Condominium laws and regulations in Cape Verde

Hi

Would someone please point me in the direction of a document that details condominium (assembly) regulations in Cape Verde please or simply send me a copy. Also any law that relates to these regulations.

Many thanks

Hi
Would someone please point me in the direction of a document that details condominium (assembly) regulations in Cape Verde please or simply send me a copy. Also any law that relates to these regulations.

Many thanks

-@paulhepburn

Hi Paul,

There are no laws in Cape Verde that relate to Condominiums or Condominium Associations, or the regulation of such.

A condominium association is an unknown concept, except to the extent it is legally registered as a nonprofit organization (NGO), and in which case, the bylaws are whatever were created and voted upon by the founding members of the NGO at the time the NGO was registered (or as subsequently modified by the members).

Angelo

Very helpful,  wow this forum is great

Q. is it better to invest in Praia or Sal?

Very helpful,  wow this forum is greatQ. is it better to invest in Praia or Sal?        -@debo2571

Very loaded question! It's not an either-or answer.

Praia is the capital and is located on the island of Santiago which is home to more than half of the entire population of the country. The total population of Cape Verde is 500.000 souls.

Sal is a tiny island with a local population of 25.000...but Sal (and Boavista) is the destination for 85% of the tourists who come to Cape Verde, almost entirely from Europe. There are a total of about 850.000 tourists visiting CV annually.

Thus, in general, Sal (or Boavista) is where you would invest in a touristic venture like a hotel or an amusement park. Santiago is where you would invest in a commercial enterprise like a factory. And since there are 9 inhabited islands separated by water, you could establish a maritime transportation company to move people (locals and tourists) and goods (like food) around all of the islands.

Of course, these simplistic examples are just to give you a perspective of how to begin the process of thinking about investment opportunities in CV.

Cheers,

Angelo

@paulhepburn following this thread- as I have also inquired in Sal and never found any regulation, although I believe it should exist. At Camera Municipal here (housing and taxation authority) I've been told you need to hire and keep a lawyer to discern your own building's practices. Espargos city lawyer told me that is not true - laws to govern exist. But, the run around is - good luck finding these, or asking an official to issue any letter or printed request if not compliant in any way. I have had to deal with theft, (from management) deed and square footage of my personal space inaccurate when signed with notary, and also the neighbour's belief that my balcony/ terrace is publicly owned. To no avail.

@CVAngelo thanks for your response.

We have a large new tourist village on Santiago and are looking for an administrator. A couple of questions:

Who can be an condo administrator?

Does anyone know of a suitable person or body?

Thanks Paul.

@Tracy Thompson thanks Tracy

CV can be a very confusing place. We are trying to find an administrator for 160 apartments and 40 townhouses.

Any ideas?

Thanks Paul

Hi

Many thanks

-@paulhepburn

Hi Paul,

There are no controlling regulations, so anyone you choose can be a condo administrator. The key determinants are the job responsibilities and the qualifications you require for suitable candidates.

There's a special section of this Expat forum where you can advertise for jobs offered. Maybe you can post there.

You and I have communicated via the private message. I connect you to suitable candidates here in Praia. Send me a private message so we can exchange contact info.

Cheers,

Angelo

I must clarify/correct some things that I previously said earlier in this thread. There is indeed a law which governs condomium associations. The confusion is that the laws related to the condominiums were dispersed within the general provisions regarding public and private "buildings" in the Civil Code since 1967. The Civil Code dealt with all aspects of construction, so it was very generic in respect of condoiniums.

However, it was only in 2010 that the government adopted a specific law relative to the management of condominiums. The oversight responsibility rested with IGOPP (Inspecção-Geral de Obras Públicas e Particulares) but this entity no longer exists! I believe it now rests with IGCI ( Inspeção Geral da Construção e da Imobiliária) which is within the Ministry of Infrastructure ( Ministério das Infraestruturas, Ordenamento do Território e Habitação). So this is where the final word can be found regarding information relative to condominium associations. Of course, it is almost impossible to actually find the specific individuals in the ministry who are responsible or who would even know anything about the details. Another resource is the Chamber of Commerce.

This topic has peaked my interest and I will personally go to the Ministry (headquatered here in Praia) and to the Chamber of Commerce to see what I can find by way of easy to digest information.

Finally, I spent hours searching through the database of CV laws and lo and behold, I found the specific 2010 law relating to the management of condominiums!

I apologize for the confusion created when I stated that there are no governing laws. I had asked real estate professionals, builders and lawyers and yet incredibly (these kinds of things no longer surprise me) not a single one knew anything about it or could direct me to an actual law! It is no wonder that things can be so confusing in Cape Verde.

Angelo

Hello I am coming to Sal this week to make my WILL on property I own there. I understand I have to get a translator and 2 witnesses. How do I find these people, does the Notary have this service. Can I make a appointment on line for the Catorio de Santa Maria?

I have asked a Lawyer but the charges were nearly €1000 and I cant afford that cost. Can I do this myself?

Many Thanks

Jacqui

Hello I am coming to Sal this week to make my WILL on property I own there. I understand I have to get a translator and 2 witnesses. How do I find these people, does the Notary have this service. Can I make a appointment on line for the Catorio de Santa Maria?
I have asked a Lawyer but the charges were nearly €1000 and I cant afford that cost. Can I do this myself?
Many Thanks
Jacqui

Hi Jacqui,

We (Tracy Thompson and I) already responded to you on the thread you created for the topic!

I told you that you don't need a lawyer. You simply go to the Cartório and take a number. They will create the will for you in Portuguese in accordance with Cape Verde law. Do not write your will by yourself as it will probably not be in compliance with Cape Verde law.

There is a list of translators at the Cartório. Just call them uo. They will need to go with you to the Cartório.

Your husband can be a witness. Tracy, who lives in Sal, volunteered to be your other witness.

Please read the responses that we already gave you several days ago.

Best regards,

Angelo

-@jacquillull

@paulhepburn In Santiago the best person to ask would be CVAngelo.

I have experience from working in Civil engineering administration in Vancouver, Canada, and am able to assist remotely. If this would be a long term position, there is a possibility I could also relocate. Let me know if you would like a CV.

Kind regards,

Tracy

@CVAngelo Any chance there is an online link to this 2010 condo regulation info for future reference? Or did you find a hard copy I could search perhaps in library?

@CVAngelo

sorry i didn't know where to find the thread that i posted to you so thank you for your reply which i have received through email.

Found it now thanks

@jacquillull I can give you the name of a translator who is often called upon for translations at the Cartorio. He also came for me when I purchased the apartment. The cost is around 80 euros. write me in private: ***

Moderated by Bhavna 6 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@CVAngelo Any chance there is an online link to this 2010 condo regulation info for future reference? Or did you find a hard copy I could search perhaps in library?        -@Tracy Thompson

Hi Tracy,

You can find all CV laws at www.incv.cv, in the Boletim Oficial which is the online version of the gazette. However, it's all in Portuguese.

The condominium association law basically says that: a condo association must be a legal entity; it must be licensed; the fees can be assessed only for expenses that are common to all the condos; and it must keep and account for such condo fees in a separately identifiable account.

The more important issue is not the law itself, but that the law is operationalized by the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Therefore any information needed regarding the law is to be obtained from the Ministry and that is where I went to get the details.

Best regards,

Angelo

@paulhepburn

Moderated by Bhavna 3 months ago
Reason : Offering own services on the forum + email
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct