definitely ticked ordinary visa)

Anyway since then I have acquired accomodation for six months as it was my intention to extend my visa for the same period, today I was preparing to do just that but on checking have discovered that I have been issued with a tourist visa.

Now I'm panicking , I assume I will have to leave the country and reenter to get new visa.

My question is if I was to get a cheap return flight to Bangkok can I pass through Thai immigration wait until the afternoon and then return to Siem Reap to get the correct visa and what kind of hurdles might I encounter in doing so.

Any advice will be most welcome.

Thank You

Hi -

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you still have about 2 weeks, so no need to panic.

I'm not located in SR so I can't give you a recommendation, but there should be some travel/visa agents that can give you advice and offer assistance. They probably have organized border runs to Poi Pet, in which you travel with others in a van/SUV and everything is taken care of for you. If you're on Facebook, look for Expats in Siem Reap groups/pages where they usually advertise.

Of course, you can do the border run on your own. You'll have to organize the trip yourself though.

As for flying into Bangkok and back in one day, it should be theoretically possible, but I have no first-hand experience to confirm this.

I got a tourist visa on arrival. A cuple of weeks later went to a local travel agency here in Siem Rea and had it extended to a one year retirement visa. They did take my passport fr about a week or less but it came back done and required no effort on my part. Maybe I did pay 2 or 300.00 for 1 year. Buch much simpler than traveling. Wade