Menu
Expat.com

Business bank problems

Last activity 23 September 2023 by GinetaG15

GinetaG15

I would like to appeal to anyone out their who can advise me on a problem I am having with my business account.

I moved to Dubai about 4 years ago when I set up my freezone company. When I opened the account the agreement was to work is USD. However, pretty much 6 months into the account opening I was getting slight harassment to operate in other currencies which did not sit to well with my counterparties, so nothing changed. About 2 years ago I was basically threatened that unless I started to make payments in pound or euros I could have problems with my account. So, I initially agreed and told my back to convert my account to a Euro account. Now this was the twist. My personal banker said they needed the account left as a dollar account but I would make Euro payments, there would be a "small" fee and a conversion rate, now the penny dropped. I initially was going to escalate as a CEO complaint but my personal banker was very clever by putting nothing in writing. I ended up doing a combination of USD and Euro payments. Then last year I went to make a payment to discover the account was blocked. I called my banker who didn't really elaborate as to the reason why it was blocked but said he would try and sort it. He called me out of office hours and told me that if I agree in writing to pay everything on the dollar account but in Euros, then he would get account unblocked. I sent the letter agreement and as if by magic, it was unblocked. To date I have received no complete single reason for the block. All compliance has been met, no change in business activities or clients.

Now, I have been toying with taking this to CEO level and more, although I have nothing in writing from them I am sure any outside observer would wonder why the account was blocked then unblocked when a Euro payment was agreed. However, I am hearing mixed opinions. Some say do it, others say there is no banking regulator so your stuck with your banks decision.

Has anyone had similar or can anyone offer some advice.

I would be really grateful

Phil

Articles to help you in your expat project in Dubai

• Opening a bank account in the United Arab Emirates
    Opening a bank account in the United Arab Emirates

As an expatriate living and working in the United Arab Emirates, you will need a local bank account to receive ...

• Opening a bank account in Dubai
    Opening a bank account in Dubai

In Dubai, opening a bank account is not complicated. You simply need to ensure that you meet some of the ...

• Accommodation in Dubai
    Accommodation in Dubai

One of the first things you will need to settle when relocating to Dubai is accommodation. If you are relocating ...

• Finding a job in Dubai
    Finding a job in Dubai

Home to 9 million expats, the UAE is a very popular relocation destination. If you are employed by a company in ...

• Study in Dubai
    Study in Dubai

Are you looking forward to studying in the United Arab Emirates? Dubai is a perfect choice, and the article below ...

• Buying property in Dubai
    Buying property in Dubai

Dubai is like a drug; from the minute you step into the city as a tourist, the love affair starts. Within a short ...

• Relocating to the UAE
    Relocating to the UAE

Relocating to another country, especially to somewhere like the UAE, involves a lot of preparation. However, with ...

• Discover Dubai
    Discover Dubai

The UAE is a country with over 9 million expats — and this alone says a lot. Dubai is the country's most ...

All of Dubai's guide articles