Removal company - No COB

Hi guys!

We're arranging our move to Portugal while we await VISA approval. We've had to sign a rental agreement for the VISA, so it makes sense to move ourselves and our belongings over now. Like many others, we are wondering about the baggage certificate. (We will not have this until our VISAs are approved)

Algarve Removals have assured us we do not need this and that there are 2 different routes into the country. I've also seen some comments here where others have managed to get their belongings to their new home without the need for this.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Every other removal company is requesting a baggage certificate, so we're just looking to have our fears alleviated.

They seem great but we just wanted to triple check :)

@samanthafriend

We are using UpakWeShip.  They go through Rotterdam and drive it in by truck.  There is no requirement for the documentation you describe.  We leave mid-June, but will ship our belongings early May and the transit time is 2 months give or take.  We are only taking a pallet (U100) for about $2750.  They can ship up to a full cargo container.

@samanthafriend

I had the same concern and used Algarve Removals twice with no issues.

Amazing! Thank you both. Alleviated any fears, they seem great :)

Hi

Have no fears Algarve Removals are a great company we had a wedding  blessing  in the algarve and they collected ever thing  we needed from a uk address ,  dropped it off at the villa and three weeks later they collected  the  boxes and dropped them off back to the uk.  Hassle free .

@samanthafriend

Samantha,

The baggage certificate is only needed if you're into receiving your goods in Portugal duty-free.

If your belongings aren't estimated to be that much valuable to translate into a hefty customs duty (although "heftiness" is subjective), you can go by without a certificate.

A certificate can only be issued when you've got your D-7 visa; and it can be used for duty-free clearance of your goods with the Portuguese Customs only when either of your group (since it's "we") gets his or her residency. In my case, there was a delay between having to ship my stuff with its subsequent arrival into Portugal and getting a SEF interview with getting a residency afterwards. Applying that delay to Customs clearance, for me it meant having to store the goods somewhere either in the US (artificially delaying their departure) or Portugal (delaying their clearance with Customs). Both, unfortunately, were to cost some money (and extra loading/unloading which could have potentially resulted in dings, etc.). So, since those costs (import duties vs. storage) were, give or take, a wash, I opted not to Custom-clear the goods with the Certificate, pay the duties and get the stuff in my possession earlier.

Please keep in mind all these costs, including the unforeseen cost of trips to the Customs if they require your physical presence with the Certificate (at some ports they do), especially aligning the timeframes of getting all the required paperwork and permits with Customs-clearance.

Thank you!

Amazing! Thank you both. Alleviated any fears, they seem great :)