Menu
Expat.com

Bank Accounts in Dubai

Last activity 10 April 2019 by XTang

Maahi

Hi All,

i have one Q. Is it required to close bank account if not using?
or else what if some one leave the country without closing the bank acc.

thanks
MKP

hayat208

Hi, It depends on your bank totally. Few banks in Dubai allow customers to maintain non-resident account like Emirates NBD. You have to maintain some minimum balance and pay some annual fees. but you need to inform your bank before going to leave UAE and maintain a non-resident account.

Cinth

Thank you Hayat for the valuable information. iagree.gif  Ever since we came to Dubai, we have been banking with the same Emirates NBD in [link moderated] because it is close to where we live in Deira. Since we have decided to stay in Dubai for a long time, we are planning to take a home loan. Is it possible for us to take home loan from the any bank, coz we are expats?

XTang

This is an old post.

And to answer your question; yes if you are resident in UAE,  you can get a home loan as an expat.  The amount will vary depending on your income and other requirements.

Cinth

okay. we are non-residents as of now. just been here 6 months

XTang

Non residents cannot get loans unless they are residents of other GCC countries and very few banks have that offering.

suzanhusin85

It depends on your bank and its policy. Some banks allow you to retain the savings account in spite of being an expat. However, you need to maintain a minimum balance and pay the annual fees. Further, you need to inform the bank that you are leaving the UAE and maintain a non-resident account. Although some banks don’t have such policies, it is always better to talk to the bank to know the procedure.

XTang

Practically speaking, if you don't want banking facilities in the UAE and have no loans outstanding, you can leave.  After a while, your bank will mark your account as inactive when the ID in their system expires.   As an example, I left UAE in 2014, my Emirates ID expired 2016 and my account was only marked inactive in end 2017 (After sending me a lot of reminders).   Haven't faced any issue and my bank told me that they will reactivate the account when I come back and provide them with a valid Emirates ID.  This happened for both of my accounts with HSBC and Emirates NBD.  However, I did deactivate the credit cards over the phone before leaving - otherwise if there are fraudulent transactions or any charges, it would create problems for you.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Dubai

• Opening a bank account in the United Arab Emirates
    Opening a bank account in the United Arab Emirates

As an expatriate living and working in the United Arab Emirates, you will need a local bank account to receive ...

• Opening a bank account in Dubai
    Opening a bank account in Dubai

In Dubai, opening a bank account is not complicated. You simply need to ensure that you meet some of the ...

• Accommodation in Dubai
    Accommodation in Dubai

One of the first things you will need to settle when relocating to Dubai is accommodation. If you are relocating ...

• Finding a job in Dubai
    Finding a job in Dubai

Home to 9 million expats, the UAE is a very popular relocation destination. If you are employed by a company in ...

• Study in Dubai
    Study in Dubai

Are you looking forward to studying in the United Arab Emirates? Dubai is a perfect choice, and the article below ...

• Buying property in Dubai
    Buying property in Dubai

Dubai is like a drug; from the minute you step into the city as a tourist, the love affair starts. Within a short ...

• Relocating to the UAE
    Relocating to the UAE

Relocating to another country, especially to somewhere like the UAE, involves a lot of preparation. However, with ...

• Discover Dubai
    Discover Dubai

The UAE is a country with over 9 million expats — and this alone says a lot. Dubai is the country's most ...

All of Dubai's guide articles