Can anyone help me with this?

I would like to appeal to anyone out their who can advise me on a problem I am having with my business account.

I moved to Dubai about 4 years ago when I set up my freezone company. When I opened the account the agreement was to work is USD. However, pretty much 6 months into the account opening I was getting slight harassment to operate in other currencies which did not sit to well with my counterparties, so nothing changed. About 2 years ago I was basically threatened that unless I started to make payments in pound or euros I could have problems with my account. So, I initially agreed and told my back to convert my account to a Euro account. Now this was the twist. My personal banker said they needed the account left as a dollar account but I would make Euro payments, there would be a "small" fee and a conversion rate, now the penny dropped. I initially was going to escalate as a CEO complaint but my personal banker was very clever by putting nothing in writing. I ended up doing a combination of USD and Euro payments. Then last year I went to make a payment to discover the account was blocked. I called my banker who didn't really elaborate as to the reason why it was blocked but said he would try and sort it. He called me out of office hours and told me that if I agree in writing to pay everything on the dollar account but in Euros, then he would get account unblocked. I sent the letter agreement and as if by magic, it was unblocked. To date I have received no complete single reason for the block. All compliance has been met, no change in business activities or clients.

Now, I have been toying with taking this to CEO level and more, although I have nothing in writing from them I am sure any outside observer would wonder why the account was blocked then unblocked when a Euro payment was agreed. However, I am hearing mixed opinions. Some say do it, others say there is no banking regulator so your stuck with your banks decision.

Has anyone had similar or can anyone offer some advice.

I would be really grateful

Phil

@GinetaG15

Strange to see this.

As I know here in Dubai you can open business / personal bank account with first AED Account Number and then you can apply USD EURO GBP account. Emirates Islamic, Emirates NBD they have this facility. CBD also launch this recently, but I'm not sure.

So better from your existing bank reference open account in this way with another bank. Get Account first in AED and then they will give you another 3 currency account and account number to operate.

From USD EURO GBP when you transfer outside UAE, they will charge you remittance fees if you transfer in same currency, if you transfer from other currency then currency conversion rate also apply.

Thanks.

Thanks for that. I'm with Emirates Islamic and they seem to be a law unto their own. I have received nothing from them in writing regarding why the account was blocked or why they suddenly wanted Euro to apply a conversation rate. Is there any independent body that monitors the banks? In the UK we have the Banking Ombudsman for such things.

Thanks

Phil

@GinetaG15

You can reach to Central bank UAE who is monitor all banks.

Recently from last 2-3 months Emirates Islamic and ENBD both have changes their charges on Business and Personal account specially for Remittance.

Better to keep another bank in backup to avoid such situation.

Thanks.

@jayonline

Thanks for the information. Basically, it's not the rates it seems to be more greed. To go over the history my Personal Banker with EI has since the account opened been trying to sell me something; life insurance, credit card, office space, all the things I didn't need. The Euro was always getting mentioned when I refused other products. I agreed verbally to Euro only if the account was changed from a dollar amount to Euro but he didn't want that because of course, conversion rate. The whole thing came to ahead last year when the account was blocked, not closed but blocked. The email said it was internal banking policy... whatever that means. Verbally, my banker said it was because of a payment to a Russian bank which was completely nonsense. However, using his sale skills he said he could get the account unblocked if I sent an email confirming I would make payments in Euro.  So I did and the account was unblocked. Now, to date I have had nothing in writing regarding the products he wanted me to buy or even the Euro payments. When I have requested the information it gets ignored or some cryptic response that has no relation to the question. I have had no reason given written or verbal as to why the account was blocked and why Euro was the magic key!

I do have his text messages insisting on Euro payments but no emails or letters.

I don't know if this is his own scheme for his bonus or if someone is pushing down on him. It's obviously to do with extra money to the bank but my business does bring money to the bank and we are crystal clear with compliance. It doesn't make sense.

@GinetaG15

That's possible for his personal target he insists EURO as they get more incentive on Foregin currency remittance like USD EURO.

Any ideas on how I should peruse the matter?

Why don't you try a new bank and see how it goes.

My advice is to contact lawyer and dont let anyone make money on you or cheating. I was facing blackmailing and it stopped once i got help from the lawyer. Contact them and check what they can do for you: ***. They helped me a lot.

I hope you were comfortable with your bank accounts and release from confusions.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 months ago
Reason : Please share contact details in private. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@GinetaG15

If you want i can share contact with you for good lawyer, let me know