Pointers on finding a long term rental (Ladyville)

Hello All!

My name is David and I am planning on moving to Belize between May and July based on the sale of my home here in Florida. I've sent a few messages to real estate agents that advertise a lot of decent rentals between $500 and $600. However, none have replied. I could use some pointers on finding a long term rental.

I'd like to find a place within walking distance (a mile is fine) of the beach and a few local places for food and drinks on occasion.  I'm open to areas but Ladyville stands out for location and price.

I've read a good bit about things like residency, banking, etc so I'm open to any pointers from any of you as to what works best.

All Newbie questions I know, but who better  to ask than those who have gone before me.  I'm looking forward to meeting some good people here. I'm glad I found the site!

From my understanding long term rentals (especially the good priced ones) are only for citizens or those coming into Belize on the QRP (Qualified Retirement Plan).  Otherwise you are a ”tourist” and must stay in a BTB approved rental which tend to be more expensive.  if you're coming in on the QRP say that in your messages and you'll be more likely to get a response.

@homesickgypsy

Thanks for the tip. Are you currently in Belize under the QRP program?

@mistercouldbe

Hello and welcome !

Feel free to start a new topic on the Belize forum to seek advice from members. They will surely guide you.

All the best

Bhavna

Welcome David!  If you decide to look in the Corozal area let me know, we will show you around!

@deborahkey19

Thanks!  I haven't looked in that area yet.  I'll check it out!

From my understanding long term rentals (especially the good priced ones) are only for citizens or those coming into Belize on the QRP (Qualified Retirement Plan).  Otherwise you are a ”tourist” and must stay in a BTB approved rental which tend to be more expensive.  if you're coming in on the QRP say that in your messages and you'll be more likely to get a response.

-@homesickgypsy

That is totally not TRUE!   

False information like this can mislead folks.

Please verify what you tell folks.

@Aerodex actually, it IS true. I saw recently a very pointed BTB letter/email (to stakeolders) saying exactly that same thing.

https://www.belizetourismboard.org/vaca … long-term/

https://www.belizetourismboard.org/vaca … long-term/-@TexItalian

This is nothing new, it has long been required the property owner or their agent register with BTB and pay the tax on rentals. There is no requirement for a person on a Visitors Permit to also be in the QRP program as implied in the original post.

Rates are generally negotiable (much more so in person). That is another reason when first coming down to book into a short term hotel for a week or so while getting your sandals in the sand, then see if the area is a good match for longer term.

Many realtors are also rental agent's and there are companies that act as agents for owners that don't want to deal with all the "stuff" themself.

You don't seem to comprehend what the original question was. You are focusing on just the last sentence (9% tax) versus the crux of the matter.

Title of the bulletin: Vacation Rentals (Short-term) Vs. Residential Rentals (Long-term)

Here, for you:

Guests/Visitors who arrive in Belize on Tourist Visas and pay for Accommodation/Boarding must stay at an Accommodation Provider that is registered with BTB. Guests/Visitors who arrive in Belize on Tourist Visas and obtain monthly extensions to the initial Visa must also stay at an Accommodation Provider that is registered with BTB, notwithstanding the length of stay. Be it six weeks, six months, two years, etc.

Please focus on this and not the rest of the noise...

" it has long been required the property owner or their agent register with BTB and pay the tax on rentals."

ONLY IF THEY WANT TO RENT TO TOURIST !!!

Otherwise, no BTB involvement is necessary. And many, many lower cost landlords do NOT register with the BTB. Because they are only suppose to rent to Belizian/QRP/Permanent residents.

If you are not in those categories, both your landlord AND you can be fined. Granted, how often does that happens? Not very much (unless you piss someone off and get ratted out), but IT'S THE LAW!

Hello everyone,

Please note that this new thread has been created from your posts on the Belize forum so that you may better share infos.

All the best

Bhavna