Menu
Expat.com

Celebrations (Not The Chocolates)

Last activity 20 December 2023 by mugteck

Cherryann01

After watching a few bloggers listing their monthly expenses I have noticed that one of the things nobody mentioned was Celebrations and the cost to an Ex Pat. Examples would be Christmas, New Year, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Weddings and any other type of celebration. I am not just talking about buying gifts but everything else including the cost of the food, cake, drinks, and maybe even transportation for guests and clothes for Weddings and Christenings. I can imagine that if you live near your partners family and extended family the Ex Pat may be asked to contribute and maybe even pay the full cost.

So for all you guys and girls currently over there with a wife or partner - how far do you go? Would you for example pay towards your partners cousins birthday bash or maybe you just buy a present or maybe you just contribute for close family member. What about close family, will you pay towards the cost of Weddings and Christenings for a sister for example?

I could imagine this being a big expense for somebody who does not set boundaries.

stuleer

simple.........you take care of the family.

Cherryann01

simple.........you take care of the family.

-@stuleer

Close family only or all?

mugteck

Have a niece who had her first child, boyfriend in Canada still trying to get a divorce from his Filipina wife.  Not much else to do so they celebrated her birthday every month for the first year of her daughter's life.  When we are in town they usually come up with something to celebrate, birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, just to see what we will contribute.  One of the reasons life in cheaper for us in Baguio.

Wingfat

I did Thanksgiving ... Xmas is up to them.

leemckinney1154

@Cherryann01

If they are not your children, my advice, do not treat them like they are.  Most will not LIKE you but if you want to pay people to like you, spend away.

mugteck

Most family members think it is ok to use our van as long as they refill the tank when finished.  They never mention maintenance, inspections, licensing.  One family member got angry at another family member because he mentioned that there was something wrong with one of the tires.  Of course no one did anything about the tire problem.  My wife has decided to bring the van to Baguio next season and sell it.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles